5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

Lorna Feijoo dances with the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami this weekend.

"Cubans are more critical and I like that, because it is hard to find a knowledgeable audience," she says. "In Cuba there is a lot of dance culture; you see packed theaters, and that goes from generation to generation."

Feijóo comes with her husband, fellow Cuban-born Boston Ballet dancer Nelson Madrigal, to pay tribute to Venezuelan choreographer Vicente Nebrada.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Michael Nunn and William Trevitt receive OBEs.

Among the new OBEs are the Ballet Boyz, Michael Nunn and William Trevitt, popularisers of ballet on television, and several classical musicians, including violinist Tasmin Little, pianist Joanna MacGregor and English National Opera music director Edward Gardner. TV choirmaster Gareth Malone and pop singer Gary Barlow, film director Sally Potter and broadcast Armando Iannucci are also made OBEs.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Alberta Ballet holds its annual house and garden tour.

This is the 24th house and garden tour, an annual fundraiser supporting Alberta Ballet, one of the largest arts organizations in Canada, as well as ongoing enthusiasm for the arts.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

A review of the National Ballet of Canada by Denise Sum for danceviewtimes.

Béjart's "Song of a Wayfarer" has been performed by the NBoC since 1980, although prior to this run it had not been performed for over 20 years. It requires incredible technical strength from both male dancers. Originally created on Rudolph Nureyev and Paolo Bortoluzzi, and subsequently performed by the likes of Laurent Hilaire and Manuel Legris, anyone dancing in this ballet has big shoes to fill. Luckily, opening night featured a dream cast of the NBoC's reigning danseur noble, Guillaume Côté, and former NBoC principal Zdenek Konvalina (now with the English National Ballet) returning as a guest artist. The two dancers are well-matched in style and share a genuine rapport on stage. Both gave virtuoso performances that brought the audience quickly to their feet. Konvalina was the blue man (the Nureyev role), a role he has danced before, just once at a gala. While the choreography is not purely classical, it benefits from Konvalina's precise placement, clean line, and soft plié. Konvalina was the smoother of the two, while Côté's movements were more expansive. Both demonstrated impressive stamina and control. At approximately 18 minutes, the duet is a marathon.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

David Trzensimiech gets a shout out from The Independent, in brief.

What happens when your star storms off ?

Someone has to fill his ballet shoes. Step forward Dawid Trzensimiech....

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,093 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Bring on Tamara Rojo for Question Time, says David Lister in The Independent.

I say bring on the artists, if for no other reason than they are unpredictable. From Question Time to Newsnight, I feel that I know in advance what the usual pundits are going to say. The party hacks will always support the beleaguered minister, the opposition spokespeople will attack him, the smirking commentator will attempt to be above it all. But I have no idea what Mike Leigh would make of the Leveson Inquiry, what Caryl Churchill or Maggi Hambling would say about child poverty, or what Sir Peter Hall, Antony Gormley or Sir Simon Rattle would do about Europe. But I suspect that their views would be different and thought-provoking. Just as I suspect that Tamara Rojo has more subjects to offer expert comment on than girls' self-image and anorexia – though giving her a national platform on that would be a good start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):