This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2012-2013 Season

Just received the First Look 2012-2013 Season Brochure. The brochure includes the third and final installment of the portrait campain of the Soloist and Corps de Ballet Company members photos by Henry Leutwyler, as well as the planned repertory for all three seasons.

Here is what is coming:

Fall 2012: Sept. 18- Oct. 14

Agon

Apollo

Danses Concertantes

Divertimento from "Le Baiser De La Fee

Duo Concertant

Firebird

Monumentum Pro Gesualdo

Movements for Piano and Orchestra

Orpheus

Scherzo a la Ruse (SAB)

Stravinsky Violin Concerto

Symphony in Three Movements

After the Rain Pas de Deux

Andantino

The Cage

Les Carillons

Hallelujah Junction

Moves

Rubies

Symphony in C

Two Hearts

and a new Justin Peck/Stevens piece

Winter 2013: Jan 15- Feb. 24

Allegro Brillante

Diamonds

Divert from Le Braiser de la Fee

Mozartiana

New Martins/Tschaikovsky

Serenade

The Sleeping Beauty

Swan Lake (Act II)

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux

Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2

Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3

Concerto DSCH

Glass Pieces

Herman Schmerman (Pas de Deux)

New Peck/Stevens

New Martins/Dalbaive

N.Y. Export Jazz

Piano Trio

Symphony in C

Symphony in Three Movements

Vienna Waltzes

Variations pour une Porte et un Soupir

The Waltz Project

Western Symphony

West Side Story Suite

Who Cares?

Allegro Brillante

Andantino

The Cage

Concerto DSCH

Firebird

A Fool for You

New Justin Peck/Glass

Red Angles

Serenade

Sonatas and Interludes

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux

Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3

Spring 2012: April 30-June 9

Barber Violin Concerto

Calcium Light Night

Carousel (A Dance)

Fancy Free

Fearful Symmetries

Glass Pieces

Hallelujah Junction

I'm Old Fashioned

The Infernal Machine

Interplay

Ivesiana

New Wheeldon

N.Y. Export Jazz

Purple

River of Light

Slaughter on Tenth Avenue

Sophisticated Lady (Revival)

Stars and Stripes

Tarantella

Thou Swell

Two Hearts

Western Symphony

West Side Story Suite

Who Cares?

Allegro Brillante

Andantino

The Cage

Concerto DSCH

Firebird

A Fool for You

New Peck/Glass

Red Angles

Serenade

Sonatas and Interludes

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux

Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3

- The Fall Gala is Sept. 20th: TBA

- There is a Chief's Choice evening on September 22 which is new this season. It is an evening of selected masterworks and audience favorites by Peter Martins:

Scherzo a la Russe (SAB), Divert from Le Baiser de la Fee, Danses Concertants, and Firebird

- October 4th is a Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Duo Concertant, After the Rain (Pas), Moves, Hallelujah Junction

- February 1 is another Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Piano Trio, Herman Schmerman (pas), Variations pour une Porte et un Soupir, The Waltz Project

- February 9th is another Chief's Choice: Western Symphony, Symphony in Three Movements, Symphony in C

- The Spring Gala is May 9th: New Wheeldon and Glass Pieces

- May 25th is a Chief's Choice: Fancy Free, Carousel (A Dance), West Side Story Suite

- May 29th is another Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Red Angles, Sonatas and Interludes, New Peck/Glass (NYC Premiere), A Fool For You

Again, the Orchestra E, Third Ring, and Fourth Ring are not currently available for new subscription sales, nor may current subscriptions be upgraded into these areas.

Hope this helps ~

Actually, I'm not sure that's correct, susanger. They raised the subscription price from $49 to $51 for one section. I know my subscription ticket price thiis season for those tickets was $49. Also, I believe they raised the price in second highest category from $102 or $103 last season to $108 next season. The price level that I'm sure remained the same was the $26 section (full price $29).

I've been waiting for them to bring back Red Angels. Two weeks of Sleeping Beauty? Sounds like a bit much. I guess it sells. It's also interesting that they are bringing back Rubies and Diamonds on different programs. They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.

Actually, I'm not sure that's correct, susanger. They raised the subscription price from $49 to $51 for one section. I know my subscription ticket price thiis season for those tickets was $49. Also, I believe they raised the price in second highest category from $102 or $103 last season to $108 next season. The price level that I'm sure remained the same was the $26 section (full price $29).

So they didn't disappoint me. They did raise the prices. Thankfully, I have a $26 subscription.

They also seem to have reinstated the block programming, at least for the Fall Season. Each season also has a night when all tickets are $29. The programs seem to be designed to tell the old-time NYCB audience, "Not for you."

They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.
On special occasions, Diamonds, for instance, has appeared on an All-Tchaikovsky program or Rubies on an All-Stravinsky. I've never seen Emeralds except within the context of the full Jewels.

They've also posted a notice, "Because we are currently in website redevelopment, subscription orders (renewals and new subscriptions) are not available online at this time." Maybe visitors to the site will find some of those much-discussed, hoped-for features.

I'm eager to hear the fate of Society NYCB , nee Fourth Ring Society. :beg:

{They also seem to have reinstated the block programming, at least for the Fall Season. Each season also has a night when all tickets are $29. The programs seem to be designed to tell the old-time NYCB audience, "Not for you."}

One of the worst atrocities of the Martins reign of terror, back again--just when you thought it was safe to breathe a sigh of relief at the demise of 'block programming.' yucky.gifwallbash.gif

Not just designed to tell the 'old-time' NYCB audience 'not for you', but any audience with taste and standards. That sort of audience, of course, does not interest Martins.

abatt, I believe Ballet West did Emeralds alone a couple of years ago (very bizarre thought, isn't that?), and several companies have done Diamonds on all-Tchaik programs, sometimes all-Balanchine Tchaik as well.

It's also interesting that they are bringing back Rubies and Diamonds on different programs. They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.

Several companies do Rubies on its own (PNB got it first, and didn't add any of the other sections for several years after that), and I have seen some programs with just Diamonds (PNB is doing it on an all-Tschaikovsky program next spring). And I think that Oregon Ballet Theater performed Emeralds on its own last year, though I can't remember exactly when.

It seems that most companies that learn Jewels do it one section at a time, rather than adding the entire ballet from scratch. (rather like Seattle Opera's Ring cycle, which they staged over 4 years -- like those old "add a pearl" necklaces.)

Unless I'm mistaken - and I have no problem with correction - but this the first time I've ever seen an "ALL MARTINS" program.

On Tuesday, May 14th and on Saturday, May 18th at 2pm we'll be having:

Calcium Light Night

River of Light

Barber Violin Concerto

Fearful Symmetries

Pretty gusty I guess. At least he seemed to have put together some of his "best" ballets on the program. It certainly will be interesting to see how many seats will be filled on the days of those performances.

When I saw the All Martins program, I thought they had a lot of chutzpah to do that. Yes, we'll see how many tickets sell for that one. I guess Martins thought that since Wheeldon had an All Wheeldon program at NYCB, Martins deserved one also.

Unless I'm mistaken - and I have no problem with correction - but this the first time I've ever seen an "ALL MARTINS" program.

On Tuesday, May 14th and on Saturday, May 18th at 2pm we'll be having:

Calcium Light Night

River of Light

Barber Violin Concerto

Fearful Symmetries

Pretty gusty I guess. At least he seemed to have put together some of his "best" ballets on the program. It certainly will be interesting to see how many seats will be filled on the days of those performances.

I think I saw an all Martins / Adams program at some point in the past ... I seem to recall that "The Chairman Dances" and "Harmonielehre" were on the program, but can't for the life of me dredge up what the rest of it might have been. There's probably enough Martins / Adams for a whole darn festival.

abatt, I believe Ballet West did Emeralds alone a couple of years ago (very bizarre thought, isn't that?), and several companies have done Diamonds on all-Tchaik programs, sometimes all-Balanchine Tchaik as well.

Nevada Ballet Theater is scheduled to perform Jewels in October, in combination with Pacific Northwest Ballet and Ballet West. BW is dancing Emeralds, NBT is dancing Rubies and PNB is dancing Diamonds. The whole thing is supposed to be sponsored by Van Cleef and Arpels, who were the original "inspiration" for the work, which seems very sweet.

It seems that most companies that learn Jewels do it one section at a time, rather than adding the entire ballet from scratch. (rather like Seattle Opera's Ring cycle, which they staged over 4 years -- like those old "add a pearl" necklaces.)

sandik, you are right--a very odd trend. Houston Ballet, which added the entire ballet a couple of years ago, seems to be the only one which recently has acquired it entirely at once.

'Rubies' is showy so perhaps it's understandable why it's done alone, but the triptych is far more compelling as its intended artistic whole. there are all sorts of correspondences and linkages in choreography, body shapes, patterns in the three ballets, and 'Rubies' works far better between its more lyrical bookends...

I had not gotten around to checking the programming for Fall--and this thread did not leave me feeling optimistic--until tonight. I'm rather excited. If there were ever a block program I could live w. (speaking as someone who usually has to arrange a weekend trip to see any ballet and wants to see as many ballets & dancers as possible) it's Stravinsky Violin Concerto/Monumentum-Movements/Duo Concertante/Symphony in Three Movements.

Actually I would under any circumstances want to see that program more than once since it's pretty intense to take in so much at one go...And if I can't make that weekend there is also an Apollo/Orpheus/Agon block which will decidedly repay repeated viewing. I'm not a fan of block programming per se...but I'm pretty pleased about my options in the Fall (assuming circumstances permit travel etc.).

I'm afraid to say that it will also be interesting to see if these intense Balanchine-Stravinsky modernism programs really do sell much better than Martins-Millepied or Double Feature--or for that matter than Wheeldon-Ratmansky or Sleeping Beauty. My guess is that the Apollo/Agon one will do well--not so sure about the Violin Concerto program...In any case both are programs decidedly aimed at the "old time" NYCB audience...

I had not gotten around to checking the programming for Fall--and this thread did not leave me feeling optimistic--until tonight. I'm rather excited. If there were ever a block program I could live w. (speaking as someone who usually has to arrange a weekend trip to see any ballet and wants to see as many ballets & dancers as possible) it's Stravinsky Violin Concerto/Monumentum-Movements/Duo Concertante/Symphony in Three Movements.

Actually I would under any circumstances want to see that program more than once since it's pretty intense to take in so much at one go...And if I can't make that weekend there is also an Apollo/Orpheus/Agon block which will decidedly repay repeated viewing. I'm not a fan of block programming per se...but I'm pretty pleased about my options in the Fall (assuming circumstances permit travel etc.).

I'm afraid to say that it will also be interesting to see if these intense Balanchine-Stravinsky modernism programs really do sell much better than Martins-Millepied or Double Feature--or for that matter than Wheeldon-Ratmansky or Sleeping Beauty. My guess is that the Apollo/Agon one will do well--not so sure about the Violin Concerto program...In any case both are programs decidedly aimed at the "old time" NYCB audience...

Like me!