This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB Spring 2012 Season

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

I was disppointed without a Dancer's Choice too. I guess the surplus from the program was too little to justify all the time and effort. It's expensive to stage the program; musicians, stage hands, ushers... need to be paid, while the house's full but the prices were cheap. It's a great way to get people into the theater, that alone it's worth the time and effort.

#62 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

NYT Macaulay's season recap of City Ballet: http://www.nytimes.c...n.html?ref=arts

#63 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Here´s a section of the recap (I kept looking for a second page of it).

It’s fair to say that New York City Ballet has begun a renaissance. The recent season at the David H. Koch Theater kept supplying evidence of this, not least at Sunday’s closing performance of George Balanchine’s two-act “Midsummer Night’s Dream,” led by Teresa Reichlen as Titania and, even better, with Tiler Peck in the Act II divertissement.

Paradoxically, it’s also fair to say that the company’s doldrums, so evident in the 1990s and well into this century, show no sign of abating. The company still fields in prima roles a number of women who dance as twinkle-toed soubrettes, devoid of adult decisiveness, musicianly phrasing or linear beauty.
They have their male counterparts too: men who are amiably, efficiently and dully blank. Such dancers have reduced the company’s founding choreographers to Balanchine and Robbins Lite.
And yet such dancers have been consistently promoted by the company’s ballet master in chief, Peter Martins, for over two decades. Who can solve this conundrum in chief? ...

It does not help to look to Mr. Martins’s taste in new choreography.

#64 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

It seemed odd that MacCauley was complaining that Chase Finlay was underutilized. Wasn't he injured until recently? Of course they would start him off slowly when he is returning after a long period of absence.

#65 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

I just read an icenetwork article that noted that US (figure skating) Pairs team Felicia Zhang and Nathan Bartholomay went to see "West Side Story Suite" at NYCB to prepare for this season's free skate:

http://web.icenetwor...2&vkey=ice_news

#66 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

On a different note, has anyone heard anything about the continuation, or lack thereof, of "Society NYCB" (former 4th Ring Society)? I was assuming it would be continued, but now I'm wondering...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):