This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Met's Ring, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

I wonder if it would have been more possible, if the artists and unions would have agreed, to have raised money for a Ring HD vs. the cancelled "Die Meistersinger" production as a farewell gift in honor of Jenkins, who leaves at the end of the Wagner Competition in summer 2014.

Either one would be a splendid gift -- I'm so sad that he's leaving at a financial low point for the company, since I can imagine some great tributes in a more affluent time.

#47 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

No, they're broadcasting the Met (on HD) Ring on the local Seattle station, which is also part of basic cable in Vancouver.

People ask Jenkins constantly about filming the Seattle Ring, and the answer is always, "No money for it." If the Company were able to get a magic technology grant, like PNB did to fund their video projects (not commercial) -- a decade ago Francia Russell was begging for $10K to replace the camera they used to video each performance for their library -- combined with a big check, then it might be possible.

Jenkins has been careful about not starting projects that shift money away from basic productions and operating expenses. The default is always "Microsoft" or "Paul Allen," but Microsoft is already a season sponsor and the Allen Family Foundation is a big donor in general.

I wonder if it would have been more possible, if the artists and unions would have agreed, to have raised money for a Ring HD vs. the cancelled "Die Meistersinger" production as a farewell gift in honor of Jenkins, who leaves at the end of the Wagner Competition in summer 2014.

Too bad! You got me excited! It is a crime not to immortalize the Seattle Ring! It is so beautiful!

As for Stemme I heard opera fanatics much older than I am who said she was better than Nilsson or anyone else they heard. I think I would break my opera disinterest if she were to release a "Wagner Arias/Scenes" cd or iTunes......I notice she's singing a concert of Wagner at the Mariinsky. Maybe it will be released on iTunes or video. It was one of the rare times I left an opera feeling like I had seen something for the ages.

#48 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Heads-up: This production will be shown on TV all of this week, as part of the Great Performances at the Met series. It kicks-off with the S. Froemke documentary tonight, followed by each of the 4 operas, in order, commencing with Das Rheingold on Tuesday. Check local PBS TV listings for times.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/

Thanks for the heads up, Natalia, and reviving the thread. Caught the documentary tonight.

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I caught it, too. That 'monster set' was...uh...interesting. It *does" fill-up the stage so that 'cheapness' does not really come to mind, as do the flimsy sets on recent Ratmansky ballets. I still prefer the simple beauty of old-fashioned academic realism but this is worth a look. At least it's 'free' for folks watching for the first time on TV.

A felt sorry for the New Yorkers who sat in the downpour in the middle of Times Square during the opening of Rheingold. That looked yucky.

#50 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

"Interesting" is the word. I felt sorry for the singers, especially poor Deborah Voigt flat on her butt, not a very dignified posture for Brunnhilde. Imagine Flagstad and Melchior trying to negotiate it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):