This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Stars of the 21st CenturyOctober 18, 2012

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Did anyone see this in Paris? I am thinking of leaving ABT's performance at City Center early, to catch the second half of this in NYC.

#17 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

OK - I am going tonight. And I am excited for a number of different reasons. First of all, this is the first Stars Gala in New York City since 2008. Second, I have not seen Svetlana Zakharova dance since the summer of 2005 when the Bolshoi was at the Met. Third, the chance to see Olga Smirnova after all the wonderful things that have been said about her. Fourth, to see Shrinkina and Shklyarov. And I am sure that there will be a few surprises. Hopefully, I will post tomorrow with a report.

#18 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

left my program at home - in two words - loved all classical (most classical pieces), and had to survive through, what my non-ballet-expert friends reffered to "lots of floor wrestling, with longest skirts on women - where you don't need decades of ballet training or ballet bodies". Overall, i am glad i went, more comments (hopefully) will follow.

#19 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

This was the most dreary gala I have ever been to, the only thing that kept me in my seat was the hope of seeing Smirnova and Chudin in the very last piece - Grand Pas Classic . They had also been scheduled to perform Petit's Thais pas de deux in the first half of the gala but it was skipped without comment so some of us questioned whether they would make any appearance at all. They did, and they were wonderful but this is hardly may favorite pdd. The only other classical pdd performed was from DQ, and it was not particularly well done. There were 2 by Balanchine , Tchai Pas with Shirinkina & Shklyarov and the Rubies pdd by Sara Lamb and Eric Underwood. Both were fine, but nothing to wow Mr B's home town crowd. Totally absent were McMillan and Ashton.

The rest of the evening, the bulk of the evening was just one dreary modern pdd after another. Most of them began with the dancers moving in silence before the music kicked in (was that novel once?). Most were angst riddled floor wresting pieces or man manipulating woman pieces set to mournful music - there were not many actual steps on display. I did enjoy seeing Lucia Lacarra, she can always make something out of this type of pas de deux.

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

The Balanchine selections made me appreciate NYCB even more. I thought Shrinkina did a poor job with Tchai pdd. I think Desomond Richardson keeps performing the same solo choreography at every gala, but just changes the music and the lighting. Smirnova and Chudin were worth the wait. I didn't think Lucia Lacarra was still dancing. Seems like she's been around forever. Is Cyril Pierre retired?

#21 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I didn't think Lucia Lacarra was still dancing. Seems like she's been around forever. Is Cyril Pierre retired?

I saw Lacarra in Neumeier's Swan Lake in Munich this past April and she was brilliant. She's 37. Cyril Pierre danced in Song of the Earth.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

....I thought Shrinkina did a poor job with Tchai pdd. ....

Wow - that says a lot. I hope that her husband/partner, Schklyarov, was his usual wonderful self, at least.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yes, Schklyarov did well in the Tchai pdd.

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

loved all classical (most classical pieces), and had to survive through, what my non-ballet-expert friends reffered to "lots of floor wrestling, with longest skirts on women - where you don't need decades of ballet training or ballet bodies".

...been there.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):