2012 Summer Olympics, London(Stay away if you want to remain unspoiled.)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#106 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Another awesome performance from Bolt. His act is getting a bit old, though.

I haven't found it so...I guess since he IS really so great and I thought the fist bump to the volunteer standing behind him before the 200 meter was hilarious especially because the volunteer seemed to think so too. In interviews it's clear, though, that he is more self-conscious than four years ago--as one would expect. I also like the classy way he has stopped mid-interview on occasion to stand silent while a national anthem for another medal winner has been playing.

Oh and the Jamaican men just this minute blew away the world record in the 4X100 relay.

I was very happy, too, when the American women did the same last night.

#107 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

"If you can do it, you ain't braggin'." Posted Image It's certainly true that Bolt has always had a warmth and generosity of spirit that take the edge off what might otherwise be hotdogging of the more irksome kind. After a certain point it seems a mite childish and Bolt's no longer a kid, but it could be me. (And I can't help thinking that a female athlete of any country would likely be pounded for such braggartry, but men are allowed greater leeway to act out in such ways.) He certainly has learned the value of Madonna's injunction, "Strike a pose."

#108 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Very true that no woman could 'get away' with Bolt's showiness. But I am willing to give him a lot of leeway--he has been so great for track and field.

#109 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

No doubt about that. Unfortunately his sport doesn't seem to know what to do with him.

Mo Farah's second race was just as amazing as JMcN says. Wow.

#110 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,987 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Anchoring a team to a WR when the second-place US team ran faster than any other US team is the third part of Bolt's extraordinary accomplishment, two Olympics in a row.

#111 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

From the NYT on synchronized swimming (emphasis mine):

Twelve teams made the final round, but the Russians dominated from the start. Made up to look like sinister adult-size dolls with exaggerated painted-on eyelashes, they won the final on Tuesday with an intricately scary routine — all staccato kicks and aggressive slashing arm movements — set to the theme song from the 1977 horror film “Suspiria,” in which a young dancer realizes that her ballet school is being controlled by witches and that there is no escape.

Just PERFECTION! Posted Image

#112 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Another point of view on the dance component in floor exercise here

Basically, women’s gymnastics is trying very hard to have it both ways—to maintain an air of grace, via dance or something like it, while growing increasingly powerful. And most of the time, it works. I think it’s still a beautiful sport, only now it’s more badass.

#113 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I much prefer the traditional ending to the men's marathon, with the race finishing in the Olympic stadium.

Closing ceremonies a bit of a snoozefest. Eric Idle, who was actually singing, saved the evening, along with the nuns on rollerblades and the kickline of Roman legioniaries. Did anyone see Darcey Bussell or did I miss her bit?

#114 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

I only watched part of closing ceremonies and I thought I had, very unfortunately, missed Bussell who has always been a favorite of mine. But I gather from various complaints registered by others on Twitter that NBC cut Bussell and the section of closing ceremonies choreographed by Wheeldon. Apparently being a great dancer--whether modern dance (as in Akram Khan) or classical ballet (as in Bussell)--disqualifies you from American television.

#115 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

But I gather from various complaints registered by others on Twitter that NBC cut Bussell and the section of closing ceremonies choreographed by Wheeldon. Apparently being a great dancer--whether modern dance (as in Akram Khan) or classical ballet (as in Bussell)--disqualifies you from American television.

Again? This is ridiculous!

#116 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, another snoozer! Well, not exactly as it was VERY LOUD! I was sort of hoping the Brazilians would bring in Marcello to do a killer Samba, but alas, that was not to be. One can only hope in four years time...........
Still no Sting or Stones! Obviously geared to the younger set. zzzzzzzzzzz

#117 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

But I gather from various complaints registered by others on Twitter that NBC cut Bussell and the section of closing ceremonies choreographed by Wheeldon. Apparently being a great dancer--whether modern dance (as in Akram Khan) or classical ballet (as in Bussell)--disqualifies you from American television.

Again? This is ridiculous!

Further irony is that one of the guys dancing with Darcey, Nehemiah Kish, is an AMERICAN.

#118 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Still no Sting or Stones! Obviously geared to the younger set. zzzzzzzzzzz

I was wondering about the Stones -- they're still intact, still touring, and still making rock and roll. I don't think it's an age thing per se, or they wouldn't have had all those cover bands playing classic rock.

I winced when I heard they were bringing in the Spice Girls, but I have to say that watching them motor around the stadium on top of those taxis was actually quite whimsical.

Still, if they can have the Spice Girls, can't they have the Rolling Stones?

#119 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Well, who needs Darcey Bussell when you can have Russell Brand lip-synching "I Am the Walrus"?

I think the pop music was intentionally slightly less geriatric this time around, not more so. They had The Who and probably deemed that sufficient. Seemed to be trying for a sort of spanning-the-generations effect.

I too was disappointed by the Brazilian sneak preview, but at least they have several years to get it together.

#120 hayden

hayden

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sat through that whole ceremony waiting for Darcey Bussell and of course NBC cut it. Furious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):