This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Small steps (or other movements) that make a lasting impression

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

About stillness, I've never seen "Watermill," but for me, the queen of stillness and attention was Beatriz Rodriguez's The Chosen One in the Hodson/Archer reconstruction for the Joffrey Ballet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH1t0pCchxM&feature=player_detailpage#t=524s

She doesn't move from 8'44" of this video until 4'25" in part 3.

Good one! I love this so much. I wish I could see them do this again, it was so wonderful live. I got to see it a lot as this was brought into the rep (I think) around the time I was an advanced student at the Joffrey, and if City Center wasn't sold out we could ask Mrs D'Addario (sp) for the extra tickets. I saw it a lot. Beatriz Rodriguez was amazing.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

About stillness, I've never seen "Watermill," but for me, the queen of stillness and attention was Beatriz Rodriguez's The Chosen One in the Hodson/Archer reconstruction for the Joffrey Ballet:

She doesn't move from 8'44" of this video until 4'25" in part 3.

(I took out the clip since it's already loaded in this thread)

You picked a humdinger for stillness -- part of the fracas at the premiere of Sacre was generated by that long, long stillness -- audience members started catcalling Maria Piltz, who was dancing the Chosen One. Like many of us, I've seen several different works choreographed to this score, and all of them include some kind of stillness tour de force.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):