This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

.... Marcelo Gomes will replace Hammoudi as Siegfried on the June 19th matinee. Hee Seo, whom Hammoudi would have been paired with for both performances, has really gotten an upgrade to first class with her new partners!

Hee Seo is as first class now as she has been for years, dancing opposite the likes of Hallberg and Muntagirov! She is an ABT Principal...and did not have to wait until her 30s for the appointment.

I expected that Hee would be partnered w. Corey in Romeo, since they have performed that ballet together before. However, since Bolle is an underutilized principal, I guess it makes sense to draft him for the Wed matinee Romeo. (Stearns has already taken over one DonQ from Hallberg, and I'm guessing Stearns may be called upon for an extra SB or Sylvia later in the season to sub for Hammoudi).

.... Marcelo Gomes will replace Hammoudi as Siegfried on the June 19th matinee. Hee Seo, whom Hammoudi would have been paired with for both performances, has really gotten an upgrade to first class with her new partners!

Hee Seo is as first class now as she has been for years, dancing opposite the likes of Hallberg and Muntagirov! She is an ABT Principal...and did not have to wait until her 30s for the appointment.

Yes. I was just making a point about Hee getting perhaps two of the best and most experienced partners in the world for her R&J and SL, instead of a relatively underdeveloped soloist. I think having Gomes for SL will be particularly helpful considering that it is her debut. I also loved Seo as Juliet when I saw her MET debut and thought at the time that she and Bolle might be well-matched, so I'll be interested to hear reports.

So, this must mean Hammoudi is injured. Anyone heard anything?

Interesting choice to bring in Kochetkova from San Fran for SL (I've always wondered why ABT doesn't bring in some dancers from that co.). I've heard lovely things about her. Still, would have been nice to see ABT use one of their own dancers - I believe Boylston is the right size for Cornejo. (Lane has of course danced w/ Cornejo and she's done SL w/ Corella's ballet co. Would have been awesome to see her given the chance.) Boylston is doing SL Wednesday night; maybe one day in between isn't enough of a rest. But, as a blossoming soloist, she could benefit from the extra performance.

Yes. I was just making a point about Hee getting perhaps two of the best and most experienced partners in the world for her R&J and SL, instead of a relatively underdeveloped soloist. I think having Gomes for SL will be particularly helpful considering that it is her debut. I also loved Seo as Juliet when I saw her MET debut and thought at the time that she and Bolle might be well-matched, so I'll be interested to hear reports.

Didn't they dance together in Asia?

He's currently listed for the 5 July "Sleeping Beauty" with Murphy.

If he's removed from the schedule and/or there's an official source for an update, it can be posted here.

This was just released. Not the sort of casting news you would expect:

U.S. CONGRESSWOMAN CAROLYN B. MALONEY TO APPEAR

ON-STAGE WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

U.S. Representative for New York’s 12th Congressional District Takes on Supernumerary Role in American Ballet Theatre Production of Romeo & Juliet, Monday, June 10 at Metropolitan Opera House

From the floor of The Capitol Building to the stage of the Metropolitan Opera House, Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney, U.S. Representative from New York’s 12th District, will appear with American Ballet Theatre as a supernumerary in ABT’s production of Romeo and Juliet on Monday evening, June 10.

Congresswoman Maloney will take her place as one of the “bodies” at the Capulet family crypt in the ballet's third act as Romeo enters to mourn the loss of his beloved Juliet. The scene remains one of the most dramatic in ballet as Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers learn their tragic fate.

Carolyn B. Maloney was elected to Congress in 1992 and serves as a senior member of both the House Financial Services Committee and the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Maloney is the Ranking House member of the joint Economic Committee and serves as a Regional Whip in the House Democratic Caucus.

Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet will be given eight performances beginning Monday evening, June 10. Set to the score by Sergei Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet features scenery and costumes by Nicholas Georgiadis and lighting by Thomas Skelton. The ballet received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet in London on February 9, 1965 and was given its ABT Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on April 22, 1985. American Ballet Theatre’s performances of Romeo and Juliet are generously underwritten through an endowed gift from Ali and Monica Wambold.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000.

The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

It's a PR thing. I saw it used as an item in the NY Post's Page Six today. Same sort of thing when Piazza was in Slaughter in Miami or Chelsea Clinton used to guest as a parent in Nutcracker. I put it up just for the information.

First - this will sell tickets to an extra 100 of her friends / supporters.

Second - this will help ABT when they need support for visas from State for visiting dancers, or visas for permanent foreign workers, such as Polina Semionova.

Third - this will help ABT when NEA funding is doled out.

Fourth - lots of free publicity.

Lincoln Center does not fall within Maloney's district, but ABT's studios and offices probably do, so you're right, Jayne, it's not a bad contact to have.

The way I look at it having someone in Washington being aware of the arts is a good thing. I'm old enough to remember when funding for the arts was in the public discussion as a good thing. Hard to believe right now.

Slightly off topic. Shklyarov has been plaza hopping, he was sighted at the Met on Mon. for the Shostakovich Trilogy, at NYCB Tue., and again at the Met on Wed. for Corsaire.

I suspect that he might be in town to rehearse Ratmansky's Cinderella, prior to the filming of that ballet at the Mariinsky II later this month (see Mariinsky playbills for June...two performances of Vishneva/Schklyarov in Cinderella, for filming). Of course, what he does in his own time is his business. smile.png

He's currently listed for the 5 July "Sleeping Beauty" with Murphy.

If he's removed from the schedule and/or there's an official source for an update, it can be posted here.

Hammoudi is replaced by Stearns in SB on July 5, per ABT casting sheet updates in the Met lobby.

Hammoudi is replaced by Stearns in SB on July 5, per ABT casting sheet updates in the Met lobby.

The ABT web site calendar has not yet been updated for this. Does the posted casting sheet say anything about Cojocaru's Sleeping Beauty on July 3? That would be her only performance of the season if she makes it.

The ABT web site calendar has not yet been updated for this. Does the posted casting sheet say anything about Cojocaru's Sleeping Beauty on July 3? That would be her only performance of the season if she makes it.

The casting sheet at the lobby still lists Cojocaru's SB on 7/3 as of last night.