This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012 Summer Olympics, London(Stay away if you want to remain unspoiled.)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

What distinguishes top gymnasts like these from everyone else, including dancers, is the power and fearless aplomb with which they dispatch--and recover from--their gravity defying gymnastics maneuvers. It annoys me no end that they have been expected to incorporate into their routines material in which they'll likely never look better than second rate (through no fault of their own, I hasten to add) -- especially because I can't get over the suspicion that the music and the dancey bits were imposed to make the sport seem more "ladylike."

I agree, I think the 'artistic' bits were a concession to the fundamental distrust that people seemed to have about women participating in sports.

True. "People" includes women as well, of course. I've read another article lamenting the decline of "artistry" in gymnastics and like the Slate piece it was written by a woman. Figure skating and women's gymnastics attract a predominantly female audience and they are both sports which tend to reflect traditional expectations regarding how women should look and move. (They're also sports in which the women's events are the marquee events - unusual. Probably not a coincidence.)

#62 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yes, eliminate the music and hooky "dance" movement in the women's floor event. Even more annoying are the cutesy poo twitches on the beam. I do think this is a gender issue. Let these wonderful women athletes be powerful and aggressive with no apologies.

While I"m on the subject, why are the men in beach volleyball wearing baggy shorts and T-shirts? If the women are wearing bikinis, the men should be wearing little Speedos!Posted Image

Wait till we get to track and field, LiLing. The men wear normal outfits while many of the women are decked out in modified bikinis. Enjoy the swimming events while you can. :)

#63 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

While I"m on the subject, why are the men in beach volleyball wearing baggy shorts and T-shirts? If the women are wearing bikinis, the men should be wearing little Speedos!Posted Image

Word.

I'm sure that Speedos would be just as comfortable to play in as the women's bikini bottoms.

#64 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Congratulations to Michael Phelps on winning his 20th Olympic medal - surely the greatest of Olympians.

#65 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Word.

I'm sure that Speedos would be just as comfortable to play in as the women's bikini bottoms.

Re those bikini bottoms: you might find this little photo essay amusing: What if every Olympic sport was photographed like beach volleyball? Be sure to scroll down. Not many speedos, but then the author is making a slightly different point ...

#66 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

surely the greatest of Olympians.

Not according to Sebastian Coe, who, called Phelps the most "successful" Olympics athlete (after Phelps' 19th medal), and when pressed, came up with other possibility and settled on Jesse Owens:
http://www.winnipegf...ewAllComments=y

#67 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

I understand the bikini bottoms are mandated by the beach volleyball league. Presumably the athletes aren't complaining -- at least I have not heard of any protests -- because of what I assume is the additional exposure, as it were, and income gained by the women showing more skin. (I don't blame the athletes.) I see the point of the photo essay and it's a valid one, but then it's not hard to understand why public displays of butt cheek draw the eye and thus the camera.

It seems that as years go by the women show more and the men show less. In tennis the men were baggy tops and shorts while the women tend to go for form fitting and very brief tennis dresses, and old footage shows that it used to be quite different, with the women wearing more modest gear and the men showing lots of leg. I was watching an old Borg match recently. He favored Fila pinstriped shirts that looked painted on and of course the short white shorts were standard wear. As Borg crouched to return serve the camera parked itself directly behind him, offering a no doubt appreciative CBS Sports audience a prime view of the Borg buns and thighs. Those were the days. But I digress.

#68 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Pleeeease, post Spoiler Alert before announcing the days Oly outcomes! Thanks!!!

#69 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sorry, Barbara: the point of the thread is to discuss the Olympics, and that goes for things that finished 2 seconds ago. If you want to remain unspoiled, please stay out of this thread.

This has always been true for our Olympics and figure skating threads.

#70 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Just a note that as a rule threads related to sports are not encouraged (including figure skating). The Olympics are the exception, not the rule. :)

#71 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Figure skating has long been another exception by practice, but skating-related threads are not to rehash what's been said on figure skating boards, but to discuss movement to music and its relationship to the sport.

Dressage, horses moving to music, can't come soon enough. We still have the Ladies' floor ex, rhythmic gymnastics, and synchronized swimming, too.

#72 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Figure skating has long been another exception by practice, but skating-related threads are not to rehash what's been said on figure skating boards, but to discuss movement to music and its relationship to the sport.

I had a musician friend who used to maintain that there was no relationship between music and the sport. I watch anyway, though. :)

#73 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Congratulations to Michael Phelps on winning his 20th Olympic medal - surely the greatest of Olympians.

That might be arguable but after today there's increasingly little doubt as to his place among Olympic swimmers. Wow. Congratulations, indeed!

#74 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I had a musician friend who used to maintain that there was no relationship between music and the sport. I watch anyway, though. :)

I could say the same about a lot of dance I've seen :)

#75 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

I had a musician friend who used to maintain that there was no relationship between music and the sport. I watch anyway, though. Posted Image

I could say the same about a lot of dance I've seen Posted Image

I don't think I could. Dancers relate to music very differently, even the least musical, in my experience. (I wouldn't expect it to be otherwise.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):