This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marc Haegemann has posted a bunch of new photos of the recent Bolshoi performances of "Jewels":

Emeralds and Rubies

Diamonds

Emeralds features Evgenia Obrastzova/Vladislav Lantratov and Anastasia Stashkevich/Dmitry Gudanov in the Verdy/Ludlow roles, Maria Prorvich, Denis Medvedev, and Svetlana Pavlova in the "Pas de trois", and Anna Tikhomirova and Yuri Baranov in the Paul/Moncion roles.

Rubies features Ekaterina Krysanova, Yulia Grebenschchikova, Nina Kaptsova/Andrei Bolotin, and Daria Khokhlova/Vyacheslav Lopatin.

Diamonds features Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin and Ekaterina Krysanova/Alexander Volchkov.

If you are a Facebook member, you can get quick notification whenever new photos are posted by "Like"ing Friends of For Ballet Lovers Only.

I commend the designer for taking a risk on the Rubies costumes. I was expecting the design to be more flapper, perhaps not an exact replica of the NYCB costume, but with jewel placement that looks more like this (for the decoration design, not necessarily the loose costume):

http://en.wikipedia....26full_crop.jpg

I don't think the Bolshoi design is a failure, I like the movement of the silver layer, perhaps if there was a matching ruby layer just above that was equally flashy.