This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire - Spring 2012

Drew--Thanks for that information. I am admittedly not very familiar with this ballet, as I had only seen a live performance of Le Corsaire once prior to this week. I had assumed that the role belonged to shorter men, but of course you are right about Malakhov.

My hands still hurt from clapping so hard during tonight's performance. Spectacular. Vasilev was even more electrifying than on Wed. Osipova was perfection - a pure delight in every way. Every spin was phenomenal. Every jump was sky high. Tonight was the best I've ever seen Yuriko dance (as Gulnare). Jared was very good, although he doesn't have the phenomenal technique of some of the other men who performed the role earlier this week. Kobborg was an excellent partner, but his solos were underpowered. The house looked very well sold.

Phenomenal night - Yuriko made me wonder why Seo was being promoted instead of her. Okay, call Vasiliev a "circus animal", vulgar, etc. but if you were there you saw his astounding performance and a "theater animal" - how he loves the audience and vice versa! Osipova - perfection, absolutely. A night to remember.

My hands still hurt from clapping so hard during tonight's performance. Spectacular. Vasilev was even more electrifying than on Wed. Osipova was perfection - a pure delight in every way. Every spin was phenomenal. Every jump was sky high. Tonight was the best I've ever seen Yuriko dance (as Gulnare). Jared was very good, although he doesn't have the phenomenal technique of some of the other men who performed the role earlier this week. Kobborg was an excellent partner, but his solos were underpowered. The house looked very well sold.

Phenomenal night - Yuriko made me wonder why Seo was being promoted instead of her. Okay, call Vasiliev a "circus animal", vulgar, etc. but if you were there you saw his astounding performance and a "theater animal" - how he loves the audience and vice versa! Osipova - perfection, absolutely. A night to remember.

I am in the Pro-Vasiliev camp, but I understand what people are saying to some degree, but I think they are dismissing much hard work that goes behind his "tricks." Each performer has his/her good points and weaknesses. All of them.

These so-called "tricks" have always and will always be part of stage performance and will always thrill audiences. Opera lovers still collect the Maria Callas Mexico City Aida to hear the famous huge, long held E flat she sings at the end of the Triumphal Scene. It isn't in the score, and even she didn't want to do it originally b/c she thought it was bad taste, but the impresario convinced her to do it, and she did and the crowd went wild. Now it is a legendary bootleg recording that every opera lover worth his salt owns.

Now today in opera we have very polite singers who (barely) hit all the notes but screech and bleat their way through (and the audiences do not seem to notice). But they are all rather polite and genteel. No risk taking, no individuality. They would never interpolate a high E flat during the Triumphal scene, and they will never give the thrills that Maria Callas could give with her little pinky.

I will take "tricks" and "vulgarity" over boring and lifeless anyday of the week. The world would be deadly dull without Callas and her way with words, Caballe's famed pianissimi, Sutherland's over the top embellishments......the more unique a performer is the more legendary the performer becomes.

I'm talking opera, but the same applies to dancers, in my opinion. The elegant performers are remembered also, but the ones with extreme unique qualities are remembered more. That is simply a Law of the Universe.

I find Yuriko kind of stiff, especially in swan lake- mostly in her arms. I also find uncertainty in her turns, but i think this can be said about Seo as well.

I find Yuriko kind of stiff, especially in swan lake- mostly in her arms. I also find uncertainty in her turns, but i think this can be said about Seo as well.

did you see her in this? She was certainly (well in my opinion) neither stiff nor uncertain. Then again I thought she was fantastic when I saw her this season in the pas de trois in SL. I do not remember feeling this way about her previous to this season (I missed last season entirely).

I really thought she was a revelation.

I'm with Kristen. Give the lady a promotion. Or at least some more full lengths. ASAP. She is being largely neglected in the discussions of which soloists deserve to move up, but as far as I'm concerned, she's the one I would like to see more of most right now.

did you see her in this? She was certainly (well in my opinion) neither stiff nor uncertain. Then again I thought she was fantastic when I saw her this season in the pas de trois in SL. I do not remember feeling this way about her previous to this season (I missed last season entirely).

I really thought she was a revelation.

I'm with Kristen. Give the lady a promotion. Or at least some more full lengths. ASAP. She is being largely neglected in the discussions of which soloists deserve to move up, but as far as I'm concerned, she's the one I would like to see more of most right now.

I watched her in the pas de trois and as a Swan (big or little, i forgot) in Swan Lake; in Onegin as the sister (my memory is fading!!); in Corsaire as Gulnare and I believe in the harlem trio (embarrassed by how I can't remember any names of the roles at the moment!). I just think she lacks fluidity in her upper body and does not use the mobility in her neck to bring all the lines together.

Although I enjoyed Yuriko's Gulnare very much, I've seen her in other ballets where she has not been terribly impressive. In particular, I saw her Don Q last season w. Simkin. The challenges of handling the technical demands of the full length role were beyond her. I think she is better in a supporting lead role, where she does not have to carry the entire evening. Also, I saw her in Ballo della Regina a few years ago, and she was not very good. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to conclude that she deserves a promotion to principal.