• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Congrats to Semionova, and I actually really like her, but this promotion makes me feel bad for the Soloists who are already there..

Why, oh why, don't they promote Stella Abrera? She is one of the most exquisite dancers of this generation and after her performances in SB in New Zealand, has shown her ability to carry major principal roles. I think that at this stage she is more polished than Semionova, who still needs some serious coaching to bring her fluidity up several notches.

#17 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Do ABT female soloists / principals ever get poached by other companies?

#18 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yes ...starting with Zakharova's hair description. Since when is she a blond...? Posted Image

I don't think she is blond now but she has been blond (or blondish) for a while. At that time for sure Osipova was at Bolshoi, so everything matches, just in another era. Posted Image

#19 RUKen

RUKen

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Erica Cornejo was a soloist with ABT before she joined Boston Ballet in 2006.

#20 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Erica Cornejo was a soloist with ABT before she joined Boston Ballet in 2006.

Beginning at the end of the summer, Maria Riccetto will be gone from ABT for a year to dance with Julio Bocca's company in Argentina (she guested as Medora with them recently as well).

Sarah and Stella have also performed a variety of roles at other companies recently as guests (Stella as Aurora and Sarah Lane as O/O and Giselle), and Sarah has mentioned that Angel has spoken with her about joining Barcelona Ballet part time if they can work out scheduling, etc. Angel also "poached" quite a few ABT dancers as part of his permanent roster when he originally started his ballet company.

#21 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Based on the financial difficulties at Barcelona Ballet (linked elesewhere),Barcelona Ballet might not have much in the way of funding to hire Sarah Lane, or anyone else, as a guest artist.

#22 Plisskin

Plisskin

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Congrats to Semionova, and I actually really like her, but this promotion makes me feel bad for the Soloists who are already there..

Why, oh why, don't they promote Stella Abrera? She is one of the most exquisite dancers of this generation and after her performances in SB in New Zealand, has shown her ability to carry major principal roles. I think that at this stage she is more polished than Semionova, who still needs some serious coaching to bring her fluidity up several notches.

I would have no hard feelings for any of the Soloists and Corp dancers for leaving and dancing elsewhere. McKenzie relies on hiring foreign stars way too much instead of developing what he has. Too often McKenzie lets dancers, who could be brilliant, languish away in Corps, or never promotes dancers who should have been promoted ages ago (Abrera). The only 2 positive things I can say he has done was establishing an associate school for ABT (We will happily see the fruits of this in the future reflected in the Corp being uniform) and hiring Ratmansky. Other than that, his decisions as an AD, I feel, holds back ABT from becoming great like companies such as the Mariinskiy, Bolshoi, or POB.

#23 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would have no hard feelings for any of the Soloists and Corp dancers for leaving and dancing elsewhere. McKenzie relies on hiring foreign stars way too much instead of developing what he has. Too often McKenzie lets dancers, who could be brilliant, languish away in Corps, or never promotes dancers who should have been promoted ages ago (Abrera). The only 2 positive things I can say he has done was establishing an associate school for ABT (We will happily see the fruits of this in the future reflected in the Corp being uniform) and hiring Ratmansky. Other than that, his decisions as an AD, I feel, holds back ABT from becoming great like companies such as the Mariinskiy, Bolshoi, or POB.

Well said. I totally agree. The only thing I would add is that he promotes certain dancers who are not ready for promotion at the expense of those he doesn't promote.

#24 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Many on this board have thanked McKenzie for bringing to NY performers they have wanted to see perform, and for the wonderful performances. This does not mean he should not promote or develop, but apparently a lot of people seem happy to have the opportunity to see certain stars. I am grateful for this in certain aspects, even though I appreciate many in the company.

#25 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am so thriiiiiled that she is coming full time, and according to the response to her performances, nyc audiences are too !
Her Nikiya was spectacular. It is really a luxury to have the chance to see her perform in the years to come, and hopefully, grow even more under Kolpakova's guidance
Thansssk abt !!!

#26 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

She is now officially listed on ABT site: http://www.abt.org/d...p?Dancer_ID=256 so as James Whiteside http://www.abt.org/d...p?Dancer_ID=300

Her only performance date listed is 10/26/12 Don Q in Barcelona for now. Hopefully she'll be casted for the City Center fall season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):