This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New web site for NYC Ballet

It does look great! Other missing names are:

Callie Bachman, Stephanie Chrosniak, Vincent Paradiso, Shoshana Rosenfield, Stephanie Zungre.

The apprentices are now listed. That's so nice.

No new promotions....that leaves 2 female soloists

Noticed there are videos attached to some of the dancers when you click on their names.

The new website does look great. I feel so sorry about Morgan. I hope she is able to continue her ballet career somewhere else in the future. She was wonderful.

Adam Hendrickson retired, as noted on a previous thread.

I'm surprised about Callie Bachman. Didn't Martins create R&J on her when she was at SAB? She had a lot of promise, but once she got into the company her career seemed to fizzle out.

Does anyone know if the new website will have a Select Your Own Seats option, showing all available seats in each section and allowing a ticket purchaser to select particular seats (the way City Center, the Met Opera and Ticketmaster do)?

Thanks for the heads up, susanger! It looks like a real improvement in terms of both navigation and content. I like the fact that the repertory listing is accompanied by video clips, too, as well as a list of upcoming performance dates where relevant.

My only beef: why oh why must these sites insist on bombarding our browsers with all that annoying java scriptage ... ugh. Something like 32 scripts tried to load when I first clicked on the site. For those of us who either must or choose to routinely block scripts for security reasons, it's a real pain.

And I'm always sad to see names missing from the roster, even though after 30+ years of following the company you'd think I'd have grown used to it by now. It always feels like a friend -- or at least a friendly face -- has suddenly moved someplace far away before I could say goodbye.

On the old site, I found a PDF file with the entire season for 2012-13. I can't find that back on the new one. (Fortunately, I saved the old file on my computer!) Has anyone discovered where it is?

That overview is a nice way for out-of-towners to plan trips to see favorite ballets, but it would be nice to be able to check back before buying any tickets to see if anything has changed.

(I find much of the type very small and very hard to read against the varying background colors. Pale blue type against medium blue background? I could change the settings on my browser, but that shouldn't be necessary.)

Does anyone know if the new website will have a Select Your Own Seats option, showing all available seats in each section and allowing a ticket purchaser to select particular seats (the way City Center, the Met Opera and Ticketmaster do)?

I found a promising hint on the new web site:

http://www.nycballet...scriptions.aspx

As of September 5, you may place your order and select your own seats for Create-You[sic]-Own Series online.

Single tickets go on sale Monday, August 6, so we'll find out then if you can select your own seats for those, too. That would be such a huge improvement from the old system!

Doesn't it seem odd that Create-You[sic]-Own has to wait almost a month after single tickets go on sale?

I paid for my Standard Subscription back in June, and I'm still waiting for those tickets. I don't expect to receive those tickets until late August or early September, which is what occurred last year. (That is one reason among many that I significantly cut back on my subscriptions at NYCB.) I called the subscription office earlier this week to find out my seat assignment for my Standard Series, and gave my subscriber ID number. After a few minutes on hold, I was told that the information was not available. The administration over there is pretty terrible. Since the box office is opening in a few days, isn't it reasonable to assume that someone who paid for a subscription in June would have already been assigned a seat? They may be waiting to offer the pick your own seat option for Create Your Own subscribers in order to give themselves enough time to mail out subscriber tickets to people who paid for them months ago. Of course, this doesn't explain why single ticket purchasers are able to buy their tickets weeks before subscribers receive their subscription tickets.

I wouldn't assume that it won't be renewed. It's a way to sell tickets for unpopular programs. Right now they are still trying to fill/mail regular subscription orders. When did they send out the Society info last year? I think it was in August. Why not call and ask?

There is nobody at NYCB named Morgan Fairchild. The reference is to Kathryn Morgan. See separate thread herein under NYCB titled Kathryn Morgan, started by Ivanov several days ago, for Ms. Morgan's explanation, via her facebook page, as to why she left NYCB.

I wouldn't assume that it won't be renewed. It's a way to sell tickets for unpopular programs. Right now they are still trying to fill/mail regular subscription orders. When did they send out the Society info last year? I think it was in August. Why not call and ask?

I did call and ask -- they said no decision had been made, couldn't say whether it would be renewed or not. I wondered if they might just let it die, with no announcement at all, but I'm still hoping for the best! Maybe you're right that renewal was in August. Hope so!

I just bought some single tickets for the winter season, which went on sale today about an hour ago. They do now have "select your own seats" and the price pops up when you hover over each seat. So that's the same as CC, Met, and others. Big improvement!

Another advantage: they give you 30 minutes to complete your purchase. Good thing, too, because it's a little cumbersome buying multiple tickets. For one thing, you pick the month/date you want. Once you've selected a ticket and put it into your cart, if you want to go back to that week, you discover you've been popped back to August and have to start over again getting to the right month/week (somewhat cumbersome and time-consuming).

Second problem: when you click on the seat and think it's gone into your cart, it really hasn't. You then need another step to say "reserve seat" or "remove." If you forgot to click "reserve seat" you can't get to check-out.

Third, I had a problem just figuring out how to get to the on-line ordering for single tickets. There's no link off the homepage or elsewhere that I could find. I finally tried going to the 2012-13 repertory list, clicking on a work I wanted, getting to the list of individual dates when it would be performed and clicked "buy tickets." Once into that system, I could click "cart" in the lower left to get back to the purchasing section. (I had started by logging in first to my account, which probably helped a little.)

Fourth, some of the seat numbering seems to have changed. I couldn't find a seating chart on the new web site, but had saved the PDF files from last year. Some of the numbers have changed, so look carefully at the chart they show you. (If anybody finds the new seating chart, please let us know where it is.)

The facility fee I paid is $10, but I don't know if that's a flat fee or $2 per ticket. The Service charge I paid is $35, so I'm guessing that's $7 per ticket, as I bought five.

For delivery, you can choose only pick up at the box office or U.S. Mail. No print-at-home feature - maybe next year.

All in all, you need to be a very determined purchaser to navigate through all of this. I hope they have some staff try this out for themselves and find out how user-unfriendly the whole system is for purchasing on-line tickets. Still, being able to see which tickets are available and choose your own is a gigantic improvement.

I'll be interested in hearing from others on your experiences using the site.

The NYCB home page was just updated to add "box office is now open" and "buy now" which clicks you over to the area where you can purchase single tickets. It's about half way down the page. I guess with a new system, it's not surprising that it took a few hours on the first day to get the site revised. Now, if they will add print-at-home tickets, as the Met and many others do, it should be great.

California, I found a link to a hopefully current pdf seating chart on the new website. When you go to the "Buy tickets" feature on a particular date, instead of clicking "Choose seats," click "Give me the best available seat." Once there, you will see at the top right, it says - faintly - "View Seating Chart." This opens the pdf seating chart. The reason I discovered this, you see, is that the "Choose seats" feature simply refused to load, so I was forced to go for the best available seats.

I note that the repertory list is missing a number of works, including Prodigal Son, Opus 19 The Dreamer, The Four Temperaments and La Sonnambula (though Night Shadow is listed) and I presume that NYCB is working on more elaborate entries for some of the major pieces. The pronunciation guide on the old site is gone and should be put back in the education section.

I like the look of the new site, though, and I think once NYCB works out the bugs and gets more information uploaded, it should be great.