This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhailovsky will have live internet broadcast of Don Quixote w. Osipova and Vasiliev on July 25th: http://mikhailovsky.ru/en/live/

Wow! The listing says 7.30 pm (not the norm for European countries, which use the 24-hour clock). It suggests they are making a play specifically for U.S. audiences with that listing. On their "playbill" schedule, it says 19.30, so this seems to be the real time in St. Petersburg. What does that 7.30 mean for the U.S. time zones? I'm guessing it will be Wednesday morning with a 10-12 hour time change, but does anybody know?

It's an 8-hr difference with the US East Coast...11 hrs with West Coast. For work situations, I have to Skype around my 8-9AM to catch Russian colleagues before they leave their offices. For personal situations, I normally have to stop Skyping with Russian friends around my 4PM...their midnight.

The live broadcast of DonQ will happen at 11:30AM, Eastern USA time, if the starting time in StPete is 7:30PM.

It's an 8-hr difference with the US East Coast...11 hrs with West Coast. For work situations, I have to Skype around my 8-9AM to catch Russian colleagues before they leave their offices. For personal situations, I normally have to stop Skyping with Russian friends around my 4PM...their midnight.

The live broadcast of DonQ will happen at 11:30AM, Eastern USA time, if the starting time in StPete is 7:30PM.

Someone brought up the daylight savings time change, and I know that Germany had a different changing time than the U.S. Natalia, has Russia already changed over to daylight savings?

A couple of years ago, the Russian Government made the decision to no longer implement the one-hr switches of time in the fall and spring due to scientific studies on adverse health effects (just one hour's difference apparently has detrimental health effects, when people keep doing it every 6 months)...so there is, for example, a 9-hr time difference between Eastern USA and Moscow during the fall/winter period.

A couple of years ago, the Russian Government made the decision to no longer implement the one-hr switches of time in the fall and spring due to scientific studies on adverse health effects (just one hour's difference apparently has detrimental health effects, when people keep doing it every 6 months)...so there is, for example, a 9-hr time difference between Eastern USA and Moscow during the fall/winter period.

They are so smart to do away with it! I think we should also. Falling back is no problem. Springing forward is the big nightmare! Everyone is totally exhausted springing forward, b/c you are essentially waking up and working an hour earlier. It makes total sense that it has a detrimental health effect. Everyone is totally exhausted! Why do we even do it anymore?

So what did everyone think? I did not watch it live, b/c I had to work, but I came home and to my delight it was still available for viewing on the website, so I just watched the whole thing.

What a lovely production the Mikhailovsky has (sets), although the inn scene comes before the gypsy/puppet show/windmill scene. The dream scene has a very pretty tropical paradise backdrop.

The chairs in the orchestra look like loose chairs. Has anyone been to the Mikhailovsky? Are those loose chairs that can be moved around? That's what they look like!

I thought Osipova seemed tame for her during her entrance, but she got better and better and was simply lovely during Don Quixote's dream.

It is a joy to see both Osipova and Vasiliev together, but I have seen Vasiliev dance Basilio with tiny little extra things thrown in like lifting Kitri and going into arabesque and also cambres that are inhuman. So he seemed a bit tamer in this version. His dancing looked smoother too, so maybe he is taking less risks now that he's a star, but I don't mean to say there weren't exciting things that he did today. There were!

By the way, was that the cutest donkey ever or what????

The sets and costumes are pleasing, but I enjoyed the Mariinsky's production more than the Mikhailovsky , shorn of mime as it is and clipped of its details.

Bubelnikov kept the pace going. And going.

The toreador, an excellent short-haired blond man, reminded me of Jude Law.

Sancho Panza was great.

Irina Kosheleva as the Dryad queen was elegant, as was Osipova in the ballet blanc.

Vasiliev needs Pilates.

um forgive me but why as i really don't know anything about pilates -

heavens what a brisk tempo!

palm trees?????speechless-smiley-003.gif

I took Pilates for years and actually have a studio reformer in my house that I only use occasionally b/c I love yoga so much more. It gives the legs and overall body a long lean look. It creates strength without the bulk, but the main difference is the legs and abs. I think they are saying his legs are way too bulky and maybe he's gained a tiny bit of weight. His legs did look huge, more than previously, but to me it looks like all muscle. I would not say he's heavy at all. If a man like that walked into a bar, heads would turn, so I think their main issue is how huge his legs are.

i'm not sure i'll say this right; they're wonderful, i think the production looks really nice tho i don't like the palm trees - , i actually like the Don and Gamache quite a bit, but it's like there's no rest in it. i get the feeling of an unrelentness march to speed and no rests. i was exhausted after act one. i think their performances suffer from it too. sigh i wish i was better at this.

thanks about the pilates information. i always thought his shape was just kind of natural. i've known a couple of dancers (male and female) who had similar shapes and had a terrible time trying to lengthen them.

i'm not sure i'll say this right; they're wonderful, i think the production looks really nice tho i don't like the palm trees - , i actually like the Don and Gamache quite a bit, but it's like there's no rest in it. i get the feeling of an unrelentness march to speed and no rests. i was exhausted after act one. i think their performances suffer from it too. sigh i wish i was better at this.

thanks about the pilates information. i always thought his shape was just kind of natural. i've known a couple of dancers (male and female) who had similar shapes and had a terrible time trying to lengthen them.

I do think our shapes are somewhat natural. We can do some things to change it a little (lose weight, work certain body parts more, etc), but I do think we have a tendency toward certain things. My lower body builds muscle very easily and I have to work the upper body much harder to even it out.

I didn't like the palm trees the first few seconds, b/c I felt like it almost looked Egyptian (backdrop), but then I realized it is Don Quixote's idea of paradise, so then it worked for me. But I understand if someone doesn't like the palm trees.

I also thought the Spanish dancing before the puppet show and windmill went on forever. I felt like it was too much character dancing and not enough ballet, but overall I can't complain. If I had been in St. Petersburg I would have gone to see it and would have been thrilled. I just love how technology allowed me to see this a world away!!!!

The thing is though if he didn't have those bulky legs he might not have that amazing elevation. I've noticed many many male dancers who were famous for their powerful explosive jumps (Villella, Nijinsky, Soloviev, Cornejo) all have that basic shape -- short, stocky, with muscular legs.

The thing is though if he didn't have those bulky legs he might not have that amazing elevation. I've noticed many many male dancers who were famous for their powerful explosive jumps (Villella, Nijinsky, Soloviev, Cornejo) all have that basic shape -- short, stocky, with muscular legs.

I suspect you are right about that.

Luckily I had an unexpected day off and I was able to watch this broadcast live. I enjoyed most of it but I agree there were too many character dances, however they were well done. I also did not care for the palm trees. Osipova was outstanding- this was my first time seeing her in this role, if she was holding back I would not have known. I thought that Vasiliev was a bit overshadowed by her. I expected more fire from him- not in the dancing but in the mime scenes.His shape looked a bit more bulky than before- especially in the black tights which should have a thinning effect. Even so there is no one else like him and I enjoyed his astonishing elevation and turns.The company looked very good- the corps and soloists danced at a very high standard. The character roles especially wlell done. One of the stars of the show was not only the donkey but the horse who stood like a statue- not at all flustered by anything around him - just amazing!

One of the stars of the show was not only the donkey but the horse who stood like a statue- not at all flustered by anything around him - just amazing!

Yes, I liked the horse too! One of my main complaints is that most Ring Cycles do not ever put a real horse on stage and that opera is one where the horse is named and addressed more than a couple of times, so it is glaring when the horse is missing especially when Brünnhilde tells Grane they are going into the fire! LOL

I can't believe they put a real horse in Don Quixote yet most companies won't put a horse in the Ring!