2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info(Please post reviews on program-specific threads)

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#346 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I thought Lane's comment about being coached by Susan Jaffe was interesting:

Sometimes you don't know if the little details really matter but she was there to call them out and it taught me to see those details. She showed me how to work in a more thoughtful way and artistically, she gave me so much and she improved a lot of things that I needed more work on. I continue to try and push myself on all those things we worked on and to remember them.

Jaffe would surely have known from experience that with the limited coaching ABT dancers get, learning to see what to work on with limited or no coaching was critical.  Do (dedicated) Russian coaches approach their coachees from a "Teach them to fish" angle?

One performance of Aurora after five years?  Ugh. 

Ugh is right - and I saw that performance five years ago - it was lovely, youthful and joyous (btw rose adagio totally secure, one of the better ones I've seen) and something the company should have been interesting in building upon.  That she was told to learn Coppelia and Romeo and Juliet, but give no performances is amazing to me.  Does the AD specialize in discouraging talent?

#347 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

The Metropolitan Opera Gift Shop is having an online-only sale, and the following items are in the "Ballet" category:

http://www.metoperas...als/of11/BALLET

These are all of the sale items:

http://www.metoperas...by/new-arrivals

I suspect shipping and handling would eat up the savings, but there's free shipping in the continental US for orders over $99. If you're stocking up holiday/birthday gifts and/or have your eye on one of the higher-price items that have been discounted steeply, like the James Levine 40th anniversary set ($130, from $200), for example, now's the time, and Met Members get a 10% discount.

The sale starts today; I don't see an end date.

#348 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

One more prediction, one production will be retired with a new version to be premiered in 2015.

#349 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

One more prediction, one production will be retired with a new version to be premiered in 2015.

Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty?

#350 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

If it's one of those two I'd guess SL, as it is the older production (no matter how flawed the SB is).

SL actually is a fairly handsome production physically--Von Rothbart costumes notwithstanding.

SB is not, but both have problems with the dance text.

SL thus seems a more appealing revamp project (financially), as hopefully some of the sets/costumes could be retained.

NB: I think this maybe should be in the 2014 prediction thread not the 2013 gen info one?

#351 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:02 AM

This seems to be written in the stars. And it might be SB I guess. Revamp maybe from the resident choreographer, just a wish! 

#352 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Oh Terpsichore, please do not let Ratmansky ruin the Swan Lake. It's one of the last pleasures I still have in life - please do not take it away from me.

#353 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Oh Terpsichore, please do not let Ratmansky ruin the Swan Lake. It's one of the last pleasures I still have in life - please do not take it away from me.

Hilarious..rofl.GIF

#354 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Alastair Macaulay has already told us which way he would vote.  From his  overview of ABT's Met season, in today's NY Times:

"This sub-Disney "Beauty" has great faults; its fiddlly overhaul of Marius Petipa's choreography for the Prologue Adagio damages the whole ballet's structure.  But thanks to changes large and small, it now repays rewatching as the company's "Swan Lake" does not."

Castle Denizens Spring to Life (Some Especially)

#355 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

If it's one of those two I'd guess SL, as it is the older production (no matter how flawed the SB is).

SL actually is a fairly handsome production physically--Von Rothbart costumes notwithstanding.

SB is not, but both have problems with the dance text.

SL thus seems a more appealing revamp project (financially), as hopefully some of the sets/costumes could be retained.

NB: I think this maybe should be in the 2014 prediction thread not the 2013 gen info one?

I agree that the scenery (excepting the rickety maypole) and costumes for Swan Lake are actually quite lovely and are among the most richly detailed in ABT's repertoire. I wouldn't mind if they kept the physical production and restaged it, hopefully with a more complete final act. Does Ratmansky ever do more historically-based reconstructions/restagings of nineteenth-century ballets? Or are they always in the vein of the ABT Nutcracker (i.e. mostly original choreography)?

Now that I've gotten more used to the Disneyesque elements of the Sleeping Beauty, it has given me time to take in the awful quality of the painting of the backdrops and side panels (not sure of the term for the flat panels by the wings). During every wedding scene we have to look at a hideous, poorly drawn, poorly painted cherubin face above the central door where all the characters enter. And the forest in the vision scene looks like it was painted by someone who specializes in airbrushed t-shirts.

#356 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Agree w. you Waelsung.  When Ratmansky gets his hands on a classic that he tries to revamp to make his own unique stamp, things go off the rails.  I could not stand his Nutcracker or his Firebird.  He is at his best when he is creating something from scratch, rather than making a new version of a well known classic.

#357 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Agree w. you Waelsung.  When Ratmansky gets his hands on a classic that he tries to revamp to make his own unique stamp, things go off the rails.  I could not stand his Nutcracker or his Firebird.  He is at his best when he is creating something from scratch, rather than making a new version of a well known classic.

I actually like both those ballets very much (especially his Nutcracker). That said, i don't have the investment in either of those ballets that I do in SL and really think that in a company such as ABT the SL has to cleave closely to the original dance text (ok we know it has changed a lot over the years and I don't want Benno in the Act II pdd, but a fairly "traditional" approach is warranted).

What about his DQ? I know some people on this board have seen it...where does that fall in terms of originality v tradition

#358 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

I think it's safe to say that if one of the "warhorses" gets revised, Ratmansky will be the one to do it.

#359 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Ratmansky's Don Q is traditional. There's a DVD/HQ digital download version available with Dutch National Ballet. He and Burlaka also collaborated on the Bolshoi's "Le Corsaire".

#360 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Ratmansky's Don Q is traditional. There's a DVD/HQ digital download version available with Dutch National Ballet. He and Burlaka also collaborated on the Bolshoi's "Le Corsaire".

I forgot about the Corsaire, which is a fantastic production.

Thanks for responding re: the Don Q! That was my impression from what was said about it previously, but I wasn't sure if I was remembering properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):