This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in West Palm Beach, March 2013

I noticed in the season brochure from the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts in West Palm Beach that ABT is doing a one night appearance March 23rd. I can't remember the last time ABT appeared in Florida. Many decades ago they did a week or two every January in Miami. Anyone know if this one nighter is part of a Florida tour?

I've done some searching around in the past weeks to see if they are stopping anywhere else in Florida, and I can't find anything, but maybe some performing arts centers have not announced. I wish ABT would put up their touring schedule for this coming season. Even if they don't have confirmation on all the venues and dates they certainly have some performances confirmed and could post them to their website. People need to make plans and trips (for example, I will visit my parents in Jupiter when ABT is West Palm). Every other company lists what they are doing, but for some reason ABT drags its feet. I understand casting and some things can't be announced yet, but they could do a little better job at putting things up. I also have to juggle two subscriptions with one time events, so it would be nice to know when and where they will be performing.

That Palm Beach event looks like a one-night fund-raiser. Presumably some of their richest NY supporters are in Palm Beach that time of year. They did something like that in February 2012 as well. Ditto for the LA fundraiser this September:

https://support.abt.org/specialevents

On the ABT Facebook page, ABT says (in answer to a question) that the 2013 Met season will be announced in mid-October. The 2012 Met season was announced (including principal casting!) on October 13, 2011.

I thought it was interesting that the Nutcracker BAM casting was announced last week, before tickets go on sale August 20. But we're still waiting for the casting for the City Center season, even though tickets for that have been for sale since July 23. I wonder if BAM and/or CC had anything to do with that.

Thanks, California, for the link. Yes, they've always had fundraisers in Palm Beach, but minus the appearance, so glad to see they will be performing. The Kravis is one of my favorite venues for dance or anything else. Beautiful theater - no bad seats - even on the sides of the nosebleed section. ( Please don't let them do The Leaves are Fading or Rodeo .....)

ABT did a couple of seasons in Miami back where they presented Swan Lake in 2007 and Kirkland's Beauty the following year, three performances each-(I remember being unimpressed with Reyes and Willes'Auroras and Part's Lilac and loving Nancy Raffa's Carabosse). For the folowing year they announced a run of Giselle-(which got me very excited), but it was cancelled. After that they never returned. Agree about the Kravis. Great viewing whenever you seat. I'm in for whatever they will do, so welcome! tiphat.gif

Thanks, California, for the link. Yes, they've always had fundraisers in Palm Beach, but minus the appearance, so glad to see they will be performing. The Kravis is one of my favorite venues for dance or anything else. Beautiful theater - no bad seats - even on the sides of the nosebleed section. ( Please don't let them do The Leaves are Fading or Rodeo .....)

I love the Kravis lay out, but I hate the color scheme. I wish they had picked a different color scheme. I think the colors make it look a bit kitschy, but I guess I will live! LOL The lobby with grand staircase and big windows and the horseshoe shape of the inside is absolutely wonderful. My parents live in Jupiter (20 minutes north), so I have always made sure my visits coincided with opera (in the past) and now ballet.

Bart

Cristian,

I understand why you don't like the Arsht, but did you ever see the Dade County Auditorium which was where Florida Grand Opera performed? I think it was the main performing arts center for a long time. Oh, my God! It was like a high school auditorium. Truly a provincial center. Miami was in DESPERATE need of a new performing arts center. The Arsht is not ideal, but the Dade County Auditorium was a total joke when Miami suddenly took off in the late 80s. All the performing arts organizations were very embarrassed. I think everyone was so embarrassed by it.

The Arsht has a different set of problems but I don't think it is embarrassing. The lobby is too narrow, and it does have a coldness about it, but you don't go, "I feel like I am in a third world country!" like you did when you walked into the Dade County Auditorium!

Bart

Arsht actually reminds me of a cruise ship. I always thought that was the theme...Carnival Cruise Lines, to be exact. :-)

Yes, I think Carnival was the biggest donor until Arsht gave even more and the Center gave Carnival its donation back, I believe. I think it was designed to evoke a cruise ship. That is what I thought too, and it made sense when it was the Carnival Center. Thanks for reminding me of that!