Olga SmirnovaTalk about the young rising star of Russian ballet, 2011 Vaganova grad

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hello everyone!

I didn't really do my research so I'm not 100% sure if this is the first topic completely dedicated to Olga Smirnova, extremely talented 2011 Vaganova grad of Kovaleva's class who is now first soloist at Bolshoi Theatre. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows about videos of her debut in 'La Fille du Pharaon', or 'The Pharaoh's Daughter' at Bolshoi Theatre recently; I have found pictures but I'm dying to see a video. I also want to hear other people's opinions on Smirnova and how quickly you all think she will reach principal status. She is personally one of my favourite ballerinas and for me is definitely a rising star of the Russian ballet, alongside fellow classmate Kristina Shapran who dances as a soloist at Stanislavsky Ballet.

#2 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ah, my bad. The pictures i found were from a rehearsal I think... so maybe she has not debuted yet, maybe that is on the 14th. Anyways, if we could all keep our eyes open maybe we can find the video as soon as it comes out. :) If there is to be one, that is...

#3 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think she is wonderful too.

#4 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

Ah, my bad. The pictures i found were from a rehearsal I think... so maybe she has not debuted yet, maybe that is on the 14th. Anyways, if we could all keep our eyes open maybe we can find the video as soon as it comes out. Posted Image If there is to be one, that is...

FROM BOLSHOI THEATRE WEBSITE

Cast for tonight is:- (Plus BIOGRAPHY)

14 july 2012
Aspicia, the Pharaoh's daughter - Olga Smirnova
Lord Wilson, an Englishman, who turns into an Egyptian called Taor - Semyon Chudin
John Bull, his servant, who turns into an Egyptian called Passiphonte - Denis Medvedev
Ramze, Aspicia's Nubian slave = Anna Tikhomirova
A Fisherman = Vladislav Lantratov
The Fisherman's Wife - Anastasia Stashkevich
Pas d'action
Yan Godovsky
Alesya Gradova (Boyko)
Xenia Kern
Svetlana Pavlova
Maria Prorvich
Igor Tsvirko
Two Cavaliers - Karim Abdullin - Igor Khromushin
Rivers
First River – Guadalquivir Daria Khokhlova Second River – Congo Anna Okuneva Third River – Neva Maria Vinogradova
The Pharaoh - Andrei Sitnikov
The King of Nubia - Andrei Melanyin
The God of the River Nile - Georgy Geraskin
River Servants to the God of the River Nile -
Karim Abdullin
Yevgeny Golovin
Yegor Khromushin
Ivan Mikhalyov

Caryatids
Olga Kishnyova
Anastasia Meskova
Anna Rebetskaya
Victoria Yakusheva

The High Priest
Alexei Loparevich

Herald - Denis Savin
A Monkey - Alexander Pshenitsyn
Conductor
Pavel Klinichev

BIOGRAPHY OLGA SMIRNOVA
Born in St. Petersburg. In 2011 she graduated from the Academy of Russian Ballet (ARB) to them. AJ Vaganova (teacher Lyudmila Kovaleva) and was accepted into the Bolshoi Ballet.
teacher-coach was the actress Marina Kondratieff . Its successes were noted throughout the study repeatedly awarded various scholarships. Continuously participated in the tour ARB - performed at the academy in Japan, Britain, Italy, Lithuania, Hungary, Greece and Portugal. In 2004 took part in a joint concert of the ARB and the School of the Royal Ballet of Great Britain, held in London. He has an extensive repertoire. In particular, sang - Masha in the ballet "The Nutcracker" by Tchaikovsky (choreography by V. Vainonen), Queen of the waters in the movie "The bottom of the sea-ocean" (music by C. Puni, R. Drigo, B. Asafiev) from the ballet "The Little Horse -Horse "(choreography by Alexander Gorsky's version of Yu Boatmen) Seventh Waltz from the ballet" Les Sylphides "(choreography by Fokine), great classical music on the pa DF E Aubert (choreography by V. Gzovsky)," Thais " the music of Jules Massenet (choreography by R. Petit), etc. She put the number "Mazurka" to the music of Chopin (choreography by Vladimir Romanovsky).

Repertoire
Prince of peers ("Swan Lake" in the second version by Yuri Grigorovich) the second variation in the Grand Pas ("Don Quixote" by Ludwig Minkus, choreography by Marius Petipa, Alexander Gorsky in Yuri Grigorovich) Myrtha ("Giselle" by A. Adam and choreography by Jean Coralli, Jules Perrot and Marius Petipa as amended by Yuri Grigorovich) maid of honor, Lilac Fairy ("Sleeping Beauty" by Tchaikovsky, choreography by Marius Petipa, in Yuri Grigorovich) Queen of the Dryads ("Don Quixote ") in 2012 Nikia ("La Bayadere" by Ludwig Minkus, choreography by Marius Petipa in the wording of Yuri Grigorovich production) The third odalis ka ("Corsair" by A. Adam, choreography by Marius Petipa, staging and new choreography by Alexei Ratmansky and Yuri Boatmen) the leading party in the "Diamonds" (participant premiere at the Bolshoi Theatre) with music by Tchaikovsky and "Emeralds" to music by Fauré (III and Part I of the ballet "Jewels") (choreography by George Balanchine), two jeeps ("Giselle" in version by Yuri Grigorovich) Duet («Dream of Dream» to music by Rachmaninov, directed by J. Elo)

Tour

In May 2011 participated in a gala concert of memory of Galina Ulanova of the series "Icons of Russian Ballet", held at London Coliseum Theatre - performed with a classmate S. Strelkov, "Melody" to music by Dvorak (choreography by A. Messerer) . In July 2011 participated in a gala concert of international ballet stars in the I International Competition of ballet and dance, held in Beijing (Great classical music on the pa D.F.E. Auber).
Print

#5 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Zachary,

I completely agree with you. Smirnova is a sublime young talent and strikingly mature for her age (I believe she is 19 or 20). I definitely foresee her becoming a principal within the next few years considering how meteoric her rise has been already. I saw some clips of her in Diamonds and Emeralds when the Bolshoi premiered Jewels, and even in just meager clips I instantly wanted to see more of her. There are also videos of her dancing Lilac Fairy to Evgenia Obraztsova's Aurora, and they are wonderful together. I loved that one of the coaches setting Jewels called Smirnova "a ballerina out of the past."

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

I shudder to think where Smirnova would be after one year in the corps de ballet of the Mariinsky, had she opted to stay in St. Petersburg. Backdrop for Somova? Thank goodness, NO.

#7 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

At first I was a bit disappointed that she did not go to Mariinsky because I love so many of the dancers there, then I came to and realized that it was a much better decision for her to move to the Bolshoi. She is doing so well and now that Obraztsova is also there, and Kristina Shapran at Stanislavsky, she gives me a reason to make a visit to Moscow... :) I've been searching for videos of her Pharaoh's Daughter debut but no success so far. :(

#8 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?
V=|1Fob1 gksaw&feature=youtube gdata player

#9 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Trying to post youtube link to Smirnova in "mazurka"
search for vaganova character dance 2/3 2010.

#10 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

One more time:youtube and search for

VBA Character dance exam 2010 3/2

The mazurka is at the start of part 2.

#11 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I've seen that video of Smirnova's character exam 'mazurka' before. She is amazing and barre is beautiful too! I really enjoy character work, especially Vaganova's, since they really know how it's done.

#12 trieste

trieste

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

I just watched a clip of hers...her debut in the work of a certain choreographer who shall not be named. Her dancing is beautifully transparent -- that is, her technique is without reproach, clearing the view to the choreography and to details. I particularly appreciate her consistent turnout and use of wrists and hands to punctuate those gorgeous Vaganova arms. I'm hard pressed to think of many dancers with such steely technique and the artistry to put it to use. I've heard she's controversial, due to her age and rapid promotion, but mon dieu, what a loss for the Mariinsky.

#13 Zachary

Zachary

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have also heard that she is controversial; someone on YouTube has uploaded the full 'La Fille du Pharaon' with Smirnova as Aspicia and Semyon Chudin, a wonderful dancer, as Taor. I think their partnership is a very good one. I enjoy her Aspicia and I think it was a very strong debut and that she will be principal ballerina material very very soon, if she isn't already.

#14 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

..... I've heard she's controversial, due to her age and rapid promotion, but mon dieu, what a loss for the Mariinsky.

Rapid promotion due to age should not be controversial if the skills and beauty are extraordinary, as in the case of Smirnova (or Farrell, in the past, or Vishneva, recent past). Besides...Smirnova was almost 20 when she graduated the Vaganova, she had been held back for so long! She must be 22 by now.

Talent trumps everything and, with the exception of a couple of disgruntled members of the Bolshoi corps, I've hardly detected ANY bad feeling whatsoever about Smirnova's fast promotions. (Very, very different case with the rapid and IMO unjustified ascent of the Somovas and Skoriks at the MT...or the very latest 'project' of Fateev, which we will soon be discussing on separate thread, no doubt.)

#15 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

...or the very latest 'project' of Fateev, which we will soon be discussing on separate thread, no doubt.)

Mmm...you got me on that Natasha..! Can you shred some light on the subject, even as in a PM..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):