#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

An interview with Justin Peck.

Peck moved to New York City at 15 and began dancing with the School of American Ballet until he joined the NYCB in 2007. He said as soon as he began dancing in New York City, he considered the possibilities of choreographing. “It’s been in the back of my mind for quite some time,” he said. “For a while, I contemplated whether to hold off from choreographing and concentrate on dancing.”

But Peck said choreography eventually became as much of a calling as dance. “I found myself compelled to pursue the art of choreography,” he said. “I found it almost necessary to take the plunge.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

A preview of New York City Ballet's two-week season in Saratoga by Jay Rogoff in The Saratogian.

Speed, sparkle and spectacle will conquer the Saratoga Performing Arts Center July 10 through 21, when the New York City Ballet returns for its 47th summer. The season offers striking new costumes for George Balanchine’s “Symphony in C,” the return of Peter Martins’ “Romeo + Juliet,” and a world premiere ballet by NYCB dancer Justin Peck.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Reviews of New English Ballet Theatre.

The Independent

New English Ballet Theatre is an idealistic venture, a showcase company for young dancers and aspiring choreographers. It has influential patrons, including ballerinas Darcey Bussell and Marianela Nuñez, and a commitment to live music and new design. Synergies, NEBT’s debut programme, had some lively dancing and good music, but too much thin choreography.

The Evening Standard

Of 200 dancers graduating from ballet school every year, only four are picked by the main companies. Many end up dancing on cruise ships or quit altogether. Now former dancer Karen Pilkington-Miksa has set up a company for dancers at the start of their career, giving them the chance of principal roles.

New English Ballet Theatre has no government funding. But Darcey Bussell and Carlos Acosta are patrons, while Royal Ballet principals, husband and wife Marianela Nuñez and Thiago Soares, are guest artists in the gala performance tomorrow.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Ballet Philippines kicks off its forty-third season this month.

Featuring works by BP artistic director Paul Alexander Morales, Agnes Locsin, Alden Lugnasin, Hazel Sabas-Gower, French choreographer Redha, and Australian Mark Rosolini, Songs will premiere a new work by Augustus Damian III on Candice Adea, who recently won first prize at the 2012 Helsinki International Ballet Competition, and Jean Marc Cordero, Adea’s partner who won a Special Jury Award at the same event.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Sutton Foster is interviewed on "Good Morning America."

So now that Foster is part of the ABC world, will she be showing off her ballet moves on an upcoming season of Dancing With the Stars? Click below to find out!

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

A preview of the season finale of "Breaking Pointe." Video.

Here's what we know from The CW about tonight's episode, which also serves as the season finale: "Everyone is concerned about Rex after his fall on opening night, but the show must go on with closing night and the end of the ballet season right around the corner. Meanwhile, Christiana has a meltdown when her husband Chris quizzes her about life after ballet, and Rex and Allison have a showdown." There's no word yet on whether Breaking Pointe will return for a second season, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this reality show.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

A review of New English Ballet Theatre by Judith Mackrell in The Guardian.

The company's debut showcase, Synergies, is crammed with optimism and energy: nine works feature, nearly all with new choreography, original design and live musical accompaniment. What it doesn't yet offer – in contrast to, say, Ballet Black, another small, aspiring classical ensemble – is a fierce sense of pitch, a mission statement. There are just too few moments when NEBT makes us sit up with interest and surprise.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Lawyer Kenneth Schneider, convicted in a case involving a Russian ballet student, is suspended from practice. Thanks to puppytreats for the link!

Last December, Schneider was sentenced to 15 years in prison by a Pennsylvania federal judge for traveling in interstate commerce for the purpose of engaging in sex with a minor (NYLJ, Dec. 6). That charge has no equivalent in state law and thus did not trigger automatic disbarment. However, a panel of the Appellate Division, First Department, noting that Schneider has committed a "serious crime," said in Matter of Schneider, 1733, it was required to direct his immediate interim suspension. Schneider was ordered to appear within 90 days of his release from prison before a hearing panel that will consider an appropriate sanction.

Previous mention of the Schneider case in the Links from last year.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

A review of "Breaking Pointe" as it wraps up by Scott D. Pierce in The Salt Lake Tribune.

In the end, I've enjoyed "Breaking Pointe" a lot more than I thought I would. I'm left with a hugely favorable impression of Ballet West artistic director Adam Sklute and his company. And my daughters and I are talking about attending a Ballet West performance - something we'd never really considered before.

If there are few more people like us out there, that will make the show worthwhile for the dance company.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

An assessment of American Ballet Theatre at the end of its season by Alastair Macaulay in The New York Times.

It’s a man’s company. I applaud the achievements of Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, Simone Messmer, Hee Seo and other female soloists who were given big opportunities this season. But when rising young men like Roman Zhurbin (who in some roles is already one of the world’s greatest character dancers) and Joseph Gorak (who, despite partnering problems, combines refinement and individuality to a rare degree) take the stage, I feel the very air in the theater becoming more free.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

New York City Ballet's Saratoga residency is cut to one week.

The reason: Both SPAC and the NYCB say they can’t afford a longer stay.

Each performance costs $180,000, said Marcia White, SPAC president and executive director. It costs SPAC about $2 million to bring the ballet to Saratoga, and SPAC loses about $1.1 million in the process, she said.

Related.

The Saratoga Performing Arts Center announced Thursday afternoon that SPAC’s annual New York City Ballet residency would shrink by half to one week starting next summer. It’s a shocking downsize for many. The residency shortened to two weeks from three weeks in 2009. What do you think about this? Here is a copy of SPAC’s statement....

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre in "Le Corsaire" by Diana Barth in The Epoch Times.

Hallberg makes a commanding presence on stage. He’s tall, with a mane of blond hair, and the ability to project his personality far back into the theater. He moves with enormous strength and exhibits great virtuosity in his turns and leaps. He also partners Ms. Herrera beautifully in their pas-de-deux; some of their lifts are heart-stopping in their height, and lengthy suspension in the air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):