7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

The Joffrey offers Nutcracker tickets at fifty percent off.

In honor of the 25th Anniversary of Robert Joffrey’s The Nutcracker, The Joffrey Ballet announces “Joffrey Christmas in July,” a special one-day-only sale on tickets to The Nutcracker, select classes at the Joffrey Academy of Dance and holiday-related merchandise in the Joffrey Store. From 7 am to 7 pm on Wednesday, July 25, select Nutcracker performances will be 50% off the normal ticket price.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Kim Yong-geol stages a ballet of his own in Korea. Interview by Rachel Lee in The Korea Times.

When Kim returned home in 2009, he realized that the level of Korean ballet had improved but insists it has a long way to go.

“Korean dancers tend to obsess with winning international competitions, which I think is just a small part of a ballet career. It is more important to have proper institutions where students can receive professional training like the ones in established institutions such as the Royal Ballet School and the Paris Opera Ballet School.”

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

A pair of Margot Fonteyn's ballet shoes are put up for auction.

Mrs Crossen was passed the items, which have suggested amendments written by Dame Margot on one sole, by London-based shoe manufacturer Michael Gamba.They are expected to fetch up to £12,000 at auction in Hythe, in August.

Ms White, of Hythe, said: "She's marked the back of them to show how she wants it adjusted. She's put 'Single dolly' with a cross to show where she wanted that putting......

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Stanton Welch talks about his living room.

"For me, it's a choreography space. For me, this is where I work . . . I turn the music on in the kitchen (adjacent to the living room) and have my notes on the (kitchen) counter," he explained. Then the process begins as Welch exercises his creative talents.

"I don't know what my neighbors must think about me when they see me through the windows," he laughed.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Cynthia Gregory coaches a summer session at Princeton.

A much younger-looking 66, Ms. Gregory has a warm smile and open manner that seem to put the dancers immediately at ease. She is quick to offer encouragement while pushing her charges to work harder and reach for a level that transcends technique and athleticism.

“The level of technique today is fabulous. It’s amazing,” she says, speaking of ABT, where she spent her career. “But the general feeling is more bravura than drama. Somehow, the heart is gone. We didn’t have that level of technique, but we had something else. I try to pass along what I learned from people like Agnes de Mille, whom I loved. She taught me how to be a real person on stage. I tell the dancers today to be real with their gestures, to be themselves. That translates to the audience.”

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

A review of Ballet Philippines by Amanda Lago for GMA News.

The opening number, Paul Alexander Morales’ “Kadena de Amor,” was the perfect overture. A charming series of love stories told in dance, it was not yet the grand performance that the audience looked forward to, but was entertaining enough for them to give the rest of the show a chance.

The number would have been stunning in a venue more intimate than the Main Theater. That said, it was danced well enough and with great energy by a foursome of BP’s principal dancers: Candice Adea, Jean Marc Cordero, Katherine Trofeo, and Richardson Yadao.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Previews of the National Choreographic Institute's showcase performance in Irvine.

The Orange County Register

A 2000 graduate of Juilliard, Moultrie has been busy in the last decade as a choreographer as well. His work has been performed by Ailey II, North Carolina Dance Theater, Colorado Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, Milwaukee Ballet, Atlanta Ballet and Dance Theatre of Harlem.

Wendy Seyb shares Moultrie's Broadway background. After receiving an undergraduate degree in archeology from Boston University, Seyb pursued a career in theatrical choreography. Her credits include the productions of "The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway" and "The Toxic Avenger."

The Los Angeles Times

It's mostly word of mouth too that has led to a reliable stream of dancers (plus two students) auditioning for NCI's 18-member pop-up company; it's three more weeks of paid work (most are on unpaid leave from regular company jobs) and the opportunity to be the human clay out of which new dances will be sculpted.

And even the public workshop performance, the last element of this trifecta, has seen an upswing in popularity. The show has sold out the past two years. This year's showcase and conversation with the choreographers is Saturday.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

A preview of San Francisco Ballet's annual performance at Stern Grove by Allan Ulrich in The San Francisco Chronicle.

Ask Gennadi Nedvigin about Stern Grove and he will tell you that "it's especially nice to see the audience when you perform. Usually, you're surrounded by darkness; here, there are smiling faces. You can feel their concentration, their focus on everything we do onstage. That is inspiring. Being in nature that way doesn't happen very often. When you perform on that kind of outdoor stage, you perform differently."

What doesn't he like about Stern Grove? "You could answer that yourself," Nedvigin replies. "The temperature, of course, can be a challenging factor. Even if it's warm onstage thanks to heaters, you feel the difference. It can be like jumping from a sauna into a pool."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):