This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ethan Stiefel's Retirement Performance

Am I correct that Amanda McKerrow and John Gardener came on stage to give him flowers? Also, did you check out those Chrisitan Loboutin shoes that Irina was wearing! Who was the guy who came out right before Saviliev. Who was the guy w. the cap.

Is Julio Bragado Young retiring? Ethan had him take a solo bow with another Corsair near the end of the video (can't ID the other guy, sorry)...if so they are dropping like flies this season. Sorry to see these dancers go.

Edit: if LaKarsavina reads this, thank you for your wonderful videos and for having excellent seats all the time!

Not Julio. The two men were Tobin Eason and Jeffrey Golladay. And of course, Gennadi. And Maria Riccetto got a special hug. How generous of Ethan to share his spotlight with others. And especially with his parents!! That had me in tears! No one gets much of anywhere in this life (especially in dance) without the support and understanding from our parents. To give his "thanks" in such a public way says a lot about the man. What an extraordinary evening! For the finale to a wonderful season, it felt so "right" that it was all about ABT "family". A true "prince" of the stage has retired, but I can't help but feel wherever he goes he will continue to touch others in such a positive way. Thank you Ethan and bravo for all the extraordinary years of great dance!!

Thanks for clearing that up mimsyb, those drawn on beards make everyone look very different!

I too was glad to see such a family atmosphere--even though Ethan hasn't been around dancing much, the affection the company has for him and he for them is so clear.

I've been limited with internet during my stay in NYC, and I have so much to share about last night, but I have to run in about 10 minutes, so I have to keep it short for now...

Last night was my first ballet at the Met, and it was INCREDIBLE. Ethan looked like he could have danced forever...he was truly at the top of his game (except when he fell out of his second pirouette...oops! - he's human after all). The dancer on stage was definitely the one that America fell in love with, and at 39 and having had 3 knee surgeries...it didn't show at all.

Gillian's technical prowess is just completely breath-taking...nothing compares to seeing it in person. It being the final performance of the season as well as Ethan's farewell really had everyone stepping up their game...they really wanted to give it that little extra (As Ethan said in the playbill- "I'm just gonna give it my all" - he and the cast most certainly did) I adore Marcelo, and the command of the stage he has fantastic, and I can't wait to see him dance again in the future. It was a wonderful treat to see Stella and Sascha dance together, everyone in the audience just held their breaths. The way Stella finishes her moves, and they way they work together really highlights what the two of them do best.

Little side tidbits from post-show...

my friend and I had a chance after the show to meet a lot of the dancers! (side note - walked passed Irina - who was terrifyingly thin - she didn't look like that when i saw her 2 years ago in Chicago...but that's another thing entirely). Ethan, and his parents, were greeted like rock stars - as expected. Gillian and Marcelo (and his bf - who we had an extended conversation with, he actually had NEVER seen a ballet before they started dating - nor center stage...lols) were the sweetest ever...also, found out that Cory was also a merchant last night (last minute sub).

Overall, I'm still on a high from the show all the dancers put on last night, and it was a privilege being in the very appreciative and adoring audience.

I'll be back later if anyone else wants to add/ask anything smile.png

spinning2night, Please come back and post more! I was so bummed that I couldn't make it to Ethan's farewell. I've watched the video a million times and was touched watching him with his parents. His sister, her husband and children were also on stage with him. He's a special person and an amazing dancer. He will be missed!!

Ethan was spectacular, Gillian's pirouettes were unbelievable, Marcelo was his marvelous, fun-loving self, Stella was gorgeous and Sascha was an admirable partner! Not much more to add from me....during the bows/flower ceremony it was sweet to see all these dancers from the past as well as Ethan's family. smile.png

But I was also wondering about the notable absences--where was Veronika Part (again?)? And David Hallberg?

At any rate, it was literally a explosive way to end the season! Thankfully POB will be here or else I'd be having a major case of ballet withdrawal!

Am I correct that Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner came on stage to give him flowers?

I saw them in the videoclip at 10:40. So lovely!

Gardner's looking buff!

But I was also wondering about the notable absences--where was Veronika Part (again?)?

She never shows. She was MIA for the Carreno and Corella farewells as well.

Am I correct that Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner came on stage to give him flowers?

I saw them in the videoclip at 4:23. So lovely!

Gardner's looking buff!

I edited my post in the quote above to show the correct time that McKerrow and Gardner appear on the clip. (Senior moment error had me posting the length of the clip instead of the moment on it when the two appeared.)

Gardner's looking buff!

Yes I couldn't help noticing that myself! Nice! LOL.

I thought it was lovely that Amanda McKerrow and her husband came back to pay tribute to Ethan. When Ethan first started with ABT he and Amanda was partnered quite frequently and they danced well together. If I remember correctly at Amanda's farewell performance, Ethan was her Albrecht to her Giselle. In fact I believed Gillian Murphy was Myrtha and John Gardner danced Hilarion. It was an incredible performance that night and a fabulous farewell for Amanda. I can't help but think those two couples are probably wonderful friends off stage.

But I was also wondering about the notable absences--where was Veronika Part (again?)?

She never shows. She was MIA for the Carreno and Corella farewells as well.

She was in attendance at the company's farewell party Sunday night.

Hi Batsuchan

Sorry for the double post. I'm lousy with the "quote" thing. I'm wondering how you were able to get to the "Fond Farewells" gallery on ABT's website? I can get to the gallery via the link you've included but I can't get to it any other way?!

Hi Batsuchan

Sorry for the double post. I'm lousy with the "quote" thing. I'm wondering how you were able to get to the "Fond Farewells" gallery on ABT's website? I can get to the gallery via the link you've included but I can't get to it any other way?!

Hi theo, I also got the same link from the most recent ABT's Pointe of View newsletter. Not sure if that's the only place ABT gave out the link...

Hi Batsuchan

Hi theo, I also got the same link from the most recent ABT's Pointe of View newsletter. Not sure if that's the only place ABT gave out the link...

Hi theo - I actually came across the link randomly while browsing photos on Pinterest, but I'm guessing that the poster got it from that newsletter. ;)