This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

I'm happy Manon is gone. R&J is a much better ballet, although it is getting tiresome since ABT has already done it two consecutive seasons (at least). The thing that keeps people coming back is incredible casting. If Drink to Me is coming in the spring, I feel even better about my inclination to miss it at City Center. I wish they were doing Leaves Are Fading instead of Drink. I love that ballet. Glad to hear that Sylvia will be back. Thanks for all these "predictions", mussel.

Is there any real chance ABT can perform A Month in the Country? I've always wanted ABT to perform that ballet, but from what I understand Anthony Dowell own the rights to the ballet, and so far he has only allowed The Royal Ballet to perform it. Has things change on that account?

Is there any real chance ABT can perform A Month in the Country? I've always wanted ABT to perform that ballet, but from what I understand Anthony Dowell own the rights to the ballet, and so far he has only allowed The Royal Ballet to perform it. Has things change on that account?

I'm wondering if he would give permission conditional on dictating the casting. It's in Cojocaru's repertoire, e.g. And Dowell could have seen Gomes perform with her last winter when he did The Dream with her in London.

I'm wondering if he would give permission conditional on dictating the casting. It's in Cojocaru's repertoire, e.g. And Dowell could have seen Gomes perform with her last winter when he did The Dream with her in London.

That would be lovely of Mr. Dowell. I've always wanted to see that ballet live!

Another ballet I would love to see ABT perform is Balanchine's romantic Liebeslieder Walzer. Obviously the dancers would have to be extremely well-rehearsed but I think ABT has a collection of dancers who would more then do justice to this exquisite ballet. I could easily see...

Visheva/Gomes - perhaps in the Violette Verdy role

Kent/Bolle - perhaps in the Diana Adams role

Abrera/Hammoudi - perhaps in the Melissa Hayden role

Osipova/Hallberg - perhaps in the Jillana role.

And that's just one group. We could also have...Cojocaru/Kobborg {if he's a guest artist}, Dvorovenko/Beloserkovsky, Part/Muntagirov {if he's a guest artist}, etc. The combinations are endless.

Actually he also let the National Ballet of Canada perform it in 1996 (with Karen Kain as Natalia Petrovna) and it was repeated in 1997 but we haven't seen it since.

The Tokyo Ballet has also performed A Month in the Country with Sylvie Guillem and Massimo Murru last year.

Macaulay seems to have a little inside information about the ABT Met season. Has a press release gone out?

“La Bayadère” appears to be resting for a year. The news comes, though, that Ballet Theater will revive “Le Corsaire” next spring in a new production. Both these ballets will remain problematic in any version. Their music is at best undistinguished, and large parts of their received choreography are formulaic, added or altered in the 20th century.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/arts/dance/ballet-clings-to-racial-ethnic-and-national-stereotypes.html?pagewanted=all

Macaulay seems to have a little inside information about the ABT Met season. Has a press release gone out?

“The news comes, though, that Ballet Theater will revive “Le Corsaire” next spring in a new production."

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

I won't be sad to say goodbye to the silver bikini bottom/harem pants combo worn by the female corps in the last act. Now if only we could ditch the 80s hair band gypsies in Don Q...

Sorry for a bit off-topic, but is Macaulay on Ratmansky's retainer? everytime he writes about him (in case of Le Corsaire and last time about another ballet, he steals from Burlaka, it was Burlaka and Ratmansky's REVIVAL - not just Ratmansky's staging..... Sad, that such an educated man is so ignorantly desribes the process. Shame on him. the link can show the definition of the Le Corsaire at Bolshoi site http://www.bolshoi.r...rformances/198/

Macaulay hates the classical ballet. Always has, and probably always will. But this article must be a new low even for him. To criticize Petipa's masterpieces because they do not adhere to the strict rules of political correctness and do not reflect the exact ethnic mix of the XXI century America as was determined by the latest Census? It really makes me sick.

No press release yet. But the NY Times often receives a heads-up so it can go in their Fall Preview.

AM writes that ABT will revive Ashton's Sylvia and produce, for the 1st time, A Month in the Countryyahoo.giftoot.gifat the Met in May.

ABT will also do a full-evening of Ratmansky short ballets.

Thanks to Mussel for accurately"predicting" the ballets for the spring season.flowers.gif

What was wrong with ABT's Corsaire sets & costumes? They were beautiful and 'deluxe' - originally from the Bolshoi/mid-90s, in fact. So are they planning to replace them with an all-purpose LEGO set, 'El Cheapo' style (like the Mariinsky Cinderella or Humpbacked Horse)?

Month in the Country sounds good. I hope that ABT isn't planning to present it in a LEGO set.