5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Ballet Arizona presents its fifteenth annual Ballet Under the Stars performance series. Preview in brief.

Ballet Under the Stars allows Arizona communities to enjoy a professional ballet performance in an outdoor setting complete with stage, lighting and costumes. On the schedule is the first movement from Ib Andersen’s “Sueños,” George Balanchine’s Stravinksy “Violin Concerto” and a sneak peek of Balanchine’s “Serenade,” which will be performed in its entirety in May.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Peter Stafford Wilson is appointed principal conductor of Tulsa Ballet.

But, he’s not leaving his local post, nor will he quit his other two jobs — as associate conductor of the Columbus Symphony and as music director of the Westerville Symphony.

“I don’t see Tulsa being any kind of impediment to my work in Springfield,” Wilson said. “If anything, it will continue to energize my work.”

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

An interview with Alina Cojocaru by Valerie Lawson in The Australian Business Review.

For more than a decade the Romanian-born Cojocaru, 31, a principal dancer at the Royal Ballet in London, has danced all the major heritage roles. But in all that time, no choreographer has made a significant work just for her. Frustrating?

“Not really”, she says. “But to be honest, I’m sad that in such a great company like the Royal Ballet these things did not happen. It’s 11 years [as a Royal Ballet principal] and I would like to think of it as home. I’m sad I had to go outside my home company to experience this.”

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Wayne McGregor will stage FAR in Wales.

Since its premiere in 2010, FAR has toured the world, picking up accolades for McGregor’s ever-insightful vision.

Performed by 10 dancers, it features a score by Brian Eno’s collaborator Ben Frost and visuals, including a computerised pin board of 3,200 LED lights.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

A review of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre by Jane Vranish for The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Another dancer to watch is Yoshiaki Nakano. He has always had the kind of bold technique (and subsequent audience connection) that can't be taught. But he still struggled with managing his lanky frame. That was all under control in August Bournonville's "Pas de Six From Napoli," which artistic director Terrence Orr staged for the seven dancers who remained in Pittsburgh during the tour (with some adjusting).

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Local kids get a chance to perform with the Royal New Zealand Ballet.

"It's fantastic to have them join in with us," RNZB lead dancer Sir Jon Trimmer said yesterday. "They get an idea of what life is like as a dancer and to perform in front of a big audience."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):