16 replies to this topic

#16 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the link abatt! The figures the NY Times provides are illuminating:

City Ballet board members are expected to contribute or raise at least $100,000, and generally more for chairmen.

City Ballet is trying to pare down deficits that reached $8 million in 2008 and have dipped to a projected $1.4 million on a budget of $62.4 million this year.

I also looked at the annual report on the NYCB website:
http://www.nycballet...ny/reports.html

For the year ending June 30, 2010 (the most recent available), the company received about 25 million from ticket sales, and (among other sources) about 3.6 million from special events, 2.3 million from Guild memberships, 2.7 million from foundations, 1.2 million from corporations and 7.5 million from individuals.

Yesterday I received an email saying in part:

"The end of our fiscal year is June 30 and we have yet to hit our goal. We need your help… We have been closing in on that target [$150,000], but are not there yet. This is the bottom line: your gift today, matched by the [named] Family on a dollar-for-dollar basis, will help the Company end the year in its strongest fiscal position in years."

This is all very interesting considering the near total secrecy surrounding Board contributions and financial matters that NYCB maintained well into the 1990's. Fund-raising letters often mentioned targets, matching funds, and the like, but NEVER revealed the amounts that were expected from potential Board members.

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

[size=4]I just read in the NY Times that Alec Baldwin donated $1M to the NY Philharmonic. He is on the Board of Directors there. Too bad Alec doesn't like ballet more. [/size]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):