This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012 Summer Olympics, London(Stay away if you want to remain unspoiled.)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#76 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think it's very telling that, in the Turischeva clip, despite its many examples of extended dancing, it is the more sport-oriented tumbling runs that gets the big response from the crowds.

I think the same thing is true in ballet: it's the big jumps, multiple turns, especially fouettes and those that change position and speed, hops on pointe, and big balances that get people clapping in the middle of the music. In ballet competitions, it's the big extensions as well that gets the teen crowd shrieking.

The shift from piano to recorded instrumental happened sometime between the 1976 and 1980 Olympics. Here are two examples of the same gymnast, the great Nellie Kim, in those two Olympics, the first with piano and the second with instrumental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59nid1BTwAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcR0e75ZWVY

Aside from the stylistic change in the type of movement -- a lot of the 1980 vocabulary would not have fit piano arrangements -- I think there's a lot more continuous movement that reflected the rhythm of the music in the 1976 clip with the piano. (She was also at her peak in this event in 1976, I think scoring a perfect 10 to win individual gold.) I'm reminded of how Balanchine would ask the pianist, especially in his special Monday class, to play chords, not music, because if the pianist was working, then the dancers would think they were, too.

#77 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

I had a musician friend who used to maintain that there was no relationship between music and the sport. I watch anyway, though. Posted Image

I could say the same about a lot of dance I've seen Posted Image

I think we could all make that statement.

#78 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

The shift from piano to recorded instrumental happened sometime between the 1976 and 1980 Olympics. Here are two examples of the same gymnast, the great Nellie Kim, in those two Olympics, the first with piano and the second with instrumental:

(edited out the clips so we don't take even longer to load)

Aside from the stylistic change in the type of movement -- a lot of the 1980 vocabulary would not have fit piano arrangements -- I think there's a lot more continuous movement that reflected the rhythm of the music in the 1976 clip with the piano. (She was also at her peak in this event in 1976, I think scoring a perfect 10 to win individual gold.) ...

What a great compare and contrast -- I don't know her and so am seeing this fresh, but I'm very struck with the changes between these two examples.

The first selection is indeed more lyrical, longer phrases that connect through some kind of momentum or gesture, more structural development in the choreography and more musical altogether. The second example is more conventionally powerful, and probably made a big impression on the observers because of that strength, but the phrases are shorter and more discrete -- there's just not as much connectivity involved.

Interestingly, she spent considerably more time on the floor in the first example, and there were several examples of working in between standing and sitting, which is notoriously hard to do, but doesn't really look hard...

#79 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

The cycling has been poetry in motion. I just wish I understood the rules.

Congratulations to the British Men's sprint team and Victoria Pendleton for their gold medals.

#80 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

The Royal Opera House (which has been Tweeting like crazy during the Olympics) has an interesting comparison of ballet and athletics:

http://www.roh.org.u...lympic-athletes

#81 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

If I've been following their tweets correctly, there's an Olympic museum or exhibit at Covent Garden.

#82 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

The cycling has been poetry in motion. I just wish I understood the rules.

Congratulations to the British Men's sprint team and Victoria Pendleton for their gold medals.

I can't follow cycling at all. Most likely I haven't tried hard enough. I don't find it great television viewing in truth, although the sight of the cyclists massed together at top speed can be pretty amazing, not to mention scary.

Props to Komova for bringing it to the floor exercise after a difficult time. Douglas was remarkable. Talk about peaking at the right time.....

#83 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

The diving competition continues to be impressive, with the Chinses dominating as expected. How wonderful for Troy Dumais to finally win a medal in his 4th Olympics!

Gabby was great. Congratulations to her. Felt so sorry for Aly, who has become a favorite for me during these games.

Apparently the English National Ballet performed an excerpt from Swan Lake before the Women's All-Around at the O2. Found this very low quality video:

http://youtu.be/IdCndyygmME

#84 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Kazakhstani women weightlifters continue their roll!

#85 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

I'm very far behind in watching what I've recorded on the PVR, but this evening I finally saw part of the Canada/Russia Women's Beach Volleyball game, and the Canadian women were wearing ankle-length tights. That's got to be a lot more comfortable than having a bikini bottom wedgie, and easier on the legs when sliding across the sand. Their bare mid-driffs must get cut up, though.

#86 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

The British women won Team Pursuit today in World and Olympic record time. Congratulations to Dani King, Laura Trott, and Joanna Rowsell Posted Image

#87 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

WHAT A DAY!! An unprecedented 3 golds for Team GB in the athletics stadium as well as two golds in the rowing regattah and one in the cycling. The pressure on the athletes to win has been unbelievable and they have stepped up to the plate! Congratulations to Gregg Rutherford, Jess Ennis and Mo Farrah.

And, as so many tweets have pointed out, what a celebration of multi-cultural Britain.

#88 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Dance Tabs retweeted this:

A ginger, a Muslim immigrant and a mixed race woman walked into a bar. Everyone bought them a drink

#89 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Another golden day so far for Team GB with a 4th consecutive gold for sailor Ben Ainslie in the Finn class and a wonderful win for Andy Murray in the tennis singles.

The BBC has published a lovely clip of their anchors reactions at the end of last night's 10000 metres won by the wonderful Mo Farrah:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/19134764

#90 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

I heartily dislike pros in the Olympics, but if they're going to be there, I couldn't be happier for Murray for winning decisively over Federer at his home Olympics and at Wimbledon. Now he's on again for doubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):