This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012-2013 Bolshoi season

I hope to God they don't junk the 3 ramps in their current (previous Bayadere). I love the three ramps in the Kingdom of the Shades!!! No other theatre does 3 ramps! At one point you see 4 lines of dancers descending! It is so magical. Normally you only have one ramp. After seeing 3 ramps you don't ever want to see just the one ramp! I know this is a small detail, but it is such a beautiful detail!

Thanks for the heads up, Cygnet. The premiere of Onegin sounds interesting. Any thoughts regarding possible casts?

Hi Rosa,

Onegin: I'd place heavy $s on Dave Hallberg with Zakharova. Ruslan Skvortsov, Semyon Chudin, Alexander Volchkov,

Misha Lobhukin and Dmitri Gudanov round out the male principals. I'd love to see Tsiskaridze participate in the production as well.

Lensky: I'd say any of the male soloists and leading soloists could be cast. The Bolshoi has always had deep male reserves in its ranks. IMO Chudin and Svortsov could essay both Onegin and Lensky.

Olga: Olga Smirnova, Anzhelina Vorontsova, Anna Nikulina and other ladies from the soloist ranks.

Tatiana: The active primas, i.e. Zakharova, Alexandrova, Kaptsova, Krysanova, Allash, Shipulina and Obraztsova.

Smirnova and Obraztsova could essay both sisters.

It will be very interesting to see how Filin will choose to pair the protagonists.

I don't think Filin will have too much of a say, actually, beyond "these people usually dance together"-Reid Anderson casts the principal parts in productions of Onegin and he can be quite finicky about who he lets dance in it (he has refused to let Sylvie Guillem and Tamara Rojo dance it)

I can't recall Zakharova as being listed for performing Tatiana as La Scala despite them having it on numerous times while she's been an etoile there--maybe Anderson hasn't wanted to cast her in the ballet? Should prove interesting regardless!

I don't think Filin will have too much of a say, actually, beyond "these people usually dance together"-Reid Anderson casts the principal parts in productions of Onegin and he can be quite finicky about who he lets dance in it (he has refused to let Sylvie Guillem and Tamara Rojo dance it)

I can't recall Zakharova as being listed for performing Tatiana as La Scala despite them having it on numerous times while she's been an etoile there--maybe Anderson hasn't wanted to cast her in the ballet? Should prove interesting regardless!

I'm ITA with you smile.png. Nothing is etched in stone - until the curtain rises. It would be a big deal at the Bolshoi if Anderson

chose other soloists besides 'the usual people,' as they say in Russia. In which case he may have a narrow set of pairs to choose from. For example, Zakharova has never been cast as Tatiana at La Scala (or elsewhere), and doesn't have the role

in her rep. This will be the Russian premiere: She may want to do it now for that reason. Since the Bolshoi has officially acquired the ballet, (due to the announcement with dates), I'd be surprised if Anderson hasn't already determined who his Tatianas and Evgenys are. Moreover, Filin and Anderson may already be in simpatico re the leads. Maria Eichwald danced Tatiana at La Scala last season, and is set to open their season with Bolle as Onegin in early September. Tamara Rojo did dance Tatiana when she first joined the Royal.

In the links for august 13th there is an interview with Svetlana Zakharova where she says:

I can't wait to make my debut in Eugene Onegin, which will open at the Bolshoi next year: it’ll be the first time that I’ll be playing Tatyana, another one of those dramatic roles that I love, where I can enter into it through my sensitivity.

It's being recorded on Jan 27. Nikia

Svetlana Zakharova Dugmanta, Rajah

Alexei Loparevich Gamzatti, his daughter

Maria Alexandrova Solor, the noble warrior

Vladislav Lantratov The High Brahmin

Andrei Sitnikov Toloragva, warrior

Alexander Voytyuk A Slave

Denis Rodkin Magedaveya, fakir

Anton Savichev Aya, slave

Anastasia Vinokur Gumpe

Yulia Lunkina

Svetlana Pavlova Grand Pas

Karim Abdullin

Ivan Alexeyev

Alesya Gradova (Boyko)

Elizaveta Kruteleva

Anna Leonova

Yulia Lunkina

Anna Okuneva

Yanina Parienko

Svetlana Pavlova

Maria Vinogradova Dance with drum

Anna Antropova

Vitaly Biktimirov

Igor Tsvirko The Bronze Idol

Denis Medvedev Manu (Dance with Jug)

Maria Prorvich Scene "Shadows"

First Variation

Anastasia Stashkevich Second Variation

Anna Tikhomirova Third Variation

Chinara Alizade

sorry this didn't format well. Will try again.

Yes. The broadcasts seem to split most often between Alexandrova and Zakharova. If Osipova had remained, I assume she would have been the star of several addtiional broadcasts. (She had already been in Flames, Don Q and Copelia before she quit.) I do enjoy Alexandrova and Zakharova, but I would be curious to see some other Bolshoi stars too. I notice David Hallberg has not been in anything since Sleeping Beauty. Of course, he was injured for a time. Is he back dancing w. the Bolshoi during the non-ABT season?

I notice David Hallberg has not been in anything since Sleeping Beauty. Of course, he was injured for a time. Is he back dancing w. the Bolshoi during the non-ABT season?

He sent out a Tweet on New Year's Eve, that he can't wait to get back and I don't see him on the ABT casting lists so far until the Met in May:

David Hallberg@DavidHallberg

Happy New Year @bolshoi_teatr. Cannot wait to return to Moscow and continue dancing on that gorgeous stage. pic.twitter.com/u5wFNJ9T

Well, if any ballerina could impress as Solor, surely Alexandrova would be it. smile.png

I confess, though, that Zakharova as Nikiya is enough to make me less than enthusiastic about trying to catch this. I saw her dance it with ABT and though moment by moment she can be very striking and even, at times, beautiful, the performance as a whole was not memorable. Since that is how I have felt about almost everything else I've seen her do...

Generally, I also wish they would cast Obraztsova or perhaps Krysanova in one of these theatrical broadcasts...I'm curious about Smirnova too but accept seniority playing some role here. She is very young.

Well, if any ballerina could impress as Solor, surely Alexandrova would be it. smile.png

Indeed!

Zakharova is also possibly the most commercially filmed of current ballerinas making it even less interesting to see her. I don't find her to be the kind of dancer who puts on a radically different performance based on different shows/partners. We can all just pop in her Bayadere filmed at La Scala with Bolle and probably see the same thing--she's too methodical. As a huge fan, I admit to not minding if Alexandrova gets the other lion's share of broadcasts, but there are many Bolshoi ballerinas I would be equally excited to see in place of Zakharova.

Indeed!

Zakharova is also possibly the most commercially filmed of current ballerinas making it even less interesting to see her. I don't find her to be the kind of dancer who puts on a radically different performance based on different shows/partners. We can all just pop in her Bayadere filmed at La Scala with Bolle and probably see the same thing--she's too methodical. As a huge fan, I admit to not minding if Alexandrova gets the other lion's share of broadcasts, but there are many Bolshoi ballerinas I would be equally excited to see in place of Zakharova.

I do agree and am not excited by the prospect of seeing Zakharova - as you say, I do not find much variance between her interpretations at different times. The performance I would love to see broadcast is Obraztsova/Lobukhin/Tikhomirova - great roles in particular for the very exciting Lobukhin and high-flying Tikhomirova!

It would be very interesting to see how Russians to interpret John Cranko's Onegin, and if or not there is any confilict with Anderson, although Bolshoi has the same Ballet Master: Reid Anderson and Assistants to Ballet Master: Agneta Valcu, Victor Valcu. I do hope to see Russian interpreting of John Cranko's Onegin.