This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Alonso (& Youskevitch) in THEME AND VARIATIONSpublicity portrait photo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

i suppose this is one way to show that the ballerina overshadowed her partner as far as this newspaper was concerned.

Attached Files

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

#3 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

How interesting -- I've seen lots of photos with different elements masked out like that, if they want to make a group shot into a portrait, but the cut line on the back implies that it ran with both dancers in the shot. Most likely, the masking is from a later, sloppier use, and no one bothered to change the information on the back, but as it is right now, it does look pretty bizarre!

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

I've seen that face shot of her before, sans Igor. It was definitely done for that purpose.

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

there are two dates stamped on the back of the print, both from '48, one for March and another for April.
presumably in Mar. it was used in full; the portion of the photo above the pasted caption shows the full frame.
subsequently, in April, one supposes, the photo was used as a portrait of Alonso, perhaps on the second occasion as less specific publicity for Ballet Theatre and not one necessarily pegged to THEME AND VARIATIONS.

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

As usual, thanks rg for the wonderful photos..! Posted Image

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Do I detect a hint of the Phantom of the Opera in Igor's appearance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):