1 reply to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

A report from a Pacific Northwest Ballet dress rehearsal by Scott Arend for seattle-pi.com.

....The choreography could not have been more perfect in bringing every note of this luscious score to life. The energy of the corps de ballet and the touching solo moments were extraordinary. This was an artistic piece of synergy that combined beautiful elements in their own right – dancing, music, lighting and costumes – to transcend the tragic story of Julie Jordan and Billy Bigelow into a grand, living collage of universal love, heart ache and loss. This piece grabbed me at the core and I cried. I cried because it was so damn beautiful, bittersweet, and personal on so many levels. I felt emotionally charged and changed from watching it.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

A review of the Bolshoi Ballet's "Swan Lake" by Laura Bleiberg in The New York Times.

The nearly sold-out run and enthusiastic audience response reflects the continuing American attraction to this crowd-pleasing ballet and the Bolshoi, which hasn't performed at the Music Center for more than a decade. It hasn't, however, been a smooth trajectory for this infamously fractious troupe, and that too was reflected in the performance.

Former Bolshoi principal dancer Sergei Filin is now artistic director — the fifth in 17 years. Grigorovich's exit mostly freed the colossus from a stale repertory, but not entirely. This "Swan Lake" (built atop a foundation from choreographers Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov and Alexander Gorsky) was updated 11 years ago, but it largely resembles the flawed version that was last seen here in 1990 at the Shrine Auditorium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):