This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Joan Acocella on ABT's female principals -- and Misty Copeland

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Interesting opinions all around. We all have our favorites. I favor Abrera and Lane. However I think that most likely all of theses ladies, including Copeland will be relegated to, in Kevin McKenzie's words "flagship soloists and jr. ballerinas."

But that's the point. Kevin McKenzie is wrong-headed in doing this. Abrera and Lane need their chances right now! They are at the top of their game. If they can thrill Macaulay, they can thrill audiences. Seo has promise, but a ways to go. I just don't see essence of classicism in Boylston. You can put her on stage and she'll ace the fouettes, but that doesn't make for a principal dancer. Perhaps she'll develop as an artist, but I see her now as a technician.

#47 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

I doubt McKenzie would have been satisfied with a glass ceiling at "flagship soloist" playing Princess Aurora's father, etc.

#48 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

I doubt McKenzie would have been satisfied with a glass ceiling at "flagship soloist" playing Princess Aurora's father, etc.

Well said, Jayne.

#49 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

So the favored soloists marked for promotion are Seo and Boylston. Stella and Sarah are just marking time.

This is very wrong-headed of ABT. See Macaulay's review of Le Corsaire in the New York Times. Even he is coming around to Sarah and Stella.. Seo and Boylston don't hold a candle to them and Sarah and Stella deserve their chance at greatness.

I think Hee Seo can hold up to Abrera and Lane....in the right role. She broke my heart as Juliet, and I know a lot of people on this board expressed praise for her Tatiana in Onegin. But I could never see her as a Gamzatti, Kitri, Odile, Manon, etc. I think Seo can be very, very lovely, but I doubt her versatility (and I say this is someone who enjoys her dancing but hasn't seen much of her beyond R&J).

MMR, I, too, loved Seo in R&J, which is why I was so disappointed in her Giselle debut (two years ago?) dancing with Hallberg. Admittedly, he wasn't at his best either. I won't rehash that here, but if you saw the performance you know what I mean. But I think that Stella and Sarah both deserve promotion to Principal Dancer, and Seo needs more time to develop. She was wonderful as the young Tatiana, but less so as the sophisticated adult. She has time on her side. Stella and Sarah do not.

#50 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

In my opinion, I dont think any of these dancers is ready to be promoted (now).

I def would love to see Sarah given opportunities to prove herself in 2-3 full lenghts, which is very diferent to dance a shorter variation. This season she has danced brilliantly in pretty much all I have seen, so it is the time to give her a chance, I think. She is the one that I see with the greatest potential, but I am not sure abt management shares this opinion unf.

Abrera is lovely, but she has never been a principal material for me, and at her age withouth having danced the big classics here, her true chances are very small.

I dont thik Seo is ready whatsoever, but from a practical point of view, I believe she is the one who will be promoted next (and I strongly disagree). She is beautiful, but still not versatile enough and has some major weaknesses.....however, she is adored in the company, and diversity will prob play a role here too, its just my feeling that she will be promoted soon (before or soon after Kent retires)

Boylston has great talent and is promissing, she needs a little more time, but seems to be in the list. They have to be careful and look to what happened with wiles.

Misty looks gorgeous in modern coreography, stunning, but I dont see her as a tutu ballerina. Every single time I have seen her in a very classical role, its being a major dissapoitment. To me she is the least principal material of all of them.

I would also like to see Simon M. given a chance in a full length.

And lets not forget about Kajiya (she is been given Kitri and Giselle already, so watch out here) and D. Teuscher who was priaised big time in the ny times review of Angel's farewell. I think the company has their eyes on her too.

and what happened with L underwood ? She was to my eyes one of the most talented dancers from the corp members.

Thats why it wd be great to have a few extra weeks in the state theater, so a few of these talented ballerinas could get opportunities to develop and prove themself.

#51 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

In my opinion, I dont think any of these dancers is ready to be promoted (now).

I def would love to see Sarah given opportunities to prove herself in 2-3 full lenghts, which is very diferent to dance a shorter variation. This season she has danced brilliantly in pretty much all I have seen, so it is the time to give her a chance, I think. She is the one that I see with the greatest potential, but I am not sure abt management shares this opinion unf.

Abrera is lovely, but she has never been a principal material for me, and at her age withouth having danced the big classics here, her true chances are very small.

I dont thik Seo is ready whatsoever, but from a practical point of view, I believe she is the one who will be promoted next (and I strongly disagree). She is beautiful, but still not versatile enough and has some major weaknesses.....however, she is adored in the company, and diversity will prob play a role here too, its just my feeling that she will be promoted soon (before or soon after Kent retires)

Boylston has great talent and is promissing, she needs a little more time, but seems to be in the list. They have to be careful and look to what happened with wiles.

Misty looks gorgeous in modern coreography, stunning, but I dont see her as a tutu ballerina. Every single time I have seen her in a very classical role, its being a major dissapoitment. To me she is the least principal material of all of them.

I would also like to see Simon M. given a chance in a full length.

And lets not forget about Kajiya (she is been given Kitri and Giselle already, so watch out here) and D. Teuscher who was priaised big time in the ny times review of Angel's farewell. I think the company has their eyes on her too.

and what happened with L underwood ? She was to my eyes one of the most talented dancers from the corp members.

Thats why it wd be great to have a few extra weeks in the state theater, so a few of these talented ballerinas could get opportunities to develop and prove themself.

L Underwood had a recent surgery and has not danced at all this season.

#52 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

oh, thanks for the news
i was wishing to see so much more of her, hope she is back healthy next year
she got ravishing reviews in their last london tour

#53 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

I won't offer my opinions to this thread because of my personal bias for Isabella Boylston, but I will provide a link to a delightful feature in this month's Dance Spirit. Four pages are devoted to a day in NYC with Isabella Boylston. You can see all 4 pages on the two FB pictures, but may not be able to read the small print. Dance Spirit's site doesn't have the article online. It's in the July/August 2012 issue.

https://www.facebook...&type=3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):