This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

Swan Lake

Sleeping Beauty

Don Q

Le Corsaire

Onegin

Manon

New Ratmansky full length

A Month in the Country

Symphony in C

2013 Met season follows the similar pattern in recent years: 7 weeks of full lenght and a week of mixed bills - the obligatory Swan Lake, 3 Russian/Petipa classics, a MacMillan, an Ashton, a Ratmansky, and some others. There may be some more one-acts to fill the mixed bills gap.

Swan Lake: no suprise, it is ABT's license to mint money.

Le Corsaire: already announce it will be in DC in April and LA in July, so it will not be scheduled during the final 2 or 3 weeks of the Met season to allow time to ship the sets to the Left Coast.

Don Q & Beauty: 2 war horses will return after a year of hiatus.

Onegin: a major revival with decent box office record usually returns the next year.

Symphony in C: no surprise as it will appear in Kennedy Center in April. I expect Kent, Part and Semionova to be casted in the 2nd movement, Osipova in the 1st or 3rd movement.

Not sure of Firebird whether it will return, ABT needs to share the sets and costoms with HET.

I expect at least one new male principal will be announced, I can't say who, but it will not be a surprise.

Now, as far as the casting goes, may we please have:

Semionova/Gomes in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Manon

Osipova/Vasiliev in Don Q and Le Corsaire

Osipova/Gomes in Manon and Onegin

Part/Bolle in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Onegin

Vishneva/Gomes in Manon

I don't really care about the rest of the programs, so they may cast them all as they please - they have my kind permission :)

But - and this is really important - we also need some fresh faces as Guest Artists, and specifically I wish the ABT management would invite the Mariinsky Ballet stars to perform in NY. I'm sure a lot of people would pay top dollars to see Lopatkina, Kondaurova, and/or Tereshkina in pretty much anything.

I know it's not very likely, but one is allowed to dream, isn't one? :)

Isabella Boylston as Aurora, please! Misty Copeland long-overdue Odette/Odile debut (assuming quick return from current injury)!!!

Symphony in C - 2nd movement: likely Hee Seo included + Part + Semionova; 1st: Boylston; 3rd: Lane/Simkin; 4th - Shevchenko or Teuscher!

I wonder if the 'full-length Ratmansky' (as in 2- or 3-act full-evening work, if that's what it is) will be an already-seen rehash that he created for another company, e.g., Romeo & Juliet (recent for Canada) or Anna Karenina (Denmark & Mariinsky) or Flames of Paris (Bolshoi) or Humpbacked Horse (Mariinsky)? I would prefer something that's 100% brand new, rather than a rehash from some other company.

One also wonders if any of the listed ballets would serve as a 'farewell vehicle' for one or two senior principals? A Month in the Country maybe for ??? or Don Q for ??? [fill in the blanks]. Of course, we wish that they could all stay on stage forever. smile.png

Isn't the new Ratmansky going to be the three Shostakovich ballets?

Yes. There's a news release on the ABT web site on this:

http://www.abt.org/insideabt/news_display.asp?News_ID=407

I'm also wondering if we might see Cojocaru and Gomes in The Dream. They did this together in London last February:

http://www.abt.org/insideabt/news_display.asp?News_ID=385

I don't see a release on this on the ABT site, but Gomes partnered Osipova in her Swan Lake debut in St. Petersburg with Mikhailovsky in February. I have to think she'd like to repeat that in New York.

Nobody has mentioned Murphy. Although she's not listed for the fall rep at City Center, I thought it was expected she would return for the Met spring season. I certainly hope so!

Ah, so "full length" can also be interpreted as "full length of a one-act ballet"? I had assumed full-evening...as in minimum 2-hours running. So now we have our 3ple bill: new Ratmansky one-acter + Month in the Country + Symphony in C (and maybe substitution of Moor's Pavane for one of these on some nights, as it's on tap for Wash, DC a couple of months earlier). I suspect that, to sell more tix, ABT may show Month and the Bizet on different nights. In other words, Moor + Ratmansky + either the Ashton or the Balanchine on a given night.

California, The Dream is not on the 2013 list. Month in the Country will be 'the Ashton of the year.'

Ah, so "full length" can also be interpreted as "full length of a one-act ballet"? I had assumed full-evening...as in minimum 2-hours running. So now we have our 3ple bill: new Ratmansky one-acter + Month in the Country + Symphony in C (and maybe substitution of Moor's Pavane for one of these on some nights, as it's on tap for Wash, DC a couple of months earlier). I suspect that, to sell more tix, ABT may show Month and the Bizet on different nights. In other words, Moor + Ratmansky + either the Ashton or the Balanchine on a given night.

At least according to the news release on the ABT site, Ratmansky is making three new one-act ballets, all to Shostakovich. The first of the three will premiere at the Center City fall season with the other two premiered in the spring. So that fills an evening.

California, The Dream is not on the 2013 list. Month in the Country will be 'the Ashton of the year.'

Has ABT released a list for 2013? I can't find that on the ABT site. I thought Mussel was just speculating, based on past experiences (not unreasonably, I might add).

At least according to the news release on the ABT site, Ratmansky is making three new one-act ballets, all to Shostakovich. The first of the three will premiere at the Center City fall season with the other two premiered in the spring. So that fills an evening.

Has ABT released a list for 2013? I can't find that on the ABT site. I thought Mussel was just speculating, based on past experiences (not unreasonably, I might add).

mussel has inside info? Full evening of Shostakovich ballets... I am not sure if I can take it.

Do we have any info re guest artists. Are Osipova and Vasiliev coming back? Cojocaru? Muntagirov? I've never seen Month in The Country, so I'm happy about that addition to the rep.

By the way, the lead NY Times critic is presently in London and in today's paper reviews a Royal Ballet mixed bill which included A Month in the Country. He loved Cojocaru in that ballet. I'm sure it is in the Links section.

Thanks to mussel!

Do we have any info re guest artists. Are Osipova and Vasiliev coming back?

On the ABT web site and in the print programs, Osipova is listed as a regular principal, with Vasiliev listed as a guest. That doesn't mean they'll perform with ABT year-round, of course, and they're both missing from the fall season. But doesn't it seem safe to assume they'll be at the Met spring 2013 season?

Do we have any info re guest artists. Are Osipova and Vasiliev coming back? Cojocaru? Muntagirov? I've never seen Month in The Country, so I'm happy about that addition to the rep.

Osipova is not a guest artist, she is a company member in the same way as vishneva, so she at least should be there unless that situation changes...

Do we have any info re guest artists. Are Osipova and Vasiliev coming back?

On the ABT web site and in the print programs, Osipova is listed as a regular principal, with Vasiliev listed as a guest. That doesn't mean they'll perform with ABT year-round, of course, and they're both missing from the fall season. But doesn't it seem safe to assume they'll be at the Met spring 2013 season?

Sorry to have been repetitive. Also, Osipova did at least do some of the touring gigs last year, possibly because of Firebird, but she was definitely with ABT at least sometime beyond the MET season.

Osipova did at least do some of the touring gigs last year, possibly because of Firebird, but she was definitely with ABT at least sometime beyond the MET season.

I've long had the impression that Orange County (now Segerstrom) has some kind of special relationship with Ardani Management. They've had Kings of Dance, Tour de Fource, Reflections, Eifmann, and the Firebird premiere in recent years. Next year, they'll have Mariinsky and Eifman again. All are on the Ardani "projects" list, as is Osipova.

http://www.ardani.com/companyprojects.php

I have no idea what the connection is, but Segerstrom gets almost all of their attractions performing in the U.S. But Osipova doesn't seem to do the grinding ABT tours otherwise (Chicago, Asia, etc.)

ABT would be crazy not to schedule Osipova and Vasiliev together in at least one or two of the Don Quixotes. That seems like a no brainer (cash cow) situation. I suspect they will.

For sure! When she did it with ABT on June 1, 2010, she danced with Carreno, and also did Act III with him two days later at the Alonso birthday celebration. But I was so glad I had seen Osipova/Vasiliev do Don Q with the Bolshoi a few months earlier at Segerstrom. The ABT production seems so stripped down in comparison with the full Bolshoi version, it was startling. I wish Bolshoi would release a DVD with the two of them in Don Q, but I'm guessing there are ruffled feathers all around and that likely won't happen.

Actually, the smart thing for ABT to do, in terms of making money, is to schedule Osipova w. an ABT regular partner, and schedule Vasiliev with a different partner. That way people have to go to two performances to see them. That's what they did with Coppelia last season. They cast Vasiliev w. Reyes, and Osipova w. Simkin.

Actually, the smart thing for ABT to do, in terms of making money, is to schedule Osipova w. an ABT regular partner, and schedule Vasiliev with a different partner. That way people have to go to two performances to see them. That's what they did with Coppelia last season. They cast Vasiliev w. Reyes, and Osipova w. Simkin.

Interesting idea. If they schedule them together, we'll have to watch out for that "dynamic pricing"! I do think people would feel cheated if they didn't do it together at least some of the time -- it's the ballet that brought them to the attention of American audiences as much as anything they've done. And they're so obviously comfortable doing the ballet together. That Bolshoi performance is a treasured memory - really astonishing. I know plenty of people complain about their "tricks," but they do high-risk partnering in that ballet I have never seen anywhere.

...... I thought Mussel was just speculating, based on past experiences (not unreasonably, I might add).

OHHHHHH....scanned the list and assumed that this had been announced, with title "2013 MET Season." Took it to be that. My bad.

Maybe the title of this thread should be "Fantasy 2013 MET Season"?

...... I thought Mussel was just speculating, based on past experiences (not unreasonably, I might add).

OHHHHHH....scanned the list and assumed that this had been announced, with title "2013 MET Season." Took it to be that. My bad.

Maybe the title of this thread should be "Fantasy 2013 MET Season"?

Mussel was very accurate last spring when he announced the 2012 season. I tend to think he knows what he's talking about. Sure, things could change between now and spring 2013, but he was great at his "predictions" (notice the quotes) a year ago.

True. I bought a ticket to Vasiliev's Solor so I could catch him, even though I had already planned on the Vishneva/Gomes/Osipova Bayadere (although Vishneva cancelled). So it probably does make sense to separate the Osipova/Vasiliev phenomena to help sell more shows. However, they did do a Corsaire with them both. So I am still hoping for at least one of the DQs having them together. I think both Basilio and Kitri are like signature roles and they both have the same level of energy on stage. It would be a shame to deny people who like them both the chance to see them in it together at least once. But it probably is smarter to separate them out.

However, they did do a Corsaire with them both.

I'm looking at my print-out of the earliest casting from 10/13/11 and, by golly, Osipova and Vasiliev were scheduled together on Thursday, July 5, right from the beginning. Quite a few casting changes occurred later, of course, but that was in the original gameplan. (Vasiliev replaced Gomes on July 4 and Ilyin on July 6, e.g.)

Now, as far as the casting goes, may we please have:

Semionova/Gomes in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Manon

I think Seminonova/Hallberg is a more likely pairing in Swan Lake as they did same this past season

Osipova/Vasiliev in Don Q and Le Corsaire

Vishneva/Gomes in Manon

I think that's a given. Gomes is Vishneva's partner of choice. Vishneva mentioned Manon's her favorite role and she loves to dance Onegin so V/G will probably be in Onegin and Manon. I expect Vishneva will dance A Month in the Country. If you look at her reps past several years she seemed to move away from the 19th century Russian to 20th century narrative at ABT. It's like as she's saying "If I want to dance the Russian classics I'd rather do the real things at the Mariinsky than your water downed versions, so I'll dance the roles I don't normally do at MT".

I think Osipova will dance Aurora as she did in 2010, possibly with Hallberg and I expect Ratmansky will cast her in one of his trio.

I'm sure a lot of people would pay top dollars to see Lopatkina, Kondaurova, and/or Tereshkina in pretty much anything.

They danced Symphony in C at the Met last year and they sold out.

I expect Vishneva will dance A Month in the Country. If you look at her reps past several years she seemed to move away from the 19th century Russian to 20th century narrative at ABT. It's like as she's saying "If I want to dance the Russian classics I'd rather do the real things at the Mariinsky than your water downed versions, so I'll dance the roles I don't normally do at MT".

I rather hope not. That sounds snotty, so lets not put words in her mouth. Maybe she is just happy to take advantage of different rep than she has access to there.

Anyway it isn't like the Mariinsky was exactly eager to give her swan lake, if I remember correctly. And as problematic as ABT's is, I'd rather have it, with the mime passages and sad (if truncated) ending intact.

Happy ending and no "I am the queen of the swans" mime is watered down as far as I'm concerned.

I expect Vishneva will dance A Month in the Country. If you look at her reps past several years she seemed to move away from the 19th century Russian to 20th century narrative at ABT. It's like as she's saying "If I want to dance the Russian classics I'd rather do the real things at the Mariinsky than your water downed versions, so I'll dance the roles I don't normally do at MT".

I rather hope not. That sounds snotty, so lets not put words in her mouth. Maybe she is just happy to take advantage of different rep than she has access to there.

Anyway it isn't like the Mariinsky was exactly eager to give her swan lake, if I remember correctly. And as problematic as ABT's is, I'd rather have it, with the mime passages and sad (if truncated) ending intact.

Happy ending and no "I am the queen of the swans" mime is watered down as far as I'm concerned.

You're right, I didn't mean to give people impression I put words in her mouth. It's just my impression of her reps at ABT in recent years.

Vishneva learned the role of Aurora for the ABT production and performed it exactly once during the initial run of this current production. (She called in sick for performance number two of that run.) She has never done it at ABT since (though I did see her do SB with the Mariinsky in DC 2 or 3 years ago). I would not expect to see her Aurora at ABT again.