This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Bayadere Spring 2012

I started this topic so people can post what they see. I will be at the May 24 and 25 performances. As we discussed before, hopefully I can meet some of you. Helene suggested meeting at the costumes as soon as you get up the main staircase.

If I meet some of you, great!!! Always fun to put a face to the name (or pseudonym)! LOL

I have salt and pepper buzzed hair (half Asian) and will be with my partner who is taller and older than I am. Trying to post a pic, but it leaves a big question mark.

Hope someone will review Part, Herrera, and Seo in La Bayadere, so we can read about them also! If my flight is on time I might attend NYCB's Liebeslieder Walzer/Brahms Schoenberg Quartet tomorrow night. Did not buy a ticket and will try at the last minute. Figured I shouldn't buy a ticket since flight could be delayed.

I'm copying this from the ABT - Visheva/Gomes/Osipova thread in hopes of clarifying where we all plan to meet during the first intermission on Friday 5/25.

I thought top of the main stairs.....is that Grand Tier or Parterre? I can't remember.....

Bart, The top of the main stairs is the Parterre Level.

Okay, let's plan on that during first intermission. Let's hope others are reading!

Actually, the top of the middle (what I consider to be the main) staircase is the Grand Tier Level. There are also 2 side staircases that veer off and lead to the Parterre level, which is why I hope Helene will see this and clarify which one she was referring to. Otherwise we can just pick one. I would vote for the Parterre level cause the Grand Tier tends to get crowded with people heading to the bar and to the terrace.

Thank you, Susan. I posted a link to a photo of the staircase with description on the other thread, here. Double posting only to avoid reading someone's "But I thought it was on the other level!" BTW, surprising how difficult it was to find a clear photo of that iconic staircase!

Trying to post a pic, but it leaves a big question mark.

Members cannot post photos. Only rg and administrators have permission. Photos take up expensive bandwidth wink1.gif . If there's a picture of yourself on another site, and if it's visible to the public, you can link to it.

Thank you, Susan. I posted a link to a photo of the staircase with description on the other thread, here. Double posting only to avoid reading someone's "But I thought it was on the other level!" BTW, surprising how difficult it was to find a clear photo of that iconic staircase!

Trying to post a pic, but it leaves a big question mark.

Members cannot post photos. Only rg and administrators have permission. Photos take up expensive bandwidth wink1.gif . If there's a picture of yourself on another site, and if it's visible to the public, you can link to it.

Oh, okay, Carbro, that explains it. No big deal. Thanks for linking photo of staircase.

I made the mistake of starting this topic and forgetting one already existed which is causing double postings about where to meet. Maybe everything can be combine by a moderator.

The article in the "New Yorker" in yesterday's links describes the Kingdom of the Shades scene as a "vision of Heaven". I always thought of it more like Orpheus, in Hades, I guess due to some form of dyslexia, but the dancers do descend down a staircase from an elevated plane. Most myths and stories that involve interacting with the departed I think deal with the underworld. Do any others deal with interactions with Heavenly creatures, other than angels? Are departed, temple priestesses supposed to be angels?

Wiley's translation of the libretto for LA BAYADERE notes "The Kingdom of the Shades" as "an enchanted place," in which "Soft, harmonious music is heard."

i suppose "heaven" could be a description of that realm.

archive documents connected to Petipa, particularly to his images for a Kingdom of the Shades scene of his in MLADA, note his suggesting a look at Dore's illustrations for Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, in particular illustrations that include lines of angels spiraling into the heavens.

traditional stagings of Petipa's BAYADERE Shades have them descending a ramp, and, when the stage is large enough, that ramp zig-zags once or twice before leading to the stage itself.

pictures of Petipa-era settings for this scene show the place to be a rocky terrain.

The Metropolitan Opera House was, indeed, Heaven last night when Veronika Part opened in Bayadere. She has lost weight, which has given her a sleeker body and an even more beautiful line. Sensuous, rapturous, eloquent--there's no one in the company, with the possible exception of Stella Abrera, whom we don't get to see in major major roles, who even comes close. Her performance was flawless. I'll let others report on last night's other dancers, but I will say that the corps, although very much in unison coming down the ramp, seemed to me extremely bland, lacking the fluidity and musicality that you see in the DVD of Paris Opera Ballet performing this ballet.

I thought that Part did a wonderful job, with great extensions and her long fluid lines. However, that old demon that haunts her from time to time re-emerged. She came off pointe at least twice during the scarf dance in Act II. She looked very frustrated by this problem. Murphy, as always, knocked it out of the park as Gamzatti. Gomes was terrific. It's too bad that he and Veronika don't dance together more often. The auditorium was like a ghost town. Very poor attendance.

A lot of people have been talking about how thin Veronica looks, but I think she looks like she has been working out more and in a different way. Her leg muscles look incredible and so very well-defined, but differently than a typical dancer's legs. She looked great even in her awful gala costume.

Even the Cojocaru's Giselle opposite Corella's final Albrecht (probably) in New York was a far cry from a full house. So sad. And while I wasn't at the Tuesday Bayadere, the Wednesday's triple-NewYork-debut had a very sad turnout.

.....Wednesday's triple-NewYork-debut had a very sad turnout.

Was this the Seo-Boylston-Muntagirov cast? They had already danced it in DC last February although, yes, this would be the NYC debut. Boylston suffered an on-stage injury in DC, concerning many fans whether or not she would recover in time for the NYC performance. GREAT that she DID perform! Would love to read your impressions.

I was at the Wed matinee. Lots of older retirees. In fact, there were so many women that they turned the men's room into a ladies room for the intermissions on the balcony level. Pretty full house. Cast was Herrera/Stearns/Abrera. I cannot understand why Stella is not a principal. Her performance was wonderful. I have not been a big Cory fan in the past, but I thought he did very well. He has improved tremendously over the years. A very fine performance. Herrera was good, although she is certainly not the most lyrical dancer. Can't wait for tonight and tomorrow night's casts.

Very disappointing -- but at least you all know in advance. I was reminded of the endless cancellations by Gelsey Kirkland in the 70s/80s -- but we typically didn't find out until the lights went down in the theater.

The NY Times review of Part on Tuesday suggests it will be worthwhile nonetheless:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/24/arts/dance/american-ballet-theaters-bayadere-at-met-opera-house.html?ref=dance

This is one of the performances in which ABT hiked up the price of the tickets due to high demand (dynamic pricing). ABT is laughing all the way to the bank on this one. I actually feel sorry for Part, since most of the audience will not know that Vishneva is replaced until they get to the Met tomorrow. Performing for an angry/disappointed audience as the replacement is a tough job.