5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

A story on social media and dance by Judith Mackrell in The Guardian.

Tomasson admits that, personally, he's a refusenik when it comes to technology: he doesn't even use email. "I see people in front of monitors," he says, "and I wonder how they have the time." But he knows how vital technology has become in accessing younger audiences. The majority of people now buy tickets online and, according to Carly Severn, SFB's digital co-ordinator, social networking has become a crucial way of steering them towards the company's website. Numbers are hard to crunch, but since she's been in place, 11% of their website traffic has come through the 300,000 people who follow them on social platforms: the extra traffic that comes through dancers' individual networking counts just as much.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

A summary of this week's episode of "Bunheads."

While Michelle’s ballet teacher mother-in-law Fanny (Tony winner Kelly Bishop) takes a long vacation, Michelle struggles to run Paradise Dance Academy by herself. As she tries to fix a leak in the dressing room ceiling, teach a never-ending roster of classes and give ballerinas Sasha, Boo, Ginny and Melanie relationship advice all at the same time, Michelle is so exhausted she can barely stand up.....

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Cape Town City Ballet presents "Peter Pan."

The ballet was last performed in 1981, when it was choreographed by the late Pamela Chrimes for the UCT Ballet School.

This year's version, Peter Pan and The Lost Boys, will be produced and choreographed by the CTCB's artistic director, Robin van Wyk.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Tom Gold Dance will perform in Bilbao. Item in brief.

The program will include Faure Fantasy, with choreography by Tom Gold, music by Gabriel Faure; Midsummer Night's Dream, pas de deux, choreography by Balanchine, music by Felix Mendelssohn; The Man I Love, pas de deux from Who Cares, choreography by Balanchine, music by George Gershwin and Shanti, choreography by Tom Gold, music by John Zorn

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Diablo Ballet presents a photography exhibit.

As Diablo Ballet says on its Facebook page, "You'll find info about Diablo Ballet dancers, tributes to dance legends, and even ways for crafty DIYs to make dance fun at home."

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,043 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

An interview with Hee Seo by Claire Lee in The Korea Times.

Though Seo enjoyed training in the U.S. so much that she didn’t even want to return to Seoul during her summer breaks, things haven’t been always easy for the dancer. But she is the product of a happy, loving family, Seo says, and it is her appreciation for her family that made her interested in other things in life, aside from ballet. She regularly supports children in need of foster-care, is keen on environmental issues and recycling, and has a teaching certificate for Gyrotonic, an exercise modality.

“I was injured a number of years ago to a degree that I couldn’t dance at all,” she says. “My mom called and said, ‘Just come home in Korea. You can’t dance even if you are in New York anyways. Just enjoy your mom’s food and relax.’ I was so devastated that I didn’t even want to go home. But when I did, I was surprised how nice it was to be with the family. I felt very fortunate to have the people who’d love me unconditionally no matter what. And the experience made me think about the ones who don’t have the kind of support and care I get from my parents.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):