• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes. The broadcasts seem to split most often between Alexandrova and Zakharova. If Osipova had remained, I assume she would have been the star of several addtiional broadcasts. (She had already been in Flames, Don Q and Copelia before she quit.) I do enjoy Alexandrova and Zakharova, but I would be curious to see some other Bolshoi stars too. I notice David Hallberg has not been in anything since Sleeping Beauty. Of course, he was injured for a time. Is he back dancing w. the Bolshoi during the non-ABT season?

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I notice David Hallberg has not been in anything since Sleeping Beauty. Of course, he was injured for a time. Is he back dancing w. the Bolshoi during the non-ABT season?

He sent out a Tweet on New Year's Eve, that he can't wait to get back and I don't see him on the ABT casting lists so far until the Met in May:

David Hallberg@DavidHallberg
Happy New Year @bolshoi_teatr. Cannot wait to return to Moscow and continue dancing on that gorgeous stage. pic.twitter.com/u5wFNJ9T

#18 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Alexei Loparevich Gamzatti, his daughter
Maria Alexandrova Solor, the noble warrior

Posted Image How radical!

(I know it was the formatting)

#19 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Well, if any ballerina could impress as Solor, surely Alexandrova would be it. Posted Image

I confess, though, that Zakharova as Nikiya is enough to make me less than enthusiastic about trying to catch this. I saw her dance it with ABT and though moment by moment she can be very striking and even, at times, beautiful, the performance as a whole was not memorable. Since that is how I have felt about almost everything else I've seen her do...

Generally, I also wish they would cast Obraztsova or perhaps Krysanova in one of these theatrical broadcasts...I'm curious about Smirnova too but accept seniority playing some role here. She is very young.

#20 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Well, if any ballerina could impress as Solor, surely Alexandrova would be it. Posted Image

Indeed!

Zakharova is also possibly the most commercially filmed of current ballerinas making it even less interesting to see her. I don't find her to be the kind of dancer who puts on a radically different performance based on different shows/partners. We can all just pop in her Bayadere filmed at La Scala with Bolle and probably see the same thing--she's too methodical. As a huge fan, I admit to not minding if Alexandrova gets the other lion's share of broadcasts, but there are many Bolshoi ballerinas I would be equally excited to see in place of Zakharova.

#21 Tiara

Tiara

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

Indeed!

Zakharova is also possibly the most commercially filmed of current ballerinas making it even less interesting to see her. I don't find her to be the kind of dancer who puts on a radically different performance based on different shows/partners. We can all just pop in her Bayadere filmed at La Scala with Bolle and probably see the same thing--she's too methodical. As a huge fan, I admit to not minding if Alexandrova gets the other lion's share of broadcasts, but there are many Bolshoi ballerinas I would be equally excited to see in place of Zakharova.

I do agree and am not excited by the prospect of seeing Zakharova - as you say, I do not find much variance between her interpretations at different times. The performance I would love to see broadcast is Obraztsova/Lobukhin/Tikhomirova - great roles in particular for the very exciting Lobukhin and high-flying Tikhomirova!

#22 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

It would be very interesting to see how Russians to interpret John Cranko's Onegin, and if or not there is any confilict with Anderson, although Bolshoi has the same Ballet Master: Reid Anderson and Assistants to Ballet Master: Agneta Valcu, Victor Valcu. I do hope to see Russian interpreting of John Cranko's Onegin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):