Tanaquil Le Clercq: the film?A proposed film about Le Clercq

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Just when I thought things had quieted down with the novel - a film?: http://www.tannyfilm.com/[/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]At least it will be a documentary, supposedly and Martin Scorsese is an advisor: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381319/ P.S. Nancy Reynolds is a consultant, hurray![/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]N.[/size][/font]

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Just when I thought things had quieted down with the novel - a film?: http://www.tannyfilm.com/[/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]At least it will be a documentary, supposedly and Martin Scorsese is an advisor: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381319/ P.S. Nancy Reynolds is a consultant, hurray![/size][/font]

I love the IMDB entry -- Jerome Robbins and George Balanchine are listed as "stars!"

#3 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I love the IMDB entry -- Jerome Robbins and George Balanchine are listed as "stars!"

Isn't it wonderful? I am sure that this documentary will include archival material and great photographs!

#4 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

Isn't it wonderful? I am sure that this documentary will include archival material and great photographs!

Yes! Absolutely wonderful. I am thrilled that this is happening.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I haven't seen any of the other films the director has worked on -- is anyone here familiar with her work?

#6 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]

I haven't seen any of the other films the director has worked on -- is anyone here familiar with her work?

[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]I've read good reviews about her documentary (HBO?) The Loving Story: http://lovingfilm.com/about-the-film/[/size][/font]

#7 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

More good news as I noticed that the co-producer is Ric Burns - brother of Ken Burns Posted Image

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

More good news as I noticed that the co-producer is Ric Burns - brother of Ken Burns Posted Image

I saw that -- I like his doc about the Statue of Liberty very much.

#9 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

[Isn't it wonderful? I am sure that this documentary will include archival material and great photographs!

Let's hope this is one of the rare NYCB documentaries in which rigidities over permissions, rights and pay-offs are resolved.

A friend who taught a master class of students in the capital of a southern state asked those participating how many had heard of Balanchine. Only two responded "yes." Let's hope that Le Clercq and her incredible story -- conveyed through images not usually available to filmmakers -- will help change that.

#10 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I saw that -- I like his doc about the Statue of Liberty very much.

Ric Burns's New York documentary is one of the best I've ever seen.

#11 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

I really hope the NYCB releases some of the archival footage of LeClercq because from what I've seen, she was an incredible dancer. Her final movement of Western Symphony would drop jaws today.

#12 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

[size=3]

[Isn't it wonderful? I am sure that this documentary will include archival material and great photographs!

Let's hope this is one of the rare NYCB documentaries in which rigidities over permissions, rights and pay-offs are resolved.[/size]
[size=3]A friend who taught a master class of students in the capital of a southern state asked those participating how many had heard of Balanchine. Only two responded "yes." Let's hope that Le Clercq and her incredible story -- conveyed through images not usually available to filmmakers -- will help change that.

[/size]
[size=3]Didn't they release footage for the American Masters documentary on Balanchine? What about the Jerome Robbins' archive? Also, Le Clercq left an archive. There is not a lot of footage available of her dancing, is there? There was a nice profile about her on the American Masters' program on Robbins. She really deserves a documentary. [/size]
[size=3]I really don't understand the rights/permissions issues but if Nancy Reynolds is involved then I am hopeful.[/size]

#13 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

You are right, Neryssa, about the American Masters documentary on Balanchine, though the clips are few and rather short compared to what is available. Much archival footage can be viewed at the Dance Collection and other libraries, but one must physically be there to access it, as far as I understand.

Digital distribution for Balanchine (and Robbins) and the NYCB seem to me to be much less than for other choreographers and companies. The challenge for documentary film-makers is daunting. A "dance documentary" without extensive video footage has a huge handicap.

Like you, I found myself hoping that Nancy Reynolds' involvement will mean greater access.

#14 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

A friend pointed out that none of the clips in the American Masters Balanchine documentary exceeded 60 seconds, apparenly the standard for audio/video fair use. I hope that for this project, rights holders grant permissions for longer excerpts.

#15 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

A friend pointed out that none of the clips in the American Masters Balanchine documentary exceeded 60 seconds, apparenly the standard for audio/video fair use. I hope that for this project, rights holders grant permissions for longer excerpts.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]That's not true even if you are only referring to clips of Le Clercq: There was a longish clip of Le Clercq in Western Symphony unless you omit the seconds when Jacques d'Amboise is dancing his solos without Le Clercq. What about the other ballets profiled in that program?[/size][/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):