This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Guest Stage Manager Experience - Bayadere - May 25 (Long)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

As I get older, I find that watching dancers in class, in rehearsal, and backstage (the few tijmes I've had that privilege) is often even more emotionally powerful than the performance itself. Or, rather, powerful in a different but equally valid way.

One of the big perks of working as a critic is the chance to watch rehearsals from time to time -- I love sitting in the studio and seeing people work it all out.

#17 melissaga

melissaga

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

It is surprisingly quiet backstage – the sound from both the orchestra and audience is very muted

I am a very occassional lurker. My daughter was a super in Romeo and Juliet this season. She mentioned the same thing, but she also mentioned that the dancers carry on conversations in their normal speaking voices while on stage in those large group scenes such as in the marketplace, etc. She was shocked the first time one of the company members came by and spoke with her during a performance! She is used to whispers, if anything, while on stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):