2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info(Please post reviews on program-specific threads)

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#271 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Sometimes when I see contemporary choreographies, I feel that it really doesn't matter what music its being danced to, for which it doesn't make too much of a difference.

#272 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

I feel that way too about certain choreographers (Millepied) but I've never felt that way about Ratmansky's work, which always seemed to be very much grounded in the music. .

#273 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

The announcement was made just 4 weeks before the scheduled premiere. But given his relentless work schedule all over the world, perhaps he's a fast worker, along the lines of Balanchine (although I suppose nobody could work as fast as he reportedly did). As much as he loves this composer, he surely knows the new music inside and out. So it's not unreasonable to think he's mostly starting over -- perhaps only using some movement ideas from the earlier attempt. I hope some of this will come out in interviews with Ratmansky and the dancers in the coming months.

It's also worth remembering that he has a lot at stake in getting it "right." This is not a piece d'occasion that could flop and everybody would forget about it. This trio of works will also be performed next year by San Francisco Ballet, so it's going to get a lot of attention.

#274 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

With ABT about to begin its Spring Season 2013, would it make sense to start a new thread to discuss the performances themselves and other related events such as dress rehearsals that we're attending, and any other relevant topics that fall within the season itself, rather than append all of that to the 19 pages that have addressed the upcoming season? We could retitle "2013 Met Season" to "2013 Upcoming Season" and the new thread "2013 Met Season." Just a suggestion.

#275 Dale

Dale

Sapphire Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

With ABT about to begin its Spring Season 2013, would it make sense to start a new thread to discuss the performances themselves and other related events such as dress rehearsals that we're attending, and any other relevant topics that fall within the season itself, rather than append all of that to the 19 pages that have addressed the upcoming season? We could retitle "2013 Met Season" to "2013 Upcoming Season" and the new thread "2013 Met Season." Just a suggestion.

We usually start threads with the program title. I would suggest a Gala thread for tonight's performance.

#276 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

And so it begins! My first ticket isn't until May 22nd so I will be living vicariously through all of your reports. Here's to a great, injury-free season for all the dancers!

#277 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

We usually start threads with the program title. I would suggest a Gala thread for tonight's performance.

Dale, I hadn't remembered that, but that's perfect! Thanks.

#278 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Here's to a great, injury-free season for all the dancers!

Such hopes dashed already on opening night. Osipova out injured, replaced by Reyes in the Corsaire pas de deux (Boylston replacing Reyes in Symphony in C).

#279 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

The casting sheet in the lobby of the Met provides additional info re casting for Sylvia:

Orion will be danced by Stearns on June 24 and June 29 matinee
Hammoudi on June 25 and June 28
Whiteside on June 26 matinee
Radetsky on June 26 evening
Vasiliev on June 27 and June 29 evening

No other casting info on the sheet that's not already on the website. Would like to see info on casting of Purple Rothbart, Lilac Fairy, Bluebird/Florine, Mercutio.

Why can't ABT use a similar setup on its website as the Bolshoi, where all of the casting info, even for the smaller roles, is contained on the website for each performance. That little performance calendar on the ABT website is pathetic.

#280 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm very much hoping that I'll get to see Whiteside do Purple Rothbart at the SL I'm seeing with Hallberg/Semionova. I think he has the potential to be a worthy successor to Gomes in that role.

#281 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

I am very sorry that Osipova is injured...but, WOW, how lucky that NYC got to see the amazing Boylston/Simkin pairing in 3rd mvment of Symphony in C. Now y'all know why all of us in DC were going wild for Boylston/Simkin! [They were originally not slated to dance this at the Met.]

Not that I want any of the 2nd-mvment ballerinas to be injured...but wait til you see Seo/Hammoudi leading that segment, some day.

#282 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Having checked the seating availability for Monday night's Onegin (Vishneva/Hallberg), and also the Wednesday night mixed repertory (including Seo/Hallberg), it is apparent to me that you can get really good seats a day or two (or three, I guess, if it's the weekend) before the performance when ABT releases the seats in its "hold." Great Orchestra Prime seats as well as rows A and B in Grand Tier center. For anyone who wants to get a ticket, it may be worth waiting until a couple of days before the performance to get a good seat, rather than buy one in advance that isn't so good. Of course, there is some risk involved here (for example, I'll be interested in whether good seats will show up suddenly for the Semionova/Hallberg Swan Lake), but I wanted to let people know about this option.

#283 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Osipova & Vasiliev were at the dress rehearsal this afternoon, so all is well, her absence from the gala was just a pre-caution.

#284 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Osipova & Vasiliev were at the dress rehearsal this afternoon, so all is well, her absence from the gala was just a pre-caution.

Thanks for keeping my hopes high. Have tix for Don Q on Saturday, a ballet they currently own, in my book.

#285 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

Mercutio and Purple Rothbart casting is now available on the ABT performance calendar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):