NYCB 2012-2013 SeasonRepertory Announced

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SCchck

SCchck

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Just received the First Look 2012-2013 Season Brochure. The brochure includes the third and final installment of the portrait campain of the Soloist and Corps de Ballet Company members photos by Henry Leutwyler, as well as the planned repertory for all three seasons.

Here is what is coming:
Fall 2012: Sept. 18- Oct. 14
Agon
Apollo
Danses Concertantes
Divertimento from "Le Baiser De La Fee
Duo Concertant
Firebird
Monumentum Pro Gesualdo
Movements for Piano and Orchestra
Orpheus
Scherzo a la Ruse (SAB)
Stravinsky Violin Concerto
Symphony in Three Movements
After the Rain Pas de Deux
Andantino
The Cage
Les Carillons
Hallelujah Junction
Moves
Rubies
Symphony in C
Two Hearts
and a new Justin Peck/Stevens piece

Winter 2013: Jan 15- Feb. 24
Allegro Brillante
Diamonds
Divert from Le Braiser de la Fee
Mozartiana
New Martins/Tschaikovsky
Serenade
The Sleeping Beauty
Swan Lake (Act II)
Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux
Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2
Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3
Concerto DSCH
Glass Pieces
Herman Schmerman (Pas de Deux)
New Peck/Stevens
New Martins/Dalbaive
N.Y. Export Jazz
Piano Trio
Symphony in C
Symphony in Three Movements
Vienna Waltzes
Variations pour une Porte et un Soupir
The Waltz Project
Western Symphony
West Side Story Suite
Who Cares?
Allegro Brillante
Andantino
The Cage
Concerto DSCH
Firebird
A Fool for You
New Justin Peck/Glass
Red Angles
Serenade
Sonatas and Interludes
Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux
Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3

Spring 2012: April 30-June 9
Barber Violin Concerto
Calcium Light Night
Carousel (A Dance)
Fancy Free
Fearful Symmetries
Glass Pieces
Hallelujah Junction
I'm Old Fashioned
The Infernal Machine
Interplay
Ivesiana
New Wheeldon
N.Y. Export Jazz
Purple
River of Light
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue
Sophisticated Lady (Revival)
Stars and Stripes
Tarantella
Thou Swell
Two Hearts
Western Symphony
West Side Story Suite
Who Cares?
Allegro Brillante
Andantino
The Cage
Concerto DSCH
Firebird
A Fool for You
New Peck/Glass
Red Angles
Serenade
Sonatas and Interludes
Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux
Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3

- The Fall Gala is Sept. 20th: TBA
- There is a Chief's Choice evening on September 22 which is new this season. It is an evening of selected masterworks and audience favorites by Peter Martins:
Scherzo a la Russe (SAB), Divert from Le Baiser de la Fee, Danses Concertants, and Firebird
- October 4th is a Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Duo Concertant, After the Rain (Pas), Moves, Hallelujah Junction
- February 1 is another Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Piano Trio, Herman Schmerman (pas), Variations pour une Porte et un Soupir, The Waltz Project
- February 9th is another Chief's Choice: Western Symphony, Symphony in Three Movements, Symphony in C
- The Spring Gala is May 9th: New Wheeldon and Glass Pieces
- May 25th is a Chief's Choice: Fancy Free, Carousel (A Dance), West Side Story Suite
- May 29th is another Specially Priced Performance - all seats $29: Red Angles, Sonatas and Interludes, New Peck/Glass (NYC Premiere), A Fool For You

Again, the Orchestra E, Third Ring, and Fourth Ring are not currently available for new subscription sales, nor may current subscriptions be upgraded into these areas.

Hope this helps ~

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

The complete season schedule for 2012-13 is now available in PDF format here: http://www.nycballet...g/2013/rag.html

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thanks, all. Happy to see the return of Balanchine rarities Porte et un Soupir and Ivesiana, plus Danses Concertantes, which we'll also see in DC with the Farrell troupe, in the fall.

#4 susanger

susanger

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Amazingly enough, the company did not raise the subscription renewal prices. Could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw that.Posted Image

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Actually, I'm not sure that's correct, susanger. They raised the subscription price from $49 to $51 for one section. I know my subscription ticket price thiis season for those tickets was $49. Also, I believe they raised the price in second highest category from $102 or $103 last season to $108 next season. The price level that I'm sure remained the same was the $26 section (full price $29).

I've been waiting for them to bring back Red Angels. Two weeks of Sleeping Beauty? Sounds like a bit much. I guess it sells. It's also interesting that they are bringing back Rubies and Diamonds on different programs. They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.

#6 susanger

susanger

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Actually, I'm not sure that's correct, susanger. They raised the subscription price from $49 to $51 for one section. I know my subscription ticket price thiis season for those tickets was $49. Also, I believe they raised the price in second highest category from $102 or $103 last season to $108 next season. The price level that I'm sure remained the same was the $26 section (full price $29).

So they didn't disappoint me. They did raise the prices. Thankfully, I have a $26 subscription.

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

They also seem to have reinstated the block programming, at least for the Fall Season. Each season also has a night when all tickets are $29. The programs seem to be designed to tell the old-time NYCB audience, "Not for you."

They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.

On special occasions, Diamonds, for instance, has appeared on an All-Tchaikovsky program or Rubies on an All-Stravinsky. I've never seen Emeralds except within the context of the full Jewels.

They've also posted a notice, "Because we are currently in website redevelopment, subscription orders (renewals and new subscriptions) are not available online at this time." Maybe visitors to the site will find some of those much-discussed, hoped-for features.

I'm eager to hear the fate of Society NYCB , nee Fourth Ring Society. :beg:

#8 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

{They also seem to have reinstated the block programming, at least for the Fall Season. Each season also has a night when all tickets are $29. The programs seem to be designed to tell the old-time NYCB audience, "Not for you."}

One of the worst atrocities of the Martins reign of terror, back again--just when you thought it was safe to breathe a sigh of relief at the demise of 'block programming.' Posted Image Posted Image
Not just designed to tell the 'old-time' NYCB audience 'not for you', but any audience with taste and standards. That sort of audience, of course, does not interest Martins.
abatt, I believe Ballet West did Emeralds alone a couple of years ago (very bizarre thought, isn't that?), and several companies have done Diamonds on all-Tchaik programs, sometimes all-Balanchine Tchaik as well.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's also interesting that they are bringing back Rubies and Diamonds on different programs. They've never split up Jewels before, to my knowledge. I know many companies only do Rubies. I've never heard of a stand-alone Diamonds, but I'm not complaining because I enjoy that ballet.

Several companies do Rubies on its own (PNB got it first, and didn't add any of the other sections for several years after that), and I have seen some programs with just Diamonds (PNB is doing it on an all-Tschaikovsky program next spring). And I think that Oregon Ballet Theater performed Emeralds on its own last year, though I can't remember exactly when.

It seems that most companies that learn Jewels do it one section at a time, rather than adding the entire ballet from scratch. (rather like Seattle Opera's Ring cycle, which they staged over 4 years -- like those old "add a pearl" necklaces.)

#10 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

No Concerto Barocco? No Four Temperaments? No Square Dance?

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

(PNB is doing it on an all-Tschaikovsky program next spring)

So much for working from memory -- it is not an "all-Tschaikovsky" program. That was at least two versions of the season schedule ago...

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

No Concerto Barocco? No Four Temperaments? No Square Dance?

Amy, why would you ever need those works when you have....(drumroll)...A Fool for You? [size=2](This is meant to be a joke.)[/size]

#13 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

I believe Ballet West did Emeralds alone a couple of years ago (very bizarre thought, isn't that?)

Miami City Ballet danced it alone at Wolf Trap in '92.

#14 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

Unless I'm mistaken - and I have no problem with correction - but this the first time I've ever seen an "ALL MARTINS" program.

On Tuesday, May 14th and on Saturday, May 18th at 2pm we'll be having:

Calcium Light Night
River of Light
Barber Violin Concerto
Fearful Symmetries

Pretty gusty I guess. At least he seemed to have put together some of his "best" ballets on the program. It certainly will be interesting to see how many seats will be filled on the days of those performances.

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

[size=5]When I saw the All Martins program, I thought they had a lot of chutzpah to do that. Yes, we'll see how many tickets sell for that one. I guess Martins thought that since Wheeldon had an All Wheeldon program at NYCB, Martins deserved one also.[/size]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):