This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012-13 SEASON

I could not believe that the season is almost over. Is it too early to think for the 2013 spring season? I hope Kevin will schedule a revival of La Fille Mal Gardee. Herman-Sarah and Daniil-Isabella would be great in it,imo.

A Month in the Country would be a great for Diana and Julie/Marcelo and David.

I think Fille would be a fabulous choice. The company has done rather well by Ashton in recent years and I think several of its younger up and coming dancers could easily be featured, while some of its most praised and/or popular guest artists could also be effectively cast. (Obviously Cojocaru, but also Osipova.)

I vaguely remember that it did not do great box office in the past (or that's how it was reported), but maybe the company could find a better way to publicize/market it--and if one or two guest artist casts makes it more practical to revive, then I won't complain. Actually if I could see a rising dancer (say, Boylston) in it alongside performances w. a Cojocaru or an Osipova, I would do my best to get to NY to see it. (Copeland or Lane are other casting thoughts...maybe Seo. Edited later to throw Kajiya's name into mix among other soloists w. larger potential who might be given this plum.)

I actually would love to see Ashton's Sylvia back too--another work that I think would suit some of the company's up and comers as well as some of its guest artists -- Vishneva was gorgeous in the last revival and I, at least, can see Osipova making a pass at this role as well. Even better, Sylvia is one of the feature roles of ABT's "own" leading ballerina Gillian Murphy who was also terrific in the last revival. Actually, between Sylvia and the Dream Murphy has done much more than, as I said above, 'rather well' by Ashton. Her Titania was ravishing.

I believe that Silvia did pretty good box office too (at least as reported). The audiences I saw it with a few years ago...elderly subscribers sitting around me at one performance in particular...were simply ecstatic. As was I.

And a Fille with Herman and Sarah would bring down the house.

I'd love to have Fille with Herman and Sarah. What I'd really like at the Met are more and better rep nights. How about Push Comes to Shove with Herman or Marcello, or Billy the Kid with either of those guys, or the Ailey piece the River. I'd leave out Balanchine - IMO a number of other companies do Balanchine better than ABT.

Anything as long as it's not choreographed by Ratmansky .....

I heartily second this!

A return to the full-length Raymonda, even if it's the 2-act condensed version from a few years ago. I would also love to see a full-length Laurencia (think the current ABT ballerinas and danceurs in those incredible solos!)...but not Ratmanskisized and not with dumb minimalist sets; Fuente Ovejuna should look like a real Spanish village in realistic, 3-D balconies, steps, a plaza, etc.

There will in fact be an evening of three new one-act ballets by Ratmansky:

http://www.abt.org/insideabt/news_display.asp?News_ID=407

(This was mentioned on the adjacent "2012 City Center Season" thread.)

I'm very much looking forward to it.

I think we are very lucky that ABT is his artistic base, both now and for many years to come. I've enjoyed all his ballets at ABT I've had a chance to see (and I've watched all these multiple times): On the Dnieper, Nutcracker, Seven Sonatas, Bright Stream, and Firebird.

Manon is overdue for revival. Each of the times the PdD has been performed in recent seasons at a gala or on a mixed bill, it wows the audience. Marcelo and Diana, please.

Amen to that!! I've never seen "Manon" live, so this is definitely on top of my wish list! (But really, I will take the two of them in anything!) I'm also curious to see "Mayerling" but that seems less likely to happen..

My guess is that they will bring "Onegin" and "Firebird" back again next year, in keeping with the recent premieres.

I would wager that Manon will be back either 2013 or 2014 depending on Julie's retirement plans. With La dame aux camelias and the new prod. of Onegin, Kevin has given her a great rep the last few years, but I assume LDaC will not be back for a number of few years and Onegin will run more season only before laying to rest for a few seasons, so that will leave her with R&J, Giselle, Swan Lake for three acters unless Kevin has his eye on another acquisition that would be a good vehicle for her.

We know ABT will be doing Symphony in C on tour in April 2013, so that implies it should be on at the Met as well, making at least two mixed bills: the all Ratmanksy one and the one that would contain Symphony in C.

The more I think about it, next year's Met season isn't all that hard to predict, at least 80 percent of it. First, there are the full-lengths that are given in alternating years, so in 2013 we'll have Sleeping Beauty and Don Q. That's two weeks filled. Then the obligatory Swan Lake. Three weeks. Revivals of Onegin and Firebird, the latter on a double-bill with something--I would prefer The Dream again, but maybe Les Sylphides (which bores me to tears). That's five weeks. The new Symphony in C (about which I'm personally not enthusiastic, but I don't enjoy Shostakovich, so shoot me). That's six weeks. How much more time is left? Sure I'd like to see Manon and some kind of mixed bill, but the annual Met season doesn't allow for a whole lot of innovative programming.

There will in fact be an evening of three new one-act ballets by Ratmansky:

I'm very much looking forward to it.

I think we are very lucky that ABT is his artistic base, both now and for many years to come. I've enjoyed all his ballets at ABT I've had a chance to see (and I've watched all these multiple times): On the Dnieper, Nutcracker, Seven Sonatas, Bright Stream, and Firebird.

Ilya,

I could not agree more, we are very lucky.

Ratmansky is innovative, elegant, his solutions are out of the box yet classical. He does not disappoint!

Very much looking forward to see more of his work at ABT.