7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

A report on how Filipino dancers fared at the 2012 Asian Grand Prix International Competition for Students and Young Dancers.

For his rendition of the Greek myth of Diana and Actaeon, Rudolph Capongcol earned a bronze award in the Senior Division. Meanwhile, fellow Filipino Arnulfo Andrade Jr. was hailed as the most promising dancer in the same division.

For the Pas de Deux, Elpidio Magat Jr. and Joan Emery Sia also garnered bronze for their interpretation of Giselle Act II, a ballet inspired by a poem by Heinrich Heine.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Natalie Portman writes the foreword to Mary Helen Bowers' book "Ballet Beautiful."

She writes, "My posture looked like I'd swallowed a broom... I had the same body since (I was) 14. With Mary Helen, it's completely transformed. I gained length, strength and tone. Arms and legs changed shape. In awe of dancers' bodies - definition in their arms, strong legs and beautiful line extending from fingertips to toes... (plus her) healthy diet in conjunction with the exercises achieved our fitness goals."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

A preview of BalletMet Columbus' "Global Dance Stars Gala."

BalletMet dancers will perform Swan Lake Waltz. Adiarys Almeida and Nelson Madrigal of the Boston Ballet will dance the White Swan pas de deux while Greta Hodgkinson and Guillaume Cote of National Ballet of Canada will perform the Black Swan pas de deux.

This will be BalletMet’s fifth gala; the most recent one took place in 2004, Mitchell said.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

A brief interview with Ulla Savisalo, the producer of the Eifman Ballet's Australian debut.

Seeing 70-year-old Plisetskaya dance on her tiptoes for 12 minutes brought Mrs Savisalo to tears, but nothing has moved her more than Boris Eifman's choreography.``The first time I saw Eifman, there was five minutes of complete silence at the intermission; it was that emotional,'' she said.

An interview with Eifman.

Eifman said he was concerned that the case was dividing his country but distanced himself from the punk band's performance. "I was a dissident, but they're not," he said. "(Theirs) was an action against religion but not against politics."

In February, the Pussy Riot members entered Moscow's Christ the Saviour Cathedral and performed a song called Virgin Mary, Chase Putin Out. They were arrested and charged with "hooliganism motivated by religious hatred".

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

A review of the Eifman Ballet in " Anna Karenina" by Deborah Jones in The Australian.

The Australian

There are big hungry leaps, gymnastic lifts, complicated turns and tricky oppositions in the torso for thrills; deeply bent backs and proud arms for a heady sense of grandeur. It's intriguing, inventive and visceral movement. If that sounds like a lot, it is, and will be far too much for many balletomanes of delicate sensibility, who nevertheless would have to acknowledge the ferocious commitment of this tall, handsome company.

Related.

The company is named for Russian choreographer Boris Eifman. "It is the climax of our quest and our ballet style,'' he told the Voice of Russia radio program.

''We tried to stage a bright, emotional show, which is actually conquering the world today. Some people accuse this ballet of too much eroticism but when we show Anna's feelings, her immersion into the hell of passions we cannot do without erotic dance.''

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Dancers from the San Francisco Ballet perform in Fresno this weekend.

A highlight will be a performance by Davit Karapetyan and Vanessa Zahorianof of the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux by famed choreographer George Balanchine. (The music was written by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky for "Swan Lake" but never used in that famous ballet.) Permission had to be obtained from the Balanchine Trust to stage the piece. It helped that two such high-caliber dancers will be performing, Mosier says.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Robert Gravenor travels to Myanmar and teaches children there. Photos.

Most of the children in the photos were orphaned by Cyclone Nargis in 2008. I had 20 students in the class and they all live and study at the school in very basic conditions.

I hadn’t expected to teach and arrived totally unprepared, so I used an interpreter initially with lots of miming! I was amazed at how enthusiastic and grateful the children were. They have virtually no material possessions, no xboxes etc, yet they are happy. It really was a joy to see! Teaching at PDO was such an incredible, moving experience that I will never forget. The kids loved being introduced to ballet, classical music, creativity and exercise. I really hope to go back to teach again very soon.”

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,000 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Photos from Ballet Santa Teresa in Rio de Janeiro.

Ballet Santa Teresa is a non-governmental organization that gives children who live in areas with social risk, or domestic violence, free ballet classes and other activities as part of a socio-cultural integration project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):