This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT in Barcelona Oct 2012

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

I just noticed on the ABT calendar that the company will perform in Barcelona in late October. They are doing Don Q. Here is the link to the calendar.

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

Notably, Boylston is debuting as Kitri. The lady is well on her way. I think she would be very good in that role.

True to her word (and her contract) Semionova will appear on the Barcelona tour.

Also, the lucky Spaniards will see Osipova and Vasiliev together in this ballet. Please, please let us see them together at the Met next season in this.

#2 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Nice that Cornejo gets to open the run...though I'm assuming ABT management is playing off of the fact that the theater at which that are performing is the one Corella's company is now based out of. I guess ABT is lucky Corella didn't exercise a non-compete clause????

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Cornejo has not performed with Barcelona Ballet for some time (since his split with Carmen?). Corella wouldn't have any non compete clause to enforce, because I doubt he has any recent/current contracts with any ABT dancers. Non compete clauses always have very specific limitations on the time period during which they are to be in effect; otherwise they are unenforceable. Even if Corella had such a clause in a prior contract w. Cornejo from years ago, it would not be enforceable now.

I do feel sorry for the fact that Barcelona Ballet has competition in its home base from ABT, but that's life ...

#4 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

I think DQ casting in Barcelona will be a pretty good indicator what casting we are going to see at the Met 2013.

Given the state of the Spanish economy, I am surprised to find the tickets are pretty well sold 3 months in advance. Some performances are 75% full already.

#5 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Given the state of the Spanish economy, I am surprised to find the tickets are pretty well sold 3 months in advance. Some performances are 75% full already.

ABT has not announced any touring plans for the next year anywhere else in Europe, so I wouldn't be surprised if ballet lovers in neighboring countries to the north bought many of those tickets. It would make for a nice weekend trip, especially with Osipova/Vasiliev listed for Saturday evening.

#6 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

Cornejo and Carmen C. broke up? Where was I when that gossip broke?! Too bad, though...

#7 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I just noticed on the ABT calendar that the company will perform in Barcelona in late October. They are doing Don Q. Here is the link to the calendar.

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

Notably, Boylston is debuting as Kitri. The lady is well on her way. .....

WOW. I agree - she has potential for greatness in the role. By the way, I see that Kajiya and Simkin are dancing the DQ leads in Barcelona. Is this a debut for either of them? (Sorry, I was out of the loop for a long while re ABT!)

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Kajiya and Simkin had their debut in DonQ at ABT together during the last run of DonQs at the Met. I saw their performance. Simkin did an excellent job. I thought Kajiya was was in over her head at times, especially in terms of technique. (I think Simkin has done DonQ numerous times at other companies. In fact, I think there may be a DVD out there of him as Basilio.)

I don't think Gomes has previously done the role of Basilio in its entirety at the Met. He danced one act at the Alonso gala, but has he previously danced the entire role? He was a great Espada. I guess he won't be doing that role anymore.

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the clarifications, Abatt.

#10 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

I don't think Gomes has previously done the role of Basilio in its entirety at the Met. He danced one act at the Alonso gala, but has he previously danced the entire role? He was a great Espada. I guess he won't be doing that role anymore.

Gomes did Basiliio with Ananiashvili back in 2003 at the Met:
http://www.nytimes.c...rl-in-love.html

I was actually surprised to see this turn up in a NY Times search. He must have been fairly new as a principal at that point.

#11 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

(I think Simkin has done DonQ numerous times at other companies. In fact, I think there may be a DVD out there of him as Basilio.)

I don't know about a DVD, but Simkin has his own YouTube Channel and has a lot of clips posted. Here's one in Lithuania from 2007:

#12 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

Don Quijote seems a strange choice of ballet to bring to Spain. It's not like the world is suffering from a scarcity of that particular work.

I'd love to know the rationale for this. Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I just wish a full-length that is less cliched and more adventurous (interesting? rare? .... dear I say, great?) could have been chosen instead.

#13 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

Don Quijote seems a strange choice of ballet to bring to Spain. It's not like the world is suffering from a scarcity of that particular work.

I'd love to know the rationale for this. Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I just wish a full-length that is less cliched and more adventurous (interesting? rare? .... dear I say, great?) could have been chosen instead.

I expect word has filtered through about just how much the Spaniards love Don Q. and after all it is set in Barcelona so what could be more appropiate?

#14 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

We suffer from a shortage of the full length Don Q in the UK!

#15 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I daresay you answered your own question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):