This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Olga SmirnovaTalk about the young rising star of Russian ballet, 2011 Vaganova grad

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thank you for the info! I quite like her, but had never heard about a debut in Bayadere.

#32 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

The UK's Telegraph has published a feature on Olga: http://www.telegraph...n-the-dark.html.

#33 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Olga will be making her debut as Odette/Odile in "Swan Lake" tomorrow May 16, Her
Siegfried will be Semyon ChudinPosted Image Posted Image!
http://www.bolshoi.r...#20130516190000

#34 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Congrats to Olga for her Odette/Odile debut tomorrow. Looking forward to the reviews!

#35 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Olga Smirnova says, "in Mariinsky theatre, my dance would be considered as more spiritual and refined, but Bolshoi audiences sometimes might judge it as cold."

Very interesting! This is how I feel about her dancing, though, only watching on computer screens. Kondaurova is from the same school as Smirnova. I guess that she might get to "warm up", if she would try the role of street dancer in D.Q. :-)

I will try to catch her this August in London!

#36 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Here you go.

#37 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Act 2

#38 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Personally I don't see her as cold in these clips (just my opinion). I thought it was a lovely debut from her and hope she gets to dance it more and keep developing.

#39 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

I am mesmerized by Olga's arms/port de bras...not that the rest of her 'line' isn't lovely. A warmer Odette than expected; ultra-cool Odile...but maybe she was nervously anticipating those 32 fouettes. She made it past that 'hurdle,' breathing a big sigh of relief, didn't she? Well, I'm sure that she will develop her interpretation and technique in the months and years ahead. Something great to which we can look forward.

#40 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

I am mesmerized by Olga's arms/port de bras...not that the rest of her 'line' isn't lovely. A warmer Odette than expected; ultra-cool Odile...but maybe she was nervously anticipating those 32 fouettes. She made it past that 'hurdle,' breathing a big sigh of relief, didn't she? Well, I'm sure that she will develop her interpretation and technique in the months and years ahead. Something great to which we can look forward.

Co-sign. This was a stupendous debut Posted Image!

#41 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Agreed !

She's Absolutely Remarkable !

In her Odette duet she does a 'swoosh' (forgive the strange sounding word for such a beautiful motion) towards the beginning, as she's being turned in attitude-into-arabesque, that takes my breathe away and sets the stage for a magnificence that I can only begin to describe.

#42 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm apparently alone in my opinion that while her technique is extraordinary, I found the angularity of her arms detracting from her Odette, especially the continuous 90 degree break at the wrists, which I found more appropriate in her Odile. For me, there was no vulnerability in her Odette portrayal--less hyperextension and more fluidity would have made me love her, but I can't.

#43 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

I liked her Odette, but her Odile isn't flirtatious enough for me. As stated above, more performances will help develop her Odile. Definitely a step up from Oxana Skorik!

#44 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm apparently alone in my opinion that while her technique is extraordinary, I found the angularity of her arms detracting from her Odette, especially the continuous 90 degree break at the wrists, which I found more appropriate in her Odile. For me, there was no vulnerability in her Odette portrayal--less hyperextension and more fluidity would have made me love her, but I can't.

The wrists and elbows (especially) were a bit much for me too, angelica. I admire her portrayal right now, but I don't love it yet-hopefully she will grow in time though.

#45 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

The wrists and elbows (especially) were a bit much for me too, angelica. I admire her portrayal right now, but I don't love it yet-hopefully she will grow in time though.

So good to hear that I'm not alone, ksk04! Which gives me the courage to go even further and say that to me, her dancing, while technically a tour de force, was affected and mannered, an exaggeration of what true artistry, as opposed to calculated posing, is about. Admittedly, every ballet looks different on every artist, which is why we go to multiple performances of the same ballet. For me, the gold standard for Odette/Odile is Nina Ananiashvili (you can see her on the DVD that was made when she was 29 years old, dancing with the State Ballet of Perm) -- these days it's Veronika Part. I will keep an open mind on Smirnova, however, as she develops in her roles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):