Promotions - Hee Seo and Alexandre Hammoudi

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 griffie

griffie

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I too am thrilled to see dancers being promoted, and I really like Hammoudi; I think he has good stage presence. I'd vaguely thought he was a soloist already. I think he has great potential for becoming principal. And as much as my heart breaks for those soloists being passed over, I can see why Seo was chosen; there's something really distinctive about her lyrical qualities. Though I didn't see her R&J, I've heard that that it was marvelous - and, that she received long and extensive coaching for the role that she didn't have for her Giselle. Given time and coaching her Giselle may grow to be as great.

With my preference for dancers I can always pick out of the lineup for their unique style, I'm going to cast my vote for Simone Messmer to make principal someday. I agree Boylston is probably next, and she's strong and versatile, but I'd rather watch Simone and wish she got more opportunities. And pray for Sarah Lane to be able to make the leap to the next level; when she's on, she can bring down the house, but I've also seen her falter. If she can develop real chemistry with Cornejo she'd be the clear fallback choice for whenever Xiomara isn't available. I wish them luck!

#17 FauxPas

FauxPas

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Simkin is likely the next promotion to principal status and then after that Boylston. Giving Hammoudi roles like Romeo and Piotr in "The Bright Stream" and keeping him in the corps is rather awkward. On the other hand, I saw Hammoudi as Piotr and he partnered Part rather well. However, in his solos he listed to one side in pirouettes and turns and looked technically insecure. At other times I have found Hammoudi's partnering downright scary. Hammoudi at times has a goofy look about him onstage (his mouth assumes crooked positions). He has the charisma, height, look and strength but he needs a LOT of work in the studio.

If Seo's first Giselle was bland she has grown immeasurably in the role and was heartbreaking this year with Cory Stearns. The Nikiya was a bit stiff but had lovely promising qualities that will grow with repetition. Seo projects a spiritual aura onstage and there is something unique and special about her. I just hope she can stay uninjured and solidify her technique.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

My most vivid memory of Hammoudi's scary partnering was when he nearly dropped Simone Messmer during Lady of the Camelias. The guy needs A LOT of improvement.

#19 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

this is an interview with Sarah Lane, in which there are several clips of her doing Giselle.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN4nOO4jvs

it was interesting to me to see this

#20 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Posted Image for Ms. Seo and Mr. Hammoudi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):