38 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Tershkina would make s great Act II PDD women in Kondaurova's performances of Titania and vice versa, and I don't see a need for a gimmick that undermines the drama, but I also don't think the Balanchine stagers dictate casting, even now, although they might argue their case strongly.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes but Balanchine himself allowed Titania to be the A2 PDD lead in the same performance, in Switzerland in the 70s (as per Goldner's book). It's crazy but there is precedence, apparently blessed by Balancine himself because he loved a particular ballerina in Switzerland.

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

There may have been times in the past when accommodations have been made, for all kinds of reasons, but one of the wonderful things about Balanchine's MSND is the plethora of roles for principal level women -- it's a great way to see a wide variety of artists on stage. Casting Titania and the Divert with the same woman would mean passing up that opportunity. I'd be surprised if an artistic director would do something that implied the company didn't have enough artists to fully cast the production.

#19 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

O Helene, I do not think Tereshkina would be good for the act 2 pdd -- Nothing against Tereshkina, she is a magnificent dancer, and truly classical, but her qualities are all wrong -- it needs to me someone small and moonstruck, like Allegra Kent-- Obrastsova would be excellent [but hasn't she left the company]? Pavlenko, Ayupova type. She needs to be someone who never telegraphs what's coming.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Obraztsova has joined the Bolshoi.

I always think of Tereshkina as the opposite: a dancer who keeps feelings close to the chest. She's always reminded me of Nichols, whom I loved in the role. I prefer the long legged, cool bones, but it speaks differently to everyone.

its Ayupova still dancing? I've only seen her 1993 Calliope from the Balanchine Celebration.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

The Mariinsky web has just revealed the names of the PDD couples! Good news -- it's not 'Ms X' (we're in the clear). Bad news -- it's 'Junior Ms X' - SKORIK - for night 1.

Night 1 - Skorik & Zverev
Night 2 - Shirinkina & Styopin

#22 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

its Ayupova still dancing? I've only seen her 1993 Calliope from the Balanchine Celebration.

I believe she is coaching now at the Mikhailovsky...

(Lovely dancer, never saw her in Balanchine, but perfect as first of the six fairies in Sleeping Beauty -- Sergeyev version I think -- and in Les Sylphides...)

#23 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

Mariinsky's MSND already showed up on a popular video site apparantly shoot by an audience member. I am not up to date with forum policy regarding posting links to such videos so I am not posting the links. It may be unfair to judge from such videos but from what I have seen its MSNB looked very odd compared with NYCB's. Tempo were too slow, dancing/acting were too mannered..., it didn't have the free flows that NYCB does. May be something were lost in translation, in a video posted by MT, the stager mentioned the dancers kept saying yes even though she had a feeling they did not completely understand the instructions. Act II looked very Petipa with those big pancake tutus. BTW what's the house policy regarding taking pictures and video at MT?

#24 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Mussel, I am guessing that the Mariinsky house policy is the same as any other theater on earth but some people get away with it.

YouTubes are allowed on BA. I found the following showing the first-cast in the culmination of the Wedding March that opens Act II. Kondaurova (as Hyppolita) is in the middle.

My sister in law attended both performances. As expected, Kondaurova and Terioshkina were magnificent. Askerov was better-than-expected as Oberon. A major surprise was Svetlana Ivanova as the Lead Butterfly (both nights).

#25 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

THanks, Natalia, for posting that noble fragment.
Beautiful placement of the head!

WOuld love to see more. Please post more as it turns up.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Paul, this segment was posted by YouTuber 'butterflysamar' -- he/she has posted a number of other clips...but not yet Hyppolita jumping through the fog with the wild horses...what WE ALL await. (ha-ha)

You can go to YouTube and search for other clips posted by butterflysamar.

#27 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mussel, I am guessing that the Mariinsky house policy is the same as any other theater on earth but some people get away with it.

YouTubes are allowed on BA.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought at one point BA anly allowed official video posted by companies. Now I can post them away. State Theater is very fetish in enforcing its no photo policy even during curtain calls to a point of being disruptive to other audence.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

...at one point BA anly allowed official video posted by companies. ....

That was a while ago before YouTube became so major! Just last fall several of us posted substantial 'amateur' clips on major performances such as the POB La Source, the Scala Raymonda and the Bolshoi's Beauty, with BA moderators joining in the lively exchange of comments. We've posted links to Vaganova Academy graduations, etc. Not to condone the 'amateur filming' at all...but it's on YouTube and we don't really care how it got there. If a theater or choreographer complains, then the film will be yanked off YouTube and links will no longer work.

#29 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

I hope somebody gets to see this and writes about it. It's a production I would dearly love to see.

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Alexandra, Catherine Pawlick is covering it for Dance Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):