This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Olga Smirnova

Zachary

Did you all think that Smirnova's variation at the Mariinsky was good? [. . .]

As noted above, I thought it was uneven...some parts quite off (in part, I assume, because the variation is new to her) and other parts quite lovely such as the turns in attitude en arrière, still other parts in-between...I thought she danced much better in the Bolshoi version of the "black" act when she danced in New York this past summer (those two performances I saw in the theater).

In this case Smirnova's problems may have been partly physical. She has been replaced in all her Moscow performances so far this season, and she has just been withdrawn from the company's Japanese tour, which starts next week. These may have not been the best circumstances under which to make her Mariinsky debut.

Laura Capelle tweeted the news and replacements:

Olga Smirnova is apparently injured and will be replaced by @DancingAlina in Lady of the Camellias @BolshoiOfficial (w/ Ovcharenko) on Sat.

https://twitter.com/bellafigural/status/532268964215529473

Smirnova is also out of @BolshoiOfficial's Japan tour. Krysanova replaces her in Swan Lake & Bayadère + Nikulina gets an extra perf as O/O.

https://twitter.com/bellafigural/status/532269599472222208

Cojocaru danced in Moscow, and Ismene Brown weighed in today:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2014/11/english-national-ballets-star-ballerina-infuriates-fans/

The devil’s advocate might argue that ENB was thrust into a difficult position when the Bolshoi rang. The world-renowned Neumeier is allowing ENB to give the UK premiere of one of his ballets at its showcase Sadler’s Wells programme next spring – starring Cojocaru. ‘It’s a dream come true,’ she said in the company announcement. So did ENB’s artistic director Tamara Rojo put relations with an important choreographer and an insistent star ahead of relations with English fans?

It's not that I don't get the disappointment in not seeing Cojocaru, and would be angry if I bought a ticket because of the publicity machine that said Cojocaru would be performing. but I can also appreciate having both Neumeier and the Bolshoi owing you one, and since the company would have an audit trail of many of the tickets sold, ENO might be able to turn it around by scheduling Cojocaru in Milton Keynes in the future and offering a pre-sale and discount to those whom missed her the first time, but, instead, got to see a rising young star.

I don't blame Cojocaru. I'd be willing to bet money that Neumeier insisted it had to be this way. He's very particular and tends to under-cast his ballets, which sometimes leaves companies, including his own, scrambling in the event of an injury. But the caveat would be that Smirnova had been in dubious condition for some time, so the situation did not arise out of the blue. It might have been possible to devise a better contingency plan.

Well, now Alina fans on two continents can be angry about her cancellations of Swan Lake performances. She cancelled her Swan Lake last minute at ABT last season. That was the second consecutive season she had cancelled SL at ABT. Instead we got Hee Seo as her fill in. Alina has not been invited back to ABT for the 2015 season.

Sad for Smirnova but NY can cheer to have divine Obraztsova not just as Juliet but also as Nikiya! (Has anyone seen her gorgeous Nikiya in recent Nureyev Gala DVD? WOW!) I will buy a ticket for Obraztsova BAYADERE in NY minute. I so pray that you are right, Amour.

I also think that Smirnova will not be able to appear for her Bayadere at ABT. However, I wouldn't assume that Obratsova would be available to take her place. Bolshoi is doing several Swan Lakes during the time period of Bayadere, and they may need Obratsova at her home company. I hope I'm wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

Saw her dance SL with RB this evening. Let's just say I now understand why the Bolshoi would prefer her not to dance it.

Edited to say: Never mind--I came in mid-conversation and didn't realize discussion had morphed to Obraztsova...

Before the discussion gets morphed back to where it should be I just returned from Evegenia Obraztsova's London Swan Lake this evening and she was Magnificent !

She was Precious ! One of the most beautiful Swan Lakes that I've ever seen.

Mashinka, I don't really pay attention to such technical things if they don't effect the flow and my enjoyment of the performance. She did step out at the end of the Odile fouettes but continued beautifully. If the technical aspects, which I didn't notice, effected your enjoyment, then I can understand that and am sorry. For me she did just beautifully ! I even waited at the stage door, something I seldom do and with a plane to catch the next day, to tell her so.

Was so disappointed I walked out after act three so no idea how the audience responded.

Personally I'd rather not list the technical errors, perhaps you would care to.

I have been eagerly waiting for reviews, and am sorry your experience was not positive. I thought her SL at the Stanislavsky was superb as far as characterization, and was really looking forward to her developing more in the role.