#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

A preview of the Australian Ballet's "Swan Lake."

For the first time in North America, audiences will be able to experience Graeme Murphy's award-winning interpretation. Murphy's "Swan Lake," originally created in 2002, for the ballet company's 40th Anniversary, is loosely based on the Prince Charles, Princess Diana, Camilla Parker Bowles saga. Apparently there is no Odile, and instead of an evil wizard lurking about with a wicked daughter, there is a Baroness Von Rothbart, the princes' older, former lover who taunts the young bride, Odette. Instead of a case of mistaken identity and deception, we are presented with a conflicted, love triangle and the psychological effects of this situation on a young bride.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

The Mikhailovsky Theater will present "Swan Lake" in Vancouver.

The size of the production is staggering. Altogether, there are more than 90 dancers in a cast and crew that numbers 180. As well, Pyotr Tchaikovsky's score will be performed live by an orchestra of 66 musicians conducted by Valery Ovsyankov. That's only slightly smaller than the VSO and its 73 musicians.

Oksana Bondareva will be dancing the role of Odette-Odile for all four evening performances. On opening night and Saturday, Prince Siegfried will be danced by Leonid Sarafanov, a former principal dancer for the Mariinsky Theatre.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Sacramento Ballet's new season celebrates Ron Cunningham's 25th anniversary as artistic director.

The season will open in October with his full-length "Romeo & Juliet," followed by the holiday favorite "The Nutcracker," then the premiere of Cunningham's "The Great Gatsby" and, in March, his adaptation of Shakespeare's comedy "A Midsummer Night's Dream," which was last performed here 10 years ago.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre's "Firebird" by Apollinaire Scherr in The Financial Times.

The genius of Alexei Ratmansky – American Ballet Theatre’s artist in residence, former Bolshoi director – is to turn the lack of dramatic imperative to his advantage. The pathos and delight of his Firebird lies in the fact that this Ivan and Maiden are not destined to fall in love; they decide to.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

A feature on Vitor Menezes and Guilherme Menezes, twin brothers who dance with the English National Ballet. Video clips included.

The twins were soon performing at competitions such as the prestigious Prix de Lausanne and were offered a place at the English National Ballet School. They recently joined the Company and are on their first international tour with the company in Australia.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Mary Helen Bowers publishes a book.

“Ballet Beautiful is about finding balance and making fitness a part of your life in a happy, healthy, rewarding way where you get to feel pretty and look beautiful. It’s not about beating yourself up in the gym and locking yourself in a dark room with blasting music,” she explains. “A lot of fitness has that very masculine energy and drive, and that never worked for me. I want to be challenged, I don’t want to be told that I’m terrible, and that I suck and that I’m not good enough — that’s not motivating. I think the measure of a really good fitness program is how well you’re really able to maintain it and be happy.…If you’re not happy, it’s just not really going to work.”

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

An interview with Kang Sue-jin.

The 44-year-old prima ballerina, still active on stage and who has already passed the average retirement age for dancers, responded clearly to that question: “No, not anytime soon.”

“When I was in my early 30s, I thought that I would retire before I reached 40. But even after I passed 40, I found ballet more interesting than ever,” Kang told the reporters in Seoul on Monday. Kang and the Stuttgart Ballet are currently in Seoul to stage the ballet drama this weekend at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 23,992 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre in "La Bayadere" by Carol Pardo for danceviewtimes.

Perhaps the disjunction between the lead characters comes from in differences in style and experience. As Nikiya, Cojocaru is all line and long limbs (her arms seem longer than her partner’s). Vasiliev is a committed actor; you always know what his character is feeling and seeing. He’s possessed of a buoyant jump, at its best when it is unornamented; the one thing he doesn’t have is line. Misty Copeland did very well by the pure classical demands of Gamzatti, but her reaction to the chaos of the final act didn’t read. Was she horrified at being found out? Terrified? Did she suddenly realize that love outranked rank? Only time (and more performances) will tell if these three disparate artists can build on a thoroughly believable premise and make all of “La Bayadère” work as well, dramatically and logically, as the first act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):