6 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Dancers from San Francisco Ballet organize a cancer prevention benefit.

Stage fright is something that San Francisco Ballet soloists Garen Scribner and James Sofranko conquered years ago. Now they are trying to combat cancer as well. The two have organized an event considered the first of its kind in the Bay Area, drawing 32 dancers from 11 of the highest-profile companies in the region to perform the best of their repertoires in a one-time show. The fundraiser, called "Get in Front," takes place at the Herbst Theatre on Wednesday; the dancers are volunteering their time and proceeds will go toward the Cancer Prevention Institute of California.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

A story on the late Norwegian swimmer Alexander Dale Oen.

He spent a lot of time training with the Royal Ballet in London. He even took part in their rehearsals for their production of Romeo and Juliet, together with Royal Ballet's principal dancer Steven McRae.

"In swimming at my level it's about control of the small movements," Dale Oen explained. "A good ballet dancer floats across the stage, the best sprinters virtually abolish gravity. All motion occurs in the right direction. Everything is in one. This is where I should be."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

The Eglevsky Ballet starts up the Eglevsky Ballet Training Program.

The Eglevsky Ballet Training Program will be the official training program for the ballet company. As the company’s official program, EBTP will serve as a feeder for The Eglevsky Ballet Company and will offer performing opportunities for students at various levels of training.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

A review of the National Ballet of Canada in "Hamlet" by Michael Crabb in The Toronto Star.

American choreographer Kevin O’Day’s Hamlet, given its North American premiere at Toronto’s Four Seasons Centre on Friday night, is much easier to admire than to like. It’s ambitious, full-blooded and compellingly danced to the hilt by our own National Ballet. Yet, frustratingly, this Hamlet oscillates with as much indecision as its title character between heavy symbolism and straightforward story-telling.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Financial Times writer Jeremy Taylor takes a ballet class with Ursula Hageli and Marianela Nuñez.

“Grip me tight because as you straighten your legs, you will have to raise me gently into the air. And look at me with passion and longing – as if you are madly in love!” I seem to have mastered that bit but, hard as I try, lifting Nuñez gracefully proves impossible. The problem is not that she weighs more than a fairy should – just that the lift requires me to bend both knees and sweep up Nuñez gently, in one continuous movement. Co-ordinated leg and arm strength are a prerequisite, almost impossible unless you have the right muscles in the right places.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Steven Heathcote returns to the stage to perform with his daughter Mia.

The pair will star in Sweedeedee, a new ballet by Tim Harbour that headlines Let's Dance, a showcase of works to celebrate the Australian Ballet's 50th anniversary.

Ballet has been Heathcote's passport to the world from Latvia to London, seen him appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for services to dance, and earned him a swag of gongs, including three Helpmann Awards; now, ballet is a family affair. It's the first time he and Mia, 16, an Australian Ballet School student, have performed together.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

A review of the English National Ballet's collaborative performance with Flawless by Mark Monahan in The Telegraph.

It speaks volumes that the single most successful passage comes at the end, once the so-called story is over. Here, everyone on stage – the nine members of Flawless and 10 ENB girls– appears emancipated, and, as the former sparkily pirouette while the latter expertly moonwalk, the piece suddenly layers the two central dance styles on top of each other with a completeness and a grace that have so far largely eluded it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):