• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Although I personally have some sympathy for your assessment of Ms Guillem the fact remains that she was a megastar and filled the house whenever she appeared and I can assure you the bunch of nonentities Ms Mason has assembled for our delectation in a succession of scintillating works by her favourite choreographer, Wayne McGregor don't have the same pulling power by a long chalk.

#17 leonid

leonid

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

‘'...... I can assure you the bunch of nonentities Ms Mason has assembled for our delectation in a succession of scintillating works by her favourite choreographer, Wayne McGregor don't have the same pulling power by a long chalk. ''

The argument of getting young people into the Opera House through Mr McGregor's works was a fallacy and it goes to show how incompetent the Board of the Royal Opera House has become since the days when Sir John Tooley's or Sir David Webster were a beneficial influence.

The rot set in at the Royal Ballet despite some major creations, with Sir Kenneth MacMillan's directorship. When that most distinguished dancer Sir Anthony Dowell followed, sadly he proved to be a less than able Director and it was in his era, the Royal has lost its way.

What were the pressures put upon Dame Monica and where from. The Arts Council England? Trendy aging left wing dance critics influencing the board through their reviews? Where did this idea of getting younger student types given seats in the orchestra stalls to boost a response to MacGregors works come from?

Of course living in an era of dumbing down, where what is new is to be seen as ''good'' and what is old is seen as ''bad,'' or, Academic Classical Ballet is not what young people want to see and brain washing style multi-media dance events are. Really? I think not.

Anyone can do a random age check at the Royal Opera House and see who attends and in what numbers whether for the older or the newer repertoire. There has been no impact on the attendance of the older audience by a younger audience
‘’And what of the future?’’ I hear is the cry. ‘’We need to get a younger audience in to replace the ageing patrons.’’

The employment of ‘’off the wall’’ dance works will not get audiences coming again and again to the same productions, as they have always done with the major classical corpus of the Royal Ballet repertoire.

For me the revival of ''Sylvia'' was the best step that Dame Monica took as Director and led the way in the revival of better performances. On looking back on her tenure, it would seem that there are various pressures put on the Royal's repertoire that have little to do with straightforward ''High Art'' presentations such as befits the status of the premier UK opera house and its premier ballet company.

#18 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

A video of Sergei Polunin and Kristina Shapran in Coppelia has appeared on Youtube:

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Here's a video that was just posted from a show on Rossiya K (Kultur?):

There's a date (18 Nov) under the video post date (28 Nov), which might be when the 14-minute segment aired. Interspersed throughout are clips of Polunin in the Roland Petit "Coppelia" -- interesting distribution of music on Petit's part -- and in "Don Q," as well as in the studio and at a trendy photo shoot. There's also a bit towards the end of him with Zelensky backstage. (IZ's hair might be thinning, but it brings out the planes of his face, and he looks to be in perfect shape.)

I'm afraid the only words I understood were "teatr," "ABT," and "New York," but Polunin has beautiful eyes, and no language skills are necessary for that.

#20 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

The feelings experienced by these two "outsider" dancers had
already happened to other exclusive wonderfulltalented dancers who joinwd the Royal Ballet. In fact no other than Ruddi Nureyev, although he was worshiped by the audience he was basically a very lonely young man. His partnership with Margo was more than just dance involved, she supported him, looked after him, loved him and was refreshed by his youth, both on stage and off.

#21 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Interview with Polunin:

"Sergei Polunin on the Royal Ballet, Mayerling and the Filin business"
Ismene Brown Blog, 23 March 2013
http://www.ismeneb.c...n_business.html

#22 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Polunin’s Crown Prince Rudolf in Mayerling reviewed. Ismene Brown Blog. 25 March 2013.

"The former Royal Ballet star, who quit London just a year ago, is said to have sent half the audience into ecstasies

at the Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko theatre (known as the “Stasik”), and the run is apparently sold out."

http://www.ismeneb.c...g_reviewed.html

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4]theartsdesk in Moscow: Sergei Polunin triumphs in Mayerling. Natalie Wheen. 25 March 2013.[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]"So I’ll begin with Polunin: though it will be impossible to do justice to what he showed us on stage."[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]http://www.theartsde...umphs-mayerling[/font]

#23 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

On Bolshoi's website there is a performance of Giselle scheduled on June 10, 2013, in which the dancers are

Giselle, the peasant girl ...... Svetlana Zakharova
Count Albrecht ................... Sergei Polunin
Hans, the gamekeeper ...... Andrew Merkuriev

I remember that in one of his interviews Polunin said: I don't like dance Giselle. I just don't get it. A Noble man pretend to be a peasant? ……

It may be very interesting to see how this show goes on Bolshoi's stage. With Svetlana Zakharova as Giselle and Andrew Merkuriev as Hans, they could certainly help a lot, Polunin wouldn't get better support than this!

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Oh, wow.

Merkuriev and Polunin on the same stage together? My poor heart!

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Polunin is scheduled to dance in at the Vail International Dance Festival in "International Evening of Dance I and II" on

2 August
3 August

#26 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

This video is from the Bolshoi appearance.

#28 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wow, he really is pretty special! If the Bolshoi lured him away, I think he really would be *the* star of the Bolshoi (sorry Mr. Tsiskaridze).

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yes, he is.

When I saw "Sleeping Beauty" in London about five years ago, I thought I was a genius because, knowing few of the Royal Ballet men, I recognized how great he was among the line of Prologue Fairy partners, who, essentially, lift, promenade, and tendu. "Oh," I thought to myself, "Alert Monica Mason!!!!," until late in the performance he was featured in a Wedding Act Pas de Trois. Talk about Posted Image .

Which reminds me of the time I didn't read the program before the performance and thought I had heard the Next Great Baritone sing Yeletsky's aria in a performance of "Queen of Spades," at the Met, and it turned out to be Dmitri Hvorostovsky, whom I didn't recognize because they put him in a brown wig Posted Image .

#30 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Wow, The clip came out so quickly! Posted Image
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just for this variation, I wish Polunin would have done in the Bolshoi traditional way. I also like to see how the drama being developed in ACT I. It would be even more interesting, if Polunin and Mercuriev could change their roles, Polunin as Hans and Mercuriev Albrecht. Ha, ... [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have no doubt about that Polunin is an excellent dancer, a super jumper, and a good artist from heart. I hope Bolshoi could grab him to dance The Flames of Paris, ..., sometimes soon. However, I don't think Stanislavsky Theater is not suitable for him. Igor Zelensky is an accomplished artist who took Polunin under his wings not only for his company, but also taking care of Polunin's artistic future. With Zakharova and Zelensky both in Moscow, Polunin would not feel bored, at least for now. [/font][/size]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):