This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Harold Lang & Gore VidalVintage ballet photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image

From the book Eminent Outlaws: The Gay Writers Who Changed America by Christopher Bram (Hachette, 2012):
"In 1946, shortly after he started ballet lessons for the rheumatoid arthritis he'd developed in the Aleutians during the war, Gore Vidal became involved with handsome dancer Harold Lang" (p. 3).

#2 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

To think it was once sexy to wear bathing suits at your waist line, and minimize the basket!

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

During the Balanchine Centennial at what was still legally known as the New York State Theater, one of the photos displayed in the bay of the east elevator on the orchestra level was a photo of Vidal and others, including Jerome Robbins and an especially radiant Tanaquil LeClercq, at a picnic table. I don't remember whether Laing was among them.

#4 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Wonderful photo, saw it in some context -- probably the Tanny novel -- recently. i don't think Laing was in it, either.
He WOULD have been associated with City Center Ballet, probably, when Tudor did his brief stint with them....

#5 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

Ah. yes....Gore (we knew him as Gene) Vidal was a member of my ballet class with George Chaffee around that time...he wore white tennis shorts to class.....

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Vidal has written about his brief affair with Lang. The latter was apparently chasing (and catching) anything that wasn't red hot or nailed down and there are limits to the open-relationship thing, one gathered.

The "picnic table" photo is well known and widely reproduced, most recently I think when Donald Windham died.

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

The "picnic table" photo is well known and widely reproduced, most recently I think when Donald Windham died.

Thanks so much for this link -- I hadn't heard of Flair magazine, and now am going to go look around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):