This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

Seems like an exellent way to give ABT dancers a chance to be guest artists themselves. So often it seems they have to to step back at ABT so that guest artists can headline, it is nice to see them getting a somewhat similar chance overseas. Nice development!

It would even be better if they send promising Corps de ballet dancers to the Kirov, Bolshoi or POB.

Which is preferable - to order multiple subscriptions for the Met season and then exchange individual tickets, or to wait for individual tickets to go on sale? The subscriptions do not offer all of the performances that I wish to see.

Does anyone have casting information for the ABT Works and Process show?

For the KC season, does one suffer any problems by waiting for tickets to go on sale after the sale period for members only?

By buying only one regular subscription, you will be able to take advantage of the priority exchange/purchase week for ABT subscribers, which is for one week before tixs go on sale to the general public. (I'm not sure if the priority exchange also applies to the "Create Your Own" subscription option. Maybe someone else here knows.)

(I'm not sure if the priority exchange also applies to the "Create Your Own" subscription option. Maybe someone else here knows.)

I haven't yet received a brochure for the 2013 "Take 3"/"create-your-own-make-3-or-more" series, but in the brochure for 2012 it does say that ticket exchange privileges are available.

The main problem with the exchange option is that you have to be able to get to New York to go to the box office. They will do a mail-in exchange, but you don't have any say about particular seats that way either. (And, of course, you have no input on seat selection when you order a subscription either.) I called them last year and asked if I could do a telephone exchange in the week before single sales, so I could say which seat(s) I preferred, and was told "no." I don't know if the exchange privilege includes asking for different seats in the same section at the same performance and it's not clear from the brochures if that's included.

As far as I can tell, the per-ticket cost of a subscription is no cheaper than just waiting for single sales, at least before "dynamic pricing" kicks in down the road.

On the bright side, I pounce on-line on the first Sunday in April when single seats go on sale and have never had any trouble finding lots of great seats to choose from, even for the most in-demand performances.

There is no savings whatsover in being a subscriber. In fact, when you factor in the handling fee for the subscription, it actually ends up costing a little more per ticket than just buying at the box office. Yes, the priority exchange only works its magic if you can actually get to the box office window during the priority week. I hardly ever buy singles on the internet site because the per ticket handling fee is, in my opinion, a waste of money. I'd rather spend the money on tickets than fees.

That's strange. Why did they wait so long to post Kent/Gomes.

At first, it looked like her R&J on the previous Saturday night, June 15, might be her retirement performance, as she had nothing else on the schedule that season. Would they do a retirement at a Saturday matinee of Swan Lake? Seems odd, but perhaps that's still a possibility.

I also wondered if the delay had anything to do with deciding who would get to dance with Gomes and who would partner Whiteside's debut in the role at ABT - Murphy or Kent.

Somova may be the go-to whipping girl, but she's not on ABT radar.

Ashton's "Sylvia" is a lovely ballet.

Although neither Vasiliev nor Cornejo is a Somes type -- Somes was the original Aminta -- Cornejo has an elegance and polish that Vasiliev has not, in my experience, and this casting makes much more sense than a Vasiliev Aminta.

California wrote:

At first, it looked like her R&J on the previous Saturday night, June 15, might be her retirement performance, as she had nothing else on the schedule that season. Would they do a retirement at a Saturday matinee of Swan Lake? Seems odd, but perhaps that's still a possibility.

I don't think Julie's going anywhere. As Mrs. Barbee she is firmly in place until such time as she decides not to be.

I don't think Julie's going anywhere. As Mrs. Barbee she is firmly in place until such time as she decides not to be.

She was born in July 1969, so she turns 44 this year. Some great dancers stayed around much longer, but it can (sometimes) be painful to watch...she does seem to be dialing back on her rep -- no Sleeping Beauty's or Sylvia's next spring, e.g.

She was born in July 1969, so she turns 44 this year. Some great dancers stayed around much longer, but it can (sometimes) be painful to watch...she does seem to be dialing back on her rep -- no Sleeping Beauty's or Sylvia's next spring, e.g.

But that's ok! Dancers that age can still please many fans...many will be go see them as old followers, while new generations can take a glimpse at older schooling. Then, they can also be lovely in more lyrical-less technical ballets. They are also usually more into developing a refined interpretation that can supply for the lack of technique. I applaud the 40 plus ballerinas onstage.

Although neither Vasiliev nor Cornejo is a Somes type -- Somes was the original Aminta -- Cornejo has an elegance and polish that Vasiliev has not, in my experience, and this casting makes much more sense than a Vasiliev Aminta.

True, but it's the fact that Osipova and Vailiev seem to work so great together...challenging one another to great levels of pyrotechnics that their performance is sooo exciting...

I don't think it's crazy to have a discussion about when she's retiring, especially since before the SL announcement she was only down for two ballets at the Met (though it's not hard to imagine she will be cast A Month..). She obviously won't be forced out, but I think we will see her retire in the next year or so. She might be waiting for a particular ballet to cycle through the rep, in order to have a last chance to perform it. Kevin has generously acquired a lot of vehicles for her to keep her engaged and wanting to dance, so that has been the one nice thing about this portion of his tenure.

I don't think it's crazy to have a discussion about when she's retiring, especially since before the SL announcement she was only down for two ballets at the Met (though it's not hard to imagine she will be cast A Month..). She obviously won't be forced out, but I think we will see her retire in the next year or so. She might be waiting for a particular ballet to cycle through the rep, in order to have a last chance to perform it. Kevin has generously acquired a lot of vehicles for her to keep her engaged and wanting to dance, so that has been the one nice thing about this portion of his tenure.

Why not Giselle, if it comes around...? It seems de rigueur to do Giselle as a female farewell...

I wonder why Osipova has chosen not to do Sleeping Beauty again w. ABT. During the last revival, she cited "passport issues" that prevented her from entering the US. She is not doing SB at ABT for this upcoming run either. Since ABT taught her the role and gave her her first Aurora, you would think she would perform the role again at ABT.

I wonder why Osipova has chosen not to do Sleeping Beauty again w. ABT. During the last revival, she cited "passport issues" that prevented her from entering the US. She is not doing SB at ABT for this upcoming run either. Since ABT taught her the role and gave her her first Aurora, you would think she would perform the role again at ABT.

I was disappointed to see Osipova would not be dancing Aurora this coming season. It may be a scheduling issue, but I also don't think that it's simply up to her in any case. I am thrilled she is dancing Sylvia as I think that it could be a very good role for her...Scheduling won't permit me to see much ABT this spring--I had wanted to come up for the Ratmansky and/or the Osipova Don Q and/or Month in the Country--none of them seem to be possible. But Sylvia was another top choice and I'm looking forward to it. Think Vasiliev could be very good as Orion too.