This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Bright Stream - Spring 2012

I said it last year, and I'll say it again--GO SEE THIS!!!

Tonight's performance had the house howling with laughter, but unfortunately it was not very full! Such a shame!

The cast was the same as last year's opening night cast, but I feel like everyone danced bigger, and with more gusto, than I remember. Truly a delight!

Once again, David Hallberg's ballerina-sylph alone was worth the price of admission, and his pointe work seems to have improved from last year. Very impressive!

Gillian Murphy and Paloma Herrera were both "on" and pulled off some impressive turns, leaps, and flashing footwork.

And Marcelo Gomes was his usual marvelous self. Of course Zina forgives him for his little indiscretion! Who wouldn't be charmed by him?

I also salute Craig Salstein for his utterly hilarious, no-holds-barred interpretation of the Accordion player, and Maria Riccetto for her gleeful Galya. ABT needs to give her more comedic roles, because she really shines in them! (I shall never forget her stepsister from last year's "Cinderella"--so funny even during the bows!)

Martine Van Hamel and Victor Barbee as the dacha dwellers, and Misty Copeland and Jared Matthews as the milkmaid and the tractor driver rounded out this excellent cast.

It appears that they taped tonight's show for the NYPL archives--I know because my original seats were right in front of the camera so we had to be reseated. Instead, we were a few rows ahead of the camera, which probably means that all you will hear on the tape is me and my friends laughing hysterically! happy.png

It appears that they taped tonight's show for the NYPL archives--I know because my original seats were right in front of the camera so we had to be reseated. Instead, we were a few rows ahead of the camera, which probably means that all you will hear on the tape is me and my friends laughing hysterically! happy.png

I'm so glad to hear this -- I saw the film version recently and was very impressed. I'll look forward to seeing this ABT production on film the next time I'm at the library.

I'm so glad to hear this -- I saw the film version recently and was very impressed. I'll look forward to seeing this ABT production on film the next time I'm at the library.

I just hope we haven't ruined the recording! My friends and I were truly laughing extremely loudly, very close to the camera! sweatingbullets.gif

Disappointing to hear about Osipova--I hope she recovers soon. I guess some kind of nasty virus is going around!

Isabella Boylston is quite the trooper! First Bayadere on Monday, then two Bright Streams in a row (tonight and tomorrow)! If she keeps this up, she'll be like the Marcelo of the ladies.

I went to a few Bright Stream performances earlier in the week. Attendance was very, very poor. Although I enjoyed seeing it, I can understand the reasons for the sparse attendance. I think the choreography is thin for large portions of the ballet. I enjoyed the first cast very much (Murphy, Gomes, Herrera, Hallberg). Hallberg was pretty hilarious in drag. Murphy and Herrera looked great together in the portions where they danced side by side. The standout of the second cast was Herman Cornejo,with his awesome technical skills. Boylston, replacing Osipova, was full of high flying leaps as well. She's having a great season. I saw a porton of the performance on Wed. evening, and Vasiliev was thrilling. However, the pairing of Kent and Vasiliev (as Kent's husband), and Boylston (as Kent's contemporary) was odd, to say the least. The age difference was very apparent. Moreover, there was no unison between Boylston and Kent in the sections where there should have been. Boylston was dancing full-out, while Kent, in comparison, was sketching the choreography. Based on the sparsity of attendance, this one will probably not be back next season. Hoping for Flames of Paris.

Osipova was back tonight. Judging by the incredible hight of the jumps during the lezginka, fully recovered. Wow.

The rest of the cast was marvelous as well: Reyes, Cornejo, Simkin, and the supporting cast, especially Susan Jones.

Here's a clip of Kobborg rehearsing la sylph, he pulled off some quadruple turns!

Kobborg did have some AMAZING pirouettes, I was very impressed. I did enjoy seeing him and Isabella Boylston quite a bit--they made a finely-balanced pair. I think Isabella may have toned down some of her moves, or maybe Julie did hers more full-out at the Saturday matinee, but they looked more evenly matched to me!

Unlike Hallberg, Kobborg did not try to be ballerina-perfect at all. Still, as with the pirouettes, he pulled off some impressive on-pointe feats. (I really hope Alina Cojocaru saw him as a sylph, and I would love to know what she thought of it!)

On the margin, I have to say I found David's portrayal to be more hilarious because he had this sharp contrast between really spot-on ballerina impressions--perfect arms, perfect sylph pose--and then obviously ungraceful, man-in-drag moves. And the whole time, he just looked HUGE and ridiculous in the voluminous sylph costume!

I really enjoyed the ballet (and the dancers looked like they were having fun too), but I agree that this probably won't be back soon--it was totally, totally empty on Sat afternoon, which I thought was a terrible shame!

On a slightly unrelated note, here's a pic that Daniil Simkin posted of him and Osipova backstage! smile.png

http://www.daniilsim...ostume-onstage/

Here's a clip of Kobborg rehearsing la sylph, he pulled off some quadruple turns!

(I really hope Alina Cojocaru saw him as a sylph, and I would love to know what she thought of it!)

I suspect she saw it... when I asked for a pair of signed pointe shoes, I was told somebody arrived earlier smile.png

Although she must have enjoyed it as we did, I'm happy to say that she didn't take anything from that for her wonderful Sylph on Tuesday (partnering Kobborg's superb James: what a show!!!)