This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

With ABT about to begin its Spring Season 2013, would it make sense to start a new thread to discuss the performances themselves and other related events such as dress rehearsals that we're attending, and any other relevant topics that fall within the season itself, rather than append all of that to the 19 pages that have addressed the upcoming season? We could retitle "2013 Met Season" to "2013 Upcoming Season" and the new thread "2013 Met Season." Just a suggestion.

We usually start threads with the program title. I would suggest a Gala thread for tonight's performance.

Dale, I hadn't remembered that, but that's perfect! Thanks.

The casting sheet in the lobby of the Met provides additional info re casting for Sylvia:

Orion will be danced by Stearns on June 24 and June 29 matinee

Hammoudi on June 25 and June 28

Whiteside on June 26 matinee

Radetsky on June 26 evening

Vasiliev on June 27 and June 29 evening

No other casting info on the sheet that's not already on the website. Would like to see info on casting of Purple Rothbart, Lilac Fairy, Bluebird/Florine, Mercutio.

Why can't ABT use a similar setup on its website as the Bolshoi, where all of the casting info, even for the smaller roles, is contained on the website for each performance. That little performance calendar on the ABT website is pathetic.

I am very sorry that Osipova is injured...but, WOW, how lucky that NYC got to see the amazing Boylston/Simkin pairing in 3rd mvment of Symphony in C. Now y'all know why all of us in DC were going wild for Boylston/Simkin! [They were originally not slated to dance this at the Met.]

Not that I want any of the 2nd-mvment ballerinas to be injured...but wait til you see Seo/Hammoudi leading that segment, some day.

Having checked the seating availability for Monday night's Onegin (Vishneva/Hallberg), and also the Wednesday night mixed repertory (including Seo/Hallberg), it is apparent to me that you can get really good seats a day or two (or three, I guess, if it's the weekend) before the performance when ABT releases the seats in its "hold." Great Orchestra Prime seats as well as rows A and B in Grand Tier center. For anyone who wants to get a ticket, it may be worth waiting until a couple of days before the performance to get a good seat, rather than buy one in advance that isn't so good. Of course, there is some risk involved here (for example, I'll be interested in whether good seats will show up suddenly for the Semionova/Hallberg Swan Lake), but I wanted to let people know about this option.

Osipova & Vasiliev were at the dress rehearsal this afternoon, so all is well, her absence from the gala was just a pre-caution.

Thanks for keeping my hopes high. Have tix for Don Q on Saturday, a ballet they currently own, in my book.

I couldn't be happier - I'll be seeing Marcelo as Purple Rothbart! It's been years since I've seen him in this role. I've seen all the others listed, except Vasiliev and Whiteside (Matthews, Radetsky, Hammoudi) and none bring that something special that only Marcelo can. I would love to hear comments about Whiteside's interpretation for those of you seeing that performance. Like I posted earlier I have a feeling he may have the charisma to be worthy of the role.

They never put Espada Mercedes casting up on the website or in the casting sheets in the lobby, based on my prior experience.

Thank you, abatt. Don't you think they should? I've seen Hallberg as Espada and Abrera as Mercedes (for example). These are dancers who will bring people into the theater.

Osipova & Vasiliev were at the dress rehearsal this afternoon, so all is well, her absence from the gala was just a pre-caution.

Osipova danced the third movement of "Symphony in C" yesterday afternoon - quite well according to report. I will see her tonight. However, Herman Cornejo is injured (per a note in the program at last night's performance). He was replaced by a very fine Ivan Vasiliev whose sloppy showboating mannerisms were nowhere in evidence dancing Balanchine. He looked wonderful.

Osipova danced the third movement of "Symphony in C" yesterday afternoon - quite well according to report. I will see her tonight. However, Herman Cornejo is injured (per a note in the program at last night's performance). He was replaced by a very fine Ivan Vasiliev whose sloppy showboating mannerisms were nowhere in evidence dancing Balanchine. He looked wonderful.

Agreed. He didn't (nor did she at the matinee) "over dance" the third. But I wasn't impressed with how he looked in the black costume. Against all the other ABT men who looked so sleek, he came across as looking a bit "rumpled." But at least he can do a really clean entre-chat-cinq and that counted. Can someone tell me please. At the opening step combination in the third, was there ever a double sau-de-basque. I seem to recall that happening with a few of the male dancers of yore. Just wondering.

My amazement wasn't so much with the Russian duo as with the absolute gorgeous-ness of Stella in the 1st movement! OMG! Sheer perfection. Tell me again why this woman is not a principle? And then there was the outrageous beauty of Polina and Marcello leading the 2nd. Words elude me. For a ballet that tells no story, the two of them spoke volumns.

For me the cast from Wednesday matinee in all three ballets was the one to see. Happily, I get to see them again tonight!

Agreed. He didn't (nor did she at the matinee) "over dance" the third. But I wasn't impressed with how he looked in the black costume. Against all the other ABT men who looked so sleek, he came across as looking a bit "rumpled." But at least he can do a really clean entre-chat-cinq and that counted. Can someone tell me please. At the opening step combination in the third, was there ever a double sau-de-basque. I seem to recall that happening with a few of the male dancers of yore. Just wondering.

My amazement wasn't so much with the Russian duo as with the absolute gorgeous-ness of Stella in the 1st movement! OMG! Sheer perfection. Tell me again why this woman is not a principle? And then there was the outrageous beauty of Polina and Marcello leading the 2nd. Words elude me. For a ballet that tells no story, the two of them spoke volumns.

For me the cast from Wednesday matinee in all three ballets was the one to see. Happily, I get to see them again tonight!

On Thursday night, his turns were so tight and effortless, unlike any I have ever seen, but then he seemed to walked in between some steps instead of dancing.

Didn't know where the best place was to post this, but some cast changes that have recently taken effect:

Roberto Bolle replaces Alexandre Hammoudi as Romeo on the June 12th matinee, and Marcelo Gomes will also replace Hammoudi as Siegfried on the June 19th matinee. Hee Seo, whom Hammoudi would have been paired with for both performances, has really gotten an upgrade to first class with her new partners!

Maria Kochetkova replaces Alina Cojocaru as O/O on June 21st. Cojocaru's Sleeping Beauty is still on, for now.

Here's the official release:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIFTH AND SIXTH WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2013 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Polina Semionova to Make New York Debut in Romeo and Juliet,

Tuesday Evening, June 11

June 13 Performance of Romeo and Juliet

Dedicated to the Late Frederic Franklin

Maria Kochetkova of San Francisco Ballet

to Debut with ABT in Swan Lake on Friday Evening, June 21

Casting for the fifth and sixth weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Diana Vishneva and Marcelo Gomes will lead the season’s first performance of

Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet on Monday, June 10. On Tuesday, June 11, Polina Semionova will make her New York debut as Juliet, opposite David Hallberg as Romeo. James Whiteside will debut as Romeo on Thursday, June 13, opposite Paloma Herrera as Juliet. The performance on June 13 will be dedicated to the memory of the late Frederic Franklin. Set to a score by Sergei Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet features scenery and costumes by Nicholas Georgiadis and lighting by Thomas Skelton. The ballet received its World Premiere by

The Royal Ballet in London on February 9, 1965 and was given its ABT Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on April 22, 1985. American Ballet Theatre's performances of Romeo and Juliet are generously underwritten through an endowed gift from Ali and Monica Wambold.

The Company will present eight performances of Swan Lake beginning Monday, June 17 with Polina Semionova, David Hallberg and Marcelo Gomes in the leading roles. Maria Kochetkova, a principal dancer with San Francisco ballet, will replace an injured Alina Cojocaru

in Swan Lake on Friday, June 21, opposite Herman Cornejo in his debut as Prince Siegfried.

A native of Moscow, Russia, Kochetkova trained at the Bolshoi School in Moscow and danced with The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, and as a guest artist with Tokyo Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet and Mikhailovsky Theater in St. Petersburg before joining San Francisco Ballet as a principal dancer in 2007. Since then, she has performed principal roles in Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, The Nutcracker and Coppélia, among others. This is Kochetkova’s first appearance with American Ballet Theatre.

Other debuts for the week include Ivan Vasiliev as von Rothbart on Tuesday, June 18 and Hee Seo as Odette/Odile at the Wednesday, June 19 matinee. James Whiteside will debut as Prince Siegfried on Thursday, June 20, opposite Gillian Murphy as Odette/Odile, and will dance the role of von Rothbart for the first time in New York at the matinee on Saturday, June 22. Choreographed by Kevin McKenzie after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, Swan Lake is set to a score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and features scenery and costumes by Zack Brown and lighting by Duane Schuler. This production of Swan Lake premiered on March 24, 2000 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. with Julie Kent (Odette/Odile), Angel Corella (Prince Siegfried) and Marcelo Gomes (von Rothbart). Swan Lake has been generously underwritten by R. Chemers Neustein. Costumes for Swan Lake are generously sponsored by the Ellen Everett Kimiatek Costume Preservation Trust.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

So sad to hear that Alina won't be dancing Swan Lake! I'm stuck on where I stand in the whole bringing-in-guest-artists debate. On the one hand, it's great to see ABT talent grow; but on the other hand, I'm equally excited to see these dancers in roles at the Met that I would never have been able to see live otherwise.